Stretching...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Macca, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Macca

Macca Valued Member

Hello all, how are you doing?

Just a question really i'd thought to answer you fitness experts out there lol.

The question is about stretching, basically i am just getting back into my martial arts and my flexibility aint what it used to be lol. So i thought to myself: 'right wana get straight back into it' so i am now going to try to be as decidated as i can be and stretch twice a day for at least 15 minutes, when i get up and before i sleep. I will leave one day free though, probs sunday as i understand rest is important.

I really want to do the side and front slits, so i think by stretching 6 days a week for 15 minutes, twice a day will help me reach the goal of doing the splits sooner then just doing casual stretching when im doing my MA.

Basically what i want to ask you lot is:

1. Do you think by stretching 6 days a week, 15 mins, twice a day will help me reach the goal of the front and side splits quicker then just doing it like 3 days a week. Is it too much stretching? should i allow more rest days in between?

2. How long does it take to do these splits for the average person? How long do you reckon it will take me by doing it my way?

3. I am considering investing into this: http://www.ukmao.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=VFX is it worthit for the money?

4. What type of stretches which you have found benefital could help me with mine?

Thank you for your time.
    Macca :)

2. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

The splits is a lot about correct hip alignment too. Though these are good demonstrations of strength, are not entirely necessary for a martial art, where dynamic flexibility is important.

I do dynamic stretches in the morning, of the torso and legs.

Leg raises front, back and side, till I reach maximum stretch, I then do Static Active Stretches of the legs. Hold the legs forward till fail and sideways and back.

When I get to the gym or to class I warm up, then do the dynamic stretches. At the end of the workout I do Isometric Stretches of the legs (only do these 4 days per week)

Then at night, I do dynamic stretches and then some relaxed stretching before bed.

If you stretch right, it's not uncommon to see a dramatic increase in flexibility in 8 to 10 weeks. After this period of proper stretching, to gain more the connective tissue must be stretched, and this is done over a period of many many years with minimal gain, yet still weakens the joints.

Don't buy the gimicks or the gadgets like this, save the money and buy this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stretching-...f=pd_ka_1/026-0061342-1972434?ie=UTF8&s=books

Knowing how to stretch properly and effectively is much better than using machines.

This is a book I recommend to EVERYBODY with questions regarding stretching.

3. Martial_Julez

Martial_Julez Valued Member

Looks fine to me. Just make sure, like the above poster said, that you have your hip alignment correct. In side splits hips should be square, front splits knees facing upwards etc.

If you want some more stetching techniques, this is a good site. I know it's dance but it's still stretching.

4. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

I'll second that. I've got that book and while I haven't been able to use it yet (recovering from something quite serious) I've read it cover-to-cover a few times and the material in there is quality. I'm going to have to wait a while to see any results myself, but it's well worth a read.