Study Judo 1 time per week

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Nettey04, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Nettey04

Nettey04 Valued Member

I have been training in TKD with a mix of Boxing,Kickboxing, & BJJ. As far as the BJJ we will not cover a lot of techniques just the basics (I do not know what basics for we have not started that yet). That being said I have started to study Judo from a friend of mine that hold class 2 times per week. I am only able to make 1 1hr class per week. My question is do you think it is better to go 1 time a week or should I not go at all? Will I be able to learn or retain enough info to be any go?

2. enclosed

enclosed New Member

From what you say, your main learning has been in TKD + your Boxing and Kickboxing mix. If this is the case it will probably be most beneficial for you to continue studying your Judo, even if it is for a small amount of time per week, it would appear that in your situation, Judo would be an excellent cross-training chance for you, which you should take advantage of, if you already know other martial arts I doubt that you will need to be in any great hurry with new learning, and taking it slow might help as it won't overload you with information.

3. Nettey04

Nettey04 Valued Member

enclosed, I did not look at it that way. Great response.

4. enclosed

enclosed New Member

Glad I could be of some use.

5. Chr9is

Chr9is New Member

I'd say its well worth it. I mean once a week is still better than nothing. I'm only taking Judo only once a week(1 1/2 hour class) and although i would like to take more, time and to some degree financial constraints keep me from taking more. I am definitly learning, and I've got my first belt test tommorow. :) THeres no reason why you wouldn't benefit from taking Judo, even if it is only once aweek

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

A little is better than nothing, especially if you're looking to become a well rounded fighter. Take the Judo class and enjoy yourself :)

7. Yeah, once a week is fine!!!

At the moment, I'm only training for one, 1½ class per week (admittedly with another grappling class thrown in). This hasn't really affected my ability to move up the KYU ranks, although if I'm going to seriously attempt my Black Belt I'm going to have to put more training into it.

8. zumtream

zumtream Valued Member

I do three hours of Judo a week but i used to only do the 1 hour. I learned a lot just doing 1 hour a week and think, if you are training in all those other martial arts, then you don't want to train to much because you will end up burnt out or injured.
    And Judo will mix really well with the standing MAs you are doing at the moment. It's always useful to be able to have grappling in you toolbox.

9. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Look at it this way...

You'll pick up some good throwing techniques, breakfalls and some groundtechniques. All these things will improve your overall ability.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  10. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

If you don't go at all you'll learn nothing, if you go for one hour a week, you'll learn something.

You could spen the time when you're not actually physically training, reflecting on what you did in the session.