Submissions from Kesa Gatame

Discussion in 'MMA' started by PaulO, Oct 31, 2003.

1. PaulO

PaulO New Member

Hi I often find myself with my partner in this hold whilst rolling, just wanting to know which submissions you go for from this position?

My favourite has to be either the Americana shoulder lock with the legs or moving to my stomach and trapping the arm and applying a gi choke.

Post any submissions you work from this position.

2. Sporran

Sporran Silverback.

Not the best position to get subs from, as it's a bit easier to escape from than side control. I'd probable try to move to side control and go for keylock, or kimura or maybe try for kata gatame.
    Bring the leg up for a mounted triangle?

I usually train no gi (when my back isn;t injured GRRR), so gi chokes are out :)

3. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Banned Banned

I'd Rather strike in kesa than sub, trap thier arm with the legs in the americana position and then just keep punching to the face, and the occasional side headbutt!!

4. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

PaulO,
    Suggest that you pick up a book such as Submission Fighting Techniques by Steven S. Iverson (Spartan/ Atlas), not only is this a really excellent Grappling and Submission Book, but it has a whole chapter concerning Scarf Holds and how to get Submissions from the Top and from the bottom.

If you want more info, a review is here:
    http://www.martialartsadvice.com/cat.php?cat=4

Last edited: Oct 31, 2003
  5. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

When they bring an arm up to your face in attempt to push you back to reach their legs up and bring them over your head to pull you down, push the arm across and take the head/arm choke.

6. Disaster Master

Disaster Master New Member

In one of the early UFCs a Judo guy knocked out a kick boxer with elbows from Kese Gatame. Anyone remember that fight? Also Dan Severn was submitted by Mark Coleman with a neck crank from Kese Gatame.

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yes - Remco Pardoel vs Orlando Weit - UFC 2

If Weit had had 1 months grappling experience he'd have been out of there and back on his feet before the 1st elbow.

8. stump

stump Supersub

Hook a leg and take a kneebar???

9. Mr CUTTHROAT

Mr CUTTHROAT New Member

SCARF HOLD

You can go for a variety of submissions from the scarf hold, and
    modified scarf hold. You have the shoulder wrench ( americana with legs ), arm bar, step over arm bar, kata gatame, modified kata gatame ( arm in and arm under choke ), shoulder crank, reverse triangle choke. Certain moves require positioning from scarf hold to modified scarf hold.
    :woo: