Student can't help switching stances

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by jordanblythe104, Jun 7, 2012.

1. jordanblythe104

jordanblythe104 Valued Member

One of my students keeps switching from an orthidox stance to a southpaw stance and no matter what I tell him he can't help but do it anyway. It's almost like he's flinching. Anybody else have this problem/ know what to do?

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Why don't you just let them use a southpaw stance then?

3. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Why can't he stay in southpaw?

4. jordanblythe104

He can use southpaw but he switches back and forth and he sais he prefers orthidox

5. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

Well we drill every technique on both sides, and I switch back and forth from normal to southpaw during sparring. Nothing wrong with being ambidextrous.

6. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Oh. Switching in the pocket is bad news. Usually the best thing to do is throw a flurry when he switches. He'll have to learn the hard way that he can't throw or maneuver in the middle of a switch.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I used to do that, I got told "You're not Bruce Lee. Pick one and stick with it!" Worked for me.

Also, getting hit.

8. jordanblythe104

well unfortunately I can't just tell him. He's going to have to learn the hard way :evil:

9. jordanblythe104

This is thai boxing dude

10. minamo9

minamo9 ファイター

I used to have it all the time, until a member of the forum here told me that i needed to do drills on a punching bag in order to get comfortable with one side and the steps that come with it. Changing sides often happens in chaos when you dont come out with your steps and still want to be able to cover up. I suggest drilling it in until the steps feel more natural.

11. jordanblythe104

That sounds more realistic, cheers minamo9. So what kind of drills would you recomend?

12. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

So you don't teach your guys to switch step?

13. minamo9

minamo9 ファイター

Start out with simple combo's on the punching bag, focussing on the steps and the technique rather then the speed. (speed comes later) If that goes well you can slowly teach advanced combinations. With the drills he needs to stay on one side. While the pressure of sparring is not there this should not be too much of a problem.

You could also let him dodge and weave while softly jabbing at him, and tell him he can only avoid them with the same leg in front of him. (increases dashing speed aswell!)

The above should give the student more confidence to stay in one stance. The student however, needs to be confident enough to eventually use those things during sparring or matches. Building confidence is a whole different topic, and one i'm far less educated in.

Greetings,

Henk

14. minamo9

minamo9 ファイター

There is a difference between a switch-step and changing kicking leg constantly. The switch-step is not a basic technique. It would only confuse the guy more if he did not even figured on what stance works best for him. Eventually, when the guy is used to a basic stance, he can switch leg occasionally to suprise his opponent. Doing this constantly only creates openings and fatigue.

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I agree with that but there is something to be said for practicing on both sides to at least get some familiarity. I definitely feel he should choose a dominant side but if he has a tendency to go southpaw often he should work with what's natural. I've met guys who were so-so orthodox who became good fighters once they went southpaw, even if they weren't natural left handers.

16. jordanblythe104

I don't encourage students to switch stance frequently during sparring because it can cause them to loose balance. Although I do agree they should learn southpaw if it suits them better if thats what you're trying to say

17. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

Switching stance knowingly as a tactic when you've reached a certain level is one thing, switching stances because it's your natural reaction and you cant control it is another.

Fighters like Alistair Overeem and Buakaw switch it up a lot, it's a concious choice for them though.

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I agree. That's why I feel it's important to work your dominant side but don't forget your non-dominant side. You can rattle some guys by changing your stance and constantly forcing them to adapt. Nonito "The Filipino Flash" Donaire is a great example of a boxer that can effectively switch between orthodox and southpaw and able to finish the fight either way.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVZB7Apu7B0"]Nonito Donaire Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

19. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

[​IMG]

That may be related to a common trend for natural born lefties to have their left-handed dominance unrecognized and end up conditioned into writing, and performing most other functions, on their non-dominant side. Given the stress of sparring, their brains may be inclined to revert to what should have been their dominant side as a child too. Many of them fail to understand they were originally born left-handed.

20. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

To the OP,

If your primary concern is to limit the amount of stance switching, have the student try to keep the same shoulder turned in towards his opponent/training partner the whole time. Since there is a relationship between shoulders and hips, the student should not be switching stances as often if trying to keep same shoulder "bladed" towards opponent.

You can help reinforce an orthodox stance by having the sparring partner only throw right hooks and right cross punches.