Study: Americans sicker than English

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Nevada_MO_Guy, May 3, 2006.

1. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

The young couple next door went out for a birthday dinner for her dad last night and asked my wife to babysit for them. When I got back from class last night, I stopped in to check on my wife and the baby. I was appalled at their refrigerator. (I was getting a bottle, not just checking out their refrig.) Not one vegetable in the refrigerator. They had juice, cottage cheese, lunch meat, and prepared meals. Nothing to cook. Unfortunately, an awful lot of young couples here in the states are the same way. Both work and they eat out all the time. Very little cooking. Lots of processed foods. That is why the health of so many here is so bad.

On the other hand, we have some of the healthiest people in the world. We have the best health care, tremendous opportunities to work out and be fit, and the best food.

It really comes down to a choice about which group you want to be in.

2. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Watch supersize me, nuff said. There was a guy on there who drank on average a gallon of soda a day or more :|

3. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

10 Reasons Men Won't Visit the Doctor

Some good replies.

I also think that the health problems could be because men don't like going to the doctor....at least in the US of A

I remember a study in Mens Health once, that showed married men live longer than single men, simply because of the loving..often nagging...wife.

Women are more use to going to the doctor...since early...and are not intimidated by the visits.
    So Hubby is sick, wiffy gets his butt to the doctor.
    Single guy is sick....tries to tough it out.

I know that I've never been to the doctor after my seperation physical, from the Navy,....just need asprian....it will get better.

10 Reasons Men Won't Visit the Doctor

Sitting around.
    According to a study published in the American Journal of Public Health, a key reason why men don't visit the doctor is the waiting time involved. Men's reluctance to visit the doctor anyway is simply compounded by the amount of time spent waiting.

Health Services are Feminised.
    Dr Ian Banks, President of the Men's Health Forum, found that both men and health professionals feel health services make men feel unwelcome. One reason is the feminised way health practices are organised in terms of decor and bias of information towards women. Men said they wanted to see more men's magazines, men's health posters, or even movies. Why, asks Ian Banks, can't surgeries be held in bars, golf clubs, or other places men are likely to be?

Embarrassment.
    Men find it difficult to discuss intimate emotions, sexual difficulties, mental health issues like stress and depression, or physical problems that can affect the bowel or genital areas. Even sharing information with a best friend can be an embarrassment for both the person and their friend. Why? men simply aren't used to it and as a result they find these situations uncomfortable and to be avoided.

No point unless there is something wrong.
    Under the age of 40, men mostly view doctors in terms of emergencies, surgery, or dealing with sick people. In these terms men see little point in visiting the doctor unless something is very obviously wrong with themselves.

Men aren't socialized into visiting the doctor.
    John W. Saultz, M.D., professor and chairman of Family Medicine at Oregon Health Sciences University points out that from around the age of 16 girls continue to visit the doctor for routine gynecologic or maternity care whereas contact for men often stops. This helps to explain why waiting rooms are nearly always filled with women, children and older people. This is a situation many men find uncomfortable and have difficulty associating themselves with.

'Suck it up'.
    From a young age men are socialized into internalizing their emotions and their physical discomfort. In some male-centred occupations these 'qualities' are actively encouraged. Subsequently many men who want to disclose information about their mood state, or even their physical state, don't know where to start.

Defects are signs of weakness.
    This relates to the socialization issue. Not only do visits to the doctor signal illness or an inability to cope, it can appear to many men, to say something about masculinity. A lot of men would simply prefer to grit their teeth and hope 'it' will go away.

Fear of being judged.
    A common concern in men is that their problem or physical state is something unique. Nothing could be further from the truth and the chances of your doctor never having come across your situation before are so small, they don't merit much thinking about.

Men exaggerate the negative qualities of healthcare provision.
    As part of their rationale, many men find reasons why health services are inadequate, a waste of time, over-costly, etc. Sometimes this is little more than an excuse, but there are occasions when a visit to the doctor leaves men feeling genuinely dissatisfied - and this can be for any number of reasons.

Doctors aren't equated with preventative health.
    From the age of about 40 onwards men generally have to see their doctor more regularly. At this point they may start to see the benefits of screening rather than waiting for something to go wrong.

http://menshealth.about.com/od/embarrassments/a/10_reasons_p.htm

4. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Same applys to guys in the UK

5. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I know what you mean. I have a supervisor at work, not mine btw, who is easly 400 lbs. Everyday and I mean everyday he goes out for lunch. He will return with either a large greasy pizza, or a 20 piece from kfc, or a bag of burgers from McD along with a 64 oz cola. He claims to have a joint condition (I wonder why) that prevents him from exercising. I wonder what your joints have to do with your diet choices.

6. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Is fast food really cheap in America or something? No way most people here could afford to eat it that often.

7. Athleng Nordic

It's not really cheaper just more conveint.

8. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I prefer a beautifully aged Tbone steak with a few beers :love:.

9. Athleng Nordic

I prefer New York and and a tequila. :love:

10. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

Guess he is eating down his frustration of his joint condition !
    :eek: Even though its a vicious circle: he eats unhealthy food and doesn't exercise so it neither will help his joint condition nor improve his overall health.

I had a similar friend some years back, who ate his family frustrations & work frustrations down with three large pizzas each evening. I mean, a normal person can maybe manage a medium but three ! large pizzas for one person. :eek:

Christian

11. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I still kinda' don't get what a Chav is. I googled it but I'm confused-ball cap, sports apparel, jewelry...and this is supposed to be a bad thing?

Like the site put Britney Spears and 50 Cent as Chavs along with Jim Davidson (the commedian).

Last edited: May 6, 2006
  12. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

Since you are from OK, think of a red neck white trailer trash type of thing. You can usually tell a neo nazi by looking at them, but you also know that not everyone that has a skinhead is a neo nazi. You can tell a chav by looking at them, but not everyone in that attire is one and you generally can tell them apart fairly easily.

13. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Ah...an analogy that I understand. Thanks.

14. philp

philp New Member

It's catching on over here , the whole fast food every 15meters thing. I went out to my local town center the other day, there's at least 100% more places to get fast food there than there is to buy anything else :(

That's bad. :(

15. NaziKiller

NaziKiller New Member

I don't get why people like you are complaining about the amount of fast food restaurants available. You people (most of you, I think) eat right. Let the idiots who don't eat right, die. It's just the lamest friggin' excuse when someone says "I didn't know it was bad for my health!".

16. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Tell him to get his fat butt to the local swimming pool for some aquaerobics, that will not put any pressure on his fat joints.

Watch him think up an excuse then.

17. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Apparently in America it costs more to live on healthy food compared to junk food in some places

18. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I believe the same is true here. If a meal for you is a burger and chips, you can get that for less money than a main course with a healthy selection of vegetables. That's the argument as to why obesity seems more common in socioeconomically deprived areas of affluent countries.

19. Athleng Nordic

WHAT! Ruin the odds in the betting pool. Not on your life. :D

20. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

The doctors have stressed swimming as the ideal exercise for my arthritis. Yet it hurts to swim nearly as much as jogging. Walking in the pool is alright, but I would rather take a real walk with my wife.

There is no excuse for anyone to weigh 400 lbs. He can lose the weight if he chooses to.