strengths of silat?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Blanch, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Blanch

Blanch Banned Banned

A friend of mine does silat locally,I train in jujitsu with him and he sometimes does muay thai with me as well.

anyway he often advises I give silat a go,which I intend to when I'm a bit fitter (coming off a quite long term injury).

he's foreign and has trouble putting into words why silat is good just 'it has lot disgusting techniques, you'll like'

Obviously I'll find out when I finally get there.

How would you describe it,and what are its strengths and weaknesses?

2. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'Blanch',

Will depend on the instructor and the actual style of Silat - Silat is a generic term like 'karate' or 'kung fu' or .... So, it could be good, bad or whatever...

But I have seen awesome Silat (and awesome Silat players) so - YES - give it a go when you feel you are ready...

3. Blanch

Blanch Banned Banned

So theres no general strengths or style?

Like the strengths of boxing for example for me would be the lateral movement,variety of punches and ability to move in and out of range quickly.

4. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Like Robert said, it depends on style and instructor - some are hard, some are soft, some are a blend; some are weapon only, others are empty hand only, some are a blend; some are primarily standing, others emphasise being very low to the ground... And so on.

The best thing to do would be to go along to a session and see if you like it :)

5. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Silat is a very generic term as stated that refers to a group of martial arts that originated in what is now Indonesia and Malaysia. It really depends on what your friend does. I study one from Java. It has a flowing nature in both empty hand and lots & lots of weapons.

It will be way different than what you have done. Check it out. Also, work at flexibility.

6. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

What might be very specific for good silat is its focus on footwork.

7. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

What 'taoizt' said and... hurting/breaking/killing VERY quickly and competently.

Having said that, there is (of course) Silat that is more popularist - like Karate - where kids can play it safely...

8. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Like the guys have already said, depends on the teacher and style.

It's like when people tell me they do Jiu Jistsu, I have to ask whether it's Japanese or Brazilian, big difference. (Unless they say they do Zoo Zitszoo, then I know exactly what they are talking about! ;) ).

Madjapahit silat, Pencak silat, Mande Muda, Harimau, etc. All different but with similarities. For example, in a Madjapahit class I'd expect a lot of standing boxing type work, with locks, throws, and some ground kicking. Mande Muda or Harimau, I'd expect a lot of low postural work, groundwork and some kick ass strength training (try doing Harimau and NOT develop strength and flexibility!).

9. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Thats not only Silat....so not so specific to Silat

10. Blanch

Blanch Banned Banned

Thanks for all the replies, I looked online and lumpat harimau minangkabau silat is what they call it.

11. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Someone here a long time ago said that you don't choose Silat, Silat chooses you....

You should investigate this and see how it works out for you. From what I know of what you reference, it will be worth your while.

12. Rogoh Sukmah

Rogoh Sukmah Valued Member

Hello Blanch, my British acquaintance does play this style and he is quite satisfied doing so. The name can be translated as: 'jumping tiger according to the 'minang kabau people'. The Original Mingang Kabau is one of the oldest styles in Indonesia and was invented by (who else) the Minang Kabau from Sumatra. Originally it is a low / medium height style with jumps, rolls, clawing and throws and the manners of the tiger can be easily recognised. There is more integrated, like certain other animals ans weapon tactics.

Why not go and have a look / feel?

Good luck!

13. Blanch

Blanch Banned Banned

I'm more the type to just get stuck in and see how it goes.
    Though I will call the bloke who runs it and explain the injury and see how big a problem it will be.

Thanks for the info

14. Rogoh Sukmah

Rogoh Sukmah Valued Member

If he is a good teacher he will be able to compensate certain movements in line with your injury...

Welcome!

15. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

I'd always say that Silat (the systems so far encountered by me) is far more strongly guided by its key core principles and concepts than other arts. Possibly with the exception of the daoist arts of china.

I say this as someone who's been round the metaphorical block quite a few times.

I always feel that that is Silat's main strength.

It's weaknesses are that most Silat players are deluded in their abilities. And are more akin to the 'dungeons and dragons' crowd than actual 'fighting' ability. Oh and the fact that most Silat students can outbitch a fishwife...

IF you can find a really good teacher. Who understands how to translate those key core principles into methods and action - You found a star.

The training methods tend to be slow ('Iz Traditional'!) but the upshot is worth it. If you're prepapred to put the time in.

Good Luck

16. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

Good post Sokklab, you are right.