Studying JKD and Wing chun.

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Kframe, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Hey JKD guys.

I have a opportunity to study at a JKD place that also offers class's in WC and Kali.
    Now I already plan on taking JKD and Kali, but my main question is to the relationship between JKD and WC.

Now I cant always attend the Saturday class, only every other Saturday, so I want to maximize my training by taking all that's available on the Tuesdays and Thursdays.
    Tuesday its JKD then Jkd and kickboxing blend.(two separate class's JKD is its own class, then a mixed JKD kick boxing class after)

Thursday is three separate class' CRCA wing chun, followed by Kali and then silat. Now it is a 35 minute drive from work to this place and when I leave work and arrive there, id be in time for the start of the WC class. I just think it would be rude and a waste to not do it while im just sitting there waiting for that kali class to start.
    Saturdays they go from 9-2pm doing all the separate arts and ill hit as many Saturdays as I can, but for now its only every other.

So how is the interplay between studying JKD and Wing chun? I was watching some CRCA wing chun videos and the stance they use is a bit different then other WC stances, kinda bladed. It doesn't look to different(apart from some minor things and the guard) from my boxing stance, which I used in mma sparring.

Will doing WC screw up the JKD? I know the JKD will feature some Wing chun, so would that kind of make the wing chun class just a advanced jkd trapping class?

So how will the interplay work out guys?

I know it would be best to just avoid it, but that just doesn't sit well with me. Im going to be there anyways, just sitting there waiting for kali to start, and JKD features a good deal of wing chun. Surely I should be able to get something out of it. Of course ill be asking the instructor for his opinion, and ill relay what he says.

I have no issue studying more then one art, as I know in the thick of a spar or fight, im not going to worry about fighting in one style or another, im just going to do what my instincts say to do that moment regardless of style.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate the input.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Wing Chun is one of the "core arts" of JKD and as such a lot of what you learn in WC will have a lot of carry over to JKD - as you have identified the trapping, but also some striking (jik chun choie), centerline theory and economy of motion to name but a few.

Although I was - and in terms of the "average" WC still am - a bit of a cynic towards it, I have trained in it quite a lot recently and have found lots of gold in there :)

WC will definitely help your JKD, but be wary that it won't necessarily work the other way round. My advice is to do it - as it is part of the same club the linkages will be even more apparent

3. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

The guy I trained JKD with felt that WC was an excellent place to come from to learn JKD, not so sure how that would work in reverse

But there is a guy teaching Wing Chun in Hong Kong who did train JKD. But I am not sure if he trained Wing Chun first and went to JKD and then back to Wing Chun or if he went from JKD to Wing Chun. I will look for his name and post it later maybe someone else would know more about him than I

Edit:

Well that was quicker than I expected. It is sifu Kong Chi Keung and there may be videos on YouTube of him talking about Wing Chun and JKD. He is on emptymind films "Wing Chun A Documentary" talking about it

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  4. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Thanks for advice Guys.

I am really excited, I have never had this kind of opportunity before.

One thing im kinda thinking about, is the vertical fist. How safe is using the bottom three as opposed to the top 2? It seams the bottom two are smaller bones that will break easier. Having said that, I have seen some guys with conditioned hands and the bottom three looked quite beefy.

So what is the risk with Punching with the vertical fist and bottom 3? Do you guys condition your hands and arms? I plan on using Dale Dugas's iron hand dvd and advice when I start my own hand conditioning.

I have played around with vertical fist punching like that and it does feel a bit better for some angles of attack, but im concerned about the knuckles.