Styles / Schools of Ju Jitsu

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Bouk Teef, Sep 18, 2003.

1. nj_howard

nj_howard Valued Member

Interesting that they include Daito-ryu as a koryu. I understand that there is quite a lively debate - among well-informed people - about whether it is koryu or gendai. Seems that some breaks in the line of transmission down the generations of the Takeda clan are central to the debate.

2. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

Not for you but, for the person asking originally. I miss quoted something probably.

3. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Hmmm, what would recommend be re-written? We shouldn't have it too koryu biased since the Meiji restoration saw the migration of Kodokan judo and jujutsu to Europe, the United Kingdom and the United States as well as other countries. In short, it would have to be a mother of an article.

4. nickh

nickh Valued Member

It's quite simple -- Ju Jitsu originated in western countries in the 20th century. It was mainly developed from mixing techniqes from judo, aikido and karate as well as weapons from Okinawa like sai, tonfa and nunchaku. It tends to stress "Victory through yielding" and refers to itself as "The Gentle Art."

5. Mekugi

Mekugi Valued Member

Ummm....no. That's not correct, sorry.

6. Mekugi

Mekugi Valued Member

Statements like these:
    Hojo cord? Egads.There is very little citation in the article as well. That needs to be cleaned up.

Interestingly enough, I was recently going through Serge Mol's book "Classical Fighting Arts of Japan." I was browsing through the Bibliography and noticed a book named Asayama Ichiden Ryu Taijutsu by Atsumi Nakashima, published in 1996 by Tokuyama, Risachi. I could not find this book in the National Library nor any reference to it; I tried to look up the publisher but there was nothing either. Ever heard of it or seen it?

-R

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Much if not most of the Uk's jujitsu is like that.

8. Mekugi

Mekugi Valued Member

That I would go along with~! :)

9. Gussigan

Gussigan Valued Member

haha, i may be new to it all, but didn't judo and aikido both originate from jujutsu?

10. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

yea id have to agree, some of those arts came from jujitsu

11. nickh

nickh Valued Member

Yes, they both originated from jujutsu. However, they, in turn, gave rise to ju jitsu.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  12. Kogusoku

Nicky old boy, you're going the right way for a smacked bottom. :woo:

13. Toby Threadgill

Toby Threadgill Valued Member

Hi Steve, Russ.....,

I can't resist this......

So, Mr Nick. Could you please provide the kanji for ju jitsu?

Ohhhhh.....I forgot. There's no such kanji that makes any friggin' sense in Japanese. So jujitsu is......what exactly? Kinda like calling football..... fetboil.

Let me see if I can do this justice. What do you fink kuzouit the fetboil game last bweek detween. Boiminghum and Manbescher.

Sorry. You get the "I failed Japanese" buzzer.

Zzzzzzzzz.

:)

Toby Threadgill / TSYR

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  14. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

Mr. Threadgill,

(Excellent impersonation of a man from Northern England there actually..Not too far off, and I understood you better!).

It's easy. 充実... Or 慈雨実 or 自由実

Of course, you are correct in that none of them mean anything worthy or talking about..

Nick's a good bloke too, he's ripping the **** out of the men in the UK who usually go by the name of "Sensei Frank/Bob/Dick/Harry" and those of their ilk who believe that Aikido, with a little Judo and Karate added to it, along with some Bokkenjutsu (Really..I'm not making this up) make something worthy of the name "Jujitsu"...And I guess they are right, seeing as it ain't a complete word that means what they want it to mean..

Some people should have been put down at birth...A touch spartan perhaps, but it is shown to be true daily.

My regards..

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  15. nickh

nickh Valued Member

Actually, to my (South African) ears, both are equally incorrect pronunciations of 'soccer.'

P.S. Welcome to MAP, Mr Threadgill.

16. Toby Threadgill

Toby Threadgill Valued Member

LOL...

Its nice to make your aquaintence gentlemen....Sorry I missed the sarcasm. Always nice to consort with those whose sense of humor outweighs their seriousness.

Nick, we could go on the road as a comedy team. We'll call ourselves the "ex-colonials" and make fun of words like Worchestershire pronounced "Woostershur"

Comedy is such a tough gig in the cyberworld that I'm glad anytime somebody gets my jokes. I knew Delaney would but that's only because he's Irish and we've consumed staggering amounts of Guiness until obscene hours of the morning. He also laughed the time I demonstated my superior tenouchi by whacking him right in the eye with a bokken...Now that's a sense of humor.

Oh....And then there's the time we were in Taunton to personally observe the Estonian kitty vs the violated Mallorcan's.

I'm not saying another word.......

17. fanatical

fanatical Cool crow

Actually, jujitsu is like calling football ソッカ. It's the attempt to write the same word in a different language's typeset while at the same time changing the word, however to a word people allready agree on means the same. (soccer/football).

The oldest translation of 柔術 is Jiu-jitsu. Then came Jujitsu, and in later days when a standardized official romanization set came along, people have started typing it jujutsu.

The u sound was the last to change, how do you think of that logically without looking at facts? If it was the first, it would have been called Jiu-jutsu and made the leap straight to Jujutsu.

If we were to be completely anal about the japanese language, like fifthchamber, Jujutsu is also wrong, since that would be: 呪術 The art of incantations. I've always heard that 柔 was written with an elongated U sound, AKA: じゅう not じゅ

I guess we should start writing it Juujutsu or simply not be childish about the name used to describe the art in a foreign language. It's amazing how those crazy south-africans and americans are allowed to call it soccer. It's the wrong word! lol omg!

18. Kogusoku

Hey I've got a thick skull and a thicker hide. If I didn't laugh, I'd cry!

Ooh yes, I have wondered if there was any scarring from that little escapade. Boy those claws were sharp!

19. fifthchamber

There's a strip club in Taunton? Never would have guessed..

Almost too many violated Mallorcans in Stringfellows I should think...

And welcome to MAP..

;)

20. fifthchamber

And aye, it is...It should be じゅうじゅつ ( 柔術 ).
    I prefer to write it with a line indicating the extended "U" sound, but since I can't be arsed to do that on the PC it's simply easier to write it as "Jujutsu" and let you imagine I wrote the line above the "U"...

Besides..."Toukyou" means nothing to anyone.."Tokyo" however...

It's a pain in the ketsu for sure..