Styles / Schools of Ju Jitsu

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Bouk Teef, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Bouk Teef

Bouk Teef Valued Member

I am intersted in finding out how many different schools / styles there are in Ju jitsu. Can anyone post a link explaining where and when Ju Jitsu originated.

Thanks

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

You might have trouble... At one time in the height of jujutsu popularity in Japan there were several hundred registered ryu. Finding out information on every style would be just about impossible...

3. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

Bouk Teef:

Aegis is right, & here are just a few:

Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu (Poss. first school in the 1400's)
    Muso-Jikiden Ryu (Foundation of armored techniques: Yawara-gi)
    Daito Ryu (Foundation of Aikido)
    Takenouchi Ryu (Takeuchi Ryu)
    Sekiguchi Ryu
    Oguri Ryu (Foundation of Wajitsu)
    Nagao Ryu ( Foundation of Taijitsu)
    Kito Ryu ( Foundation of Kodokan)
    Jikishin Ryu ( First use of the word "judo")
    Tenjin Shin'yo Ryu

Last edited: Sep 18, 2003
  4. morphus

morphus Doobrey

There are juust too many to mention.

5. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

and each ryu has a certain specialty

6. Jim

Jim New Member

7. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

One comonly practiced today s goshin ryu.Meaning "MOdern" i believe.It is no less traditional.

8. Qasim

Qasim Guest

Don't forget Sosuishi Ryu

9. Mekugi

Mekugi Valued Member

Araki ryu
    Asayami Ichiden Ryu
    Fusen Ryu
    Iga ryuha Katsushin ryu
    Sekiguchi Shin shin ryu
    Shiden Fudo Ryu Taijutsu
    Shosho Ryu
    Takagi Ryu
    Yagyu Shingan ryu
    Yoshin Ryu

This could be a while.... :)

10. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

And then there's modern too.

I have a long list in one of my books, and their specialities.
    I'll try and dig it out.

11. Rhea

Aisu-Kage - sword
    Araki - chained weapons
    Daito - close combat
    Hakatsu - close combat
    Hasegawa - sword
    Hioki - archery
    Hoki - sword
    Hozo-in - spear
    Isshin - chained weaopns
    Itto - sword
    Jikishin - close combat
    Juki - close combat
    Kajima - archery
    Katori-Shinto - sword
    Kito - close combat
    Kyushin - close combat
    Kobo - swimming
    Koto-Eiri - sword
    Kukishin - staff
    Kankai - swimming
    Masaki - chained weapons
    Miura - close combat
    Mukai - swimming
    Muso-Jukiden-Eishin - sword
    Muso-Shinden - sword
    Nen - sword
    Nichioku - archery
    Nihon - archery
    Nito - sword
    Omori - sword
    Sasanuma - swimming
    Sekiguchi - close combat
    Shibukawa - close combat
    Shinden - swimming
    Shindo-Muso - staff
    Shinkage - sword and spear
    Shin-no-Shindo - close combat
    Shinto - sword
    Soken - archery
    Suifu - swimming
    Takeda - swimming
    Takenouchi - close combat
    Tendo - spear
    Taimya - sword
    Tenjin-Shinyo - close combat
    Tenshin-Shoden-Katori-Shinto - sword and spear
    Toda - chained weapons
    Yagyu - sword
    Yagyu-Shingan - close combat
    Yamanouchi - swimming
    Yoshin - close combat

These are the specialities of bujutsu these ryu were noted for.

12. Mekugi

Mekugi Valued Member

What book are these from?

13. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Looks like Ratti & Westbrook's "Secrets of the Samurai!"

14. Mekugi

Mekugi Valued Member

Eww....not the best of books.

15. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jujutsu

And, this isn`t the best of sources either but should get you started. Can you read japanese?

16. Mekugi

Mekugi Valued Member

Err...get me started? Don't follow you there...I believe you've got some wires crossed! :)

That Wiki article needs a major re-write. Steve...little project when you get back? We can start pounding away at it little by little and make it better if you have some time.

Anyway, "read Japanese" depends on your defintion. I can read Hirigana and Katakana- so in one sense I can read. Yet that does not mean I understand everything I read. When it comes to Kanji...that's an entirely different beast. I have to continually refer to a dictionary to get proper meaning.

I can, however, recognize and pronounce some kanji. I recognize more than I can pronounce, though- and Kanji combinations are something entirely different as well.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  17. Mekugi

Mekugi Valued Member

The best place to start reading/researching is Sumo. Originally called Sumai, it was the likely candidate or "base" for Koryu Jujutsu schools. Sumai's roots stem from Shinto Fertility Ceremonies that were prevalent around the 4th and 5th centuries, set into a tournament form in the 8th century. What we know as Jujutsu (and sumo) today has little to do with the original Sumai. This is probably because of the use of weapons and necessity of the times fueled the development it underwent. Bushi through the early ages of Jujutsu were versed in grappling, butwhat they were doing was probably not recorded as an actual "school." There may have been some formalized teaching, but it seemed to be just "stuff" that they would do almost always taking second fiddle to weapons. The major records that we have (some of schools that they belong to still exist) really start out in the 15th and 16th centuries, when Japan was war torn and schools/methods started to be "accurately" recorded and recognized. Jujutsu at this point was probably rough and tumble and very simplistic, In the 17th century, you have the start of a lengthy era of peace, so Jujutsu went through a major change. Further on down the line in the late 18th century, there is a sort of "renaissance" of Jujutsu in Japan, as some schools appear to separate from their weaponed counterparts and new ones are created altogether. In the 19th century you have an increased travel within Japan because the archaic, feudal boundaries are lifted and students began visiting other schools to challenge them and learn. There was also a great surge of foreign culture in Japan to catalyst things, leading to further development. Then you have the appearance of Dr. Kano and Kodokan Judo, which infiltrated the school system and the Tokyo Police department.
    Contrary to popular belief, Jujutsu didn't flourish in feudal Japan. It did exist and it must have been a necissity at one point or another, but truly the time that is seems to really have evolved is in time of peace...namely the Edo Jidai (17th&18th century) and early Meiji Jidai (Late 19th and early 20th century).
    I think that about covers it...did I leave anything out?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  18. Rhea

My list came from several actually I have lying around. Secrets of the Samurai was one, some appear in all. Don't ask me to remember the titles, I was at someone else's house and nearly asleep at the time. I actually would rather know what is wrong so I can correct it myself!

19. Mekugi

Mekugi Valued Member

Here are some examples:

Kukishin- Staff

Shinkage- sword and spear.

Shindo Muso- staff

Kukishin Ryu is famous for many things, the staff, sword, naginata and spear to name a few. (The same goes for Tenshinsho Den Katori Shinto Ryu).

Shinkage ryu is famous for it's sword. The Owarikan ryu is famous for the spear, but does Shinkage ryu. So, the other lines of Shinkage ryu do not have the spear in them.

Shinto Muso Ryu is famous for the jo (short staff) along with the assimilated ryu that it teaches., there is no regular staff.

Things like that. A better, more accurate list can be found at koryu.com's ryu guide.

20. Rhea

Wow, thanks! Where's my pencil...