Stuck in upper body training =(

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by 6footgeek, Jan 27, 2011.

1. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

ok i searched for an hour but i didn't exactly et the answer i needed. and i'm not really sure whether to put this in the body weight training or the weight training forum. so here it goes.

6 months in my kyokushin training and i've encountered a problem. See when i started kyokushin i couldnt do a single bleeding pushup. no joke. i was a geek with no arms. =P now i can last quite a bit into the routine. the routine i mention consists of warm up, then 10 2 step push ups, then half the basic punches, then 20 1 step pushups, then blocks, then 20 1 step push ups, finally chops and 20 1 step push ups. if the teacher wants to focus on upper body training for the day we do punching drills, bag work and condtioning drills all with push ups in between.

Now my problem is that i can last around 30 push ups one day but then have difficulty lasting 15 the next. but thats ok cuz i know my muscles are still a bit sore.... my issue is that i cant go up 30! i cant last the entire routine, and its starting to miff me that i cant keep up with my fellow white belts.

So i want to ask where i'm going wrong? push up technique? am i just being a wimp and not pushing myself harder? any advice on some exercises or something that'll help me get past this?

2. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Hi. The standard pushup works the chest, triceps, and shoulders (and also the core, back, and legs to a degree). By doing conditioning drills in class you will also be working these muscles, but perhaps not enough to allow you to progress. The thing about trying to improve one aspect of your training is that oftentimes, you need to improve another. For example, if i wanted to be able to bench press more weight, I would have to do additional work for my shoulders and triceps, as well as the chest, in order to build strength. One exercise will always work a muscle in the same way. By adding variety to your workouts, you should be able to become stronger.

By just working on push ups, eventually the end product is that you get good at push ups. the muscles need a new stimulus in order to grow, so repeating the same exercise over and over again will not allow for this.

there is a lot of stuff on here and various other sites about buidling strength, but you may find it beneficial to speak to your instructor or somebody in your dojo about helping with some strength training.

By the sounds of your physique (six foot and very slim), you may find it difficult to see any massive gains in strength, and in this case I would suggest consulting a personal trainer. However, I understand that this is not for everyone, and you may just want to focus on you karate rather than also investing a large amount of time in the gym. Saying that, a little bit of supplementary training can go a long way.

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

How often do you do that routine?

4. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

I do the routine thrice a week. three classes a week.

Hmmm. so you think i should invest in a couple of dumbells??? and work out my triceps and chest??

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Do you do any other training outside of that three day a week routine?

6. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

used to workout on the weekend with a friend. for the past 2 months Med college has become really hectic. so stopped.