Striking larger people

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kosh, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Kosh

Kosh New Member

A punch to the sternam (the centre of the ribcage - correct name?). I know that if someone did this to me, id go down like a bag of spanners. But i always wonder if it would be effective against someone bigger than myself. Logically its should be one of the best targets - it doesnt matter how big the person is or how fat they are, the sternam is always bone. The energy would be 'conducted' into their body.

But the question remains, i always visualise doing it to someone larger but cant deside if it would hurt them. Does anyone have any real knowledge of how effective it is.

There are a few other stikes we learn in HKD which i also wonder about:-

-The throat (obviously devestating)
    -The side of the kneck - you strike with you arm against the side of their kneck. Kind of like a swing. This hurts and i wouldnt be supprised if you could black someone out.
    -The sides of the ribs - with you palms or fists (very very fast and hard to see)

2. supervole

supervole New Member

You missed the groin, no matter how big or strong someone is a hit there is gonna hurt.
    Mev.

3. Kosh

Kosh New Member

Definately, but i think there is a mutual code of conduct. If you hit someone in the nuts...their mates will make it there mission to hit you in the nuts.

obviously there would be situations where a shot to the pills might be needed.

4. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

headbutts are the bain of tall people. Dropping your head is the classic defense, but its much harder against shorter people.

5. Kosh

Kosh New Member

yeah, true. But im not sure about who effective that would be. Ive been punched in the face lots of times and not fealt it, obviously a headbutt is different but in the confusion of a altercation it might just **** them off.

Plus you have to be close.

I was just wondering if hitting someone in the sternam will shut them down even if they are big / fat / ****ed off / agressive etc. If the are fat it might be more effective since they might have less cardio fitness.

6. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

i heard thes are a part of the butt thats very vulnerable when struck

7. Tika

Tika New Member

Maybe your tail bone, but Ive only heard of them being injured if you land real hard on your keister.

I ALWAYS fight larger opponents. I dont think opponents exist that are smaller than me. So all my techniques are against bigger people, but in an actual self defense situation, I think id try to give a nice kick to the knee. The kind where you chamber up high and come down, not a roundhouse type of kick. With the heal, as a stomp if youre directly in front of them, and a side kick with the blade of the foot if youre to the side of them.... Maybe I just like bustin knees :D

8. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

Definitely. I've made people caugh just by touching it.

Again, quite true, as I have gotten quite light headed just from doing this in practice (by a large idiot who kicked me in the nuts during practice on Monday an has no controll)

Very painfull.

You also might want to consider

-The spot near the back of the temple
    -Just under the armpit
    -The back of the neck
    -The solar plexus
    -The forehead, where it meets the nose.
    - The ribs, just below the chest.

and for some hard to get ones on larger people, but still effective if you do them right:

- The soft spot just above the groin
    -The point where the biceps meet the deltoids near the shoulder
    - The point on the forearm just below the elbow
    - The wrist, about 1.5 thumblengths from the little crevace where the hand meets the wrist (if you do this right it should work on about 95% of all people. On a few, it will have no effect whatsoever, though. It's really useful when grabbing someone)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2004
  9. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

I believe the original poster wanted our opinion if these "hot spots" would work on a larger opponent. Let me try to address the "sternum" spot here.

-Triple Warmer (Solar Plexus): Located 2 fingers below your sternum, this is generally the location you SHOULD be aiming for, instead of the sternum. In regards to stopping power...find a big, tall friend of yours, and ask him to do you a favor. Tell him to breath normally. While he inhales, take two fingers and poke him moderately in this spot. If you hit the spot, he'll flinch, and probably smack you.

The Triple Warmer is a devastating location to strike for a number of reasons. According to western medicine, there is a small piece of bone located here that has a breaking point of 4-5 pounds. Once broken off, this piece of bone often travels directly to the lungs or the heart itself, causing major internal trauma. In addition, trauma to this area interferes with the diaphragm's "inhalation" process, which can result in an annoying "Loss of Wind" or a more devastating "Touchless Suffocation". Finally, because there are no bones/ribs directly below this surface, the interstertial tissue and fascia has no means to absorb the impact of the blow. Because of this lack of cushioning, the tissue generally tears, resulting in internal bleeding and connective tissue degeneration.

According to chinese medicine, the Triple Warmer is a nexus point for several of the body's meridian points. As such, it contains a large amount of a person's operating, or "Chi", energy. A strike to a different location generally sends concussive reverberations along that individual meridian, damaging only one organ/limb. However, since the energy of 3 or more organs interlocks within the Triple Warmer, causing trauma to this location can severely disrupt the inner workings of the body. Ever been hit in this area and felt out of breath, nauseous, diarhetic (need to defecate), and light headed?

-I hope all that jibberish made some sort of sense as to the worthiness of the Triple Warmer in regards to combat. While it can be a devastating location to strike, finding the exact location during combat is difficult.

May you achieve
    Satori

10. Omicron

Omicron is around.

My sensei always talks about how many of the best places to strike lie down the center line of the body. The nose, sternum, solar plexus, groin, etc., are all right down the middle.
    I'd expect that many of these places would be just as good against larger opponents as small ones, although I guess that heavier people might have the added benefit of a bit of extra padding provided by fat. Targets like the throat, knees, groin, or any place on the face or head would definitely still be just as good, but areas that tend to be covered by more fat might be a bit less effective.

11. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

The 20 stone destroyer consists of a good hard shin kick to the thigh then a straight punch to the windpipe then a hook to the side of the head, practice this one at home........devastating !

I must say though ONLY punch to the windpipe in a self defence situation where you are scared for your safety, DON'T train it in the gym.

12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Yes. There is little fat and no muscle there. Being that humans are humans, size doesn't matter for that there target. He'll go down if your aim is good. I've been hit there in a sparring match. Oh yeah, I fell.

Hope your aim is good.

13. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

It hurts, but it is no fight stopper. If you do break that little bone on the bottom of the sternum (xyphoid process) that will probably be more than enough pain to stop the fight. It won't "travel directly to the lungs or the heart" but it can cause severe internal bleeding.

14. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I've been struck in the sternam a few hard times just last week when i was grappling with someone in my guard. Resulting in pain when breathing, and a weird popping noise when i stretched, and having to miss a lesson of kickboxing and jujitsu just to be safe and let it rest. When i received the strikes they didn't stop me (and im a complete winp :D ), i couldn't feel it until a few mins later when i was more relaxed.

But naturally every body is different.

15. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

the temple and th eknees are good targets :)

16. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

The side of the chin / jaw is another good target :)

17. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

Outside of the thighs are good for tall lanky people. For muscle men, they tend to have weak knees, and either a good roundhouse or side kick should give them second thoughts.

18. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

if you kick the outside of hte thighs, use the shins as they are hard rather than using the foot. this is a very easily accessible target and can take your opponent out as there are nerve clusters in the thigh wich is very painful when hit. :)

19. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

I agree, but it depends on your style. I've cross trained in Muay Thai, so using my shins is almost nature for me. However, when wearing shoes, any roundhouse will suffice, even if not using the shins.

20. kempo-kid

kempo-kid Warning Dangerous

Blimey that is on the conception line, the triple warmer lines runs up the back of the arm to yer head.

KK :woo: