Study: Americans sicker than English

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Nevada_MO_Guy, May 3, 2006.

1. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

im not sure where you live in the UK, but where i live there are a lot of obese people.

when i went to chicago in march i noticed ver little difference in the deomgraphic at all to be honest.

2. On a farm. :D Lotsa healthy, countryside people and miles and miles of walking.

3. KaratekaAndy

KaratekaAndy Male (95% of the time)

Actually I live in a cave ;)

4. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

ahhh, i live in a suburb quite near a city.

i remember the good old days when poor people had the decency to look under-nourished :p

5. I remember when poor people were to be pitied as well. Now the lower-class scum seem to have the country held to ransom.

6. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

A V string would be more precise I would think ;).

7. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

you see, i was joking. :cool:

8. I hate chavs. :bang:

9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

WOAH!!! Time out!!!!

You said you hate poor people, then you said you hate chavs.... let's get this straight: do you think all poor people are chavs.... or all chavs are poor people? :confused:

I've got a bad feeling about where this is going. :eek:

Let's be clear about this - chavs are yobs who dress a certain way and act a certain way, right?

I'm not trying to pick on you here Rags, and I might be taking your posts waaay out of context (in which case I apologise)...... but it seems to me like we (as a country) are heading towards the point where any working-class kid in a pair of trainers is going to get labelled a 'chav'. It's like snobbery is going to be back in fashion again.

And speaking for myself, I'd prefer chavs to snobs..... :woo:

What do you reckon? :confused:

10. Nah I apologize.

You know what I meant tho. :p

I've got nothing against poor people. Apart from the ones who deserve it. Most Chavs do. You wanna mess up school, not go to College, live on the dole then that's your problem.

11. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

Abit off topic but i wear trackies and a t-shirt then when an old uninformed twit comes along thinks im the same as these yobs because of my clothes really angers me.

But back on to topic imo its really all bout diet if you look a pre-packed meat here its got 50 different types of sugar and about 100 additives, e-colours, yeast for the fun of it. Plus even adults dont have a clue what a healthy diet looks like i heard someone say jam on toast is a very healthy breakfast last week , for a start the jam has about 50g of carbs that sugar see where im going. Nutrition has to be taught in schools or how is anyone going to know unless they want to become healthy and research into the topic.

12. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

You get my point regardless. :D

13. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I must admit, we can't say All Americans are fat, tonnes aren't however, here is my take on it:

I get the bus to college each morning. I stand at the bus stop and kids wander by going to the primary school. After at least 70 children 3 were thin. A lot of the others were chunky or sporting bellies already. Primary school... age 4 - 11 and 67 outta 70 kids are already fat!?

My dad isn't as such obese, but he isn't thin either. However he is 68 nearly, trains at the gym 3 days a week, pushes weights that would surprise you. How come when he was a lad, very few epople were fat? Here is why i think:

At boarding school they made their own fun, chasing eachother, playing tig etc., making 'dens'. They walked to school or to class, unless they were in boarding school where they still walked about. Ready Meals didn't exist, rationing was still aorund when he was able to know it.

These days, kid gets up. Walks downstairs. Microwave porridge or Fad cereal with tonnes of choccy and additives in it no doubt. They pick up their bag and get driven to school, walk and sit down into class. Thats a total distance of 50 metres walked for the first 3/4 hours of the day. Lunchtime, dunno what they do these days but no doubt they get school dinners, again filled with excrement. They get picked up and taken home. Total distance walked up to about 4pm in the evening, 200m ?? They sit down, play PC, consoles, watch TV. It has been proven that Soaps actually cause your brain to deteriorate faster than normal. They have dinner, no doubt more ready-packed rubbish. Play more console etc.

So in a full day they have walked about 300 metres and eaten just rubbish? What amazes me is people say they didn't know this foo would make them fat

14. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but do you have anything to support this? Just curious is all.

15. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

It was shown on BBC or something a little while ago, all the study about it etc. but I can't remember what it was called or where to find it again.

16. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I'd like to add a point to the discussion. Right now Coke is running an advertising marketing campagin my coke rewards. I just saw a advert for it and got reminded. I went to the site and looked over the junk you can get. For only 25 points you can get a free movie rental. At 3 points a cap you have to drink 9 20 oz sodas at a buck and a quarter to get your movie rental. I can go rent the damn thing for less than 5 bucks.

It's this kind of crap here in the States that helps to push the obesity problem over the edge. Or is it just natural selection taking place. :confused: Corperations want people to develop brand loyalty and to buy thier crap often. It seems the ability to cook a meal from raw ingredients has become a lost art. Ah well they get to die and I get to live.

17. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Does that include Welsh people? :eek: If so, we just eat normal sized portions. :D

18. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

I agree.

Plus, being a vegetarian, I find that there is usually more veggie/vegan options available to choose from in Wales. This is very obvious in many tourist areas, where there are lots of outdoor pursuits and (I assume) a higher proportion of the local and visiting population are more aware of healthy eating. :love:

19. RobA

RobA New Member

it may very well be the tea , (hopefully without sounding too stereotypical here) Americans on a whole consume more Soda (softdrinks) than any other country in the world. currently the American FDA is conducting research on Softdrinks in the US and the possible links to illnesses they cuase.

20. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

My Missus agrees when she moved up here from Llanelli she was amazed that a city the size of Glasgow had less veggie places and health food shops than Swansea.