Strengthening the quads

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bozza Bostik, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I have been having a whole bunch of problems with my IT band recently. It's pretty sore and feels like I've just left a Muay Thai class.

I was in the physio yesterday and she also mentioned that my quads are considerably weaker than my hamstrings and suggested I strengthen and balance them out.

So any recommendations? I have very light dbs and kbs in the house...and my fantastic body too.

I can scan around the interweb myself, but I have faith in our S&C experts! :)

2. Da Lurker

Da Lurker Valued Member

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Hindu squats.

4. Bozza Bostik

Ah - thanks.

I thought back squats were kinda 50/50.

Yeah, the physio recommend I go and get some massage. There's a whole bunch of them in a street near me, but I think I have to go to a sports specific one! :)

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

you can front squat the kbs and dbs, just build up lot of reps an you should be good. also, you are among a very unusual minority in having quads weaker than your hammies :p

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

also, lunges

7. Bozza Bostik

My mother says I'm special.

Dunno, just what the physio said. :dunno: I'm always a bit wary of physios, i'm yet to find a good one outside of youtube.

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Also yeah- lucky you, weak quads development is rare!

10. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

the ultimate is front squats, but it appears that is out of the question.

front rack KB squats and hindu squats would be my go to

11. righty

righty Valued Member

I'd still say the main thing is squats.

Front squats will focus on the glutes more but I'd still look at back squats. Yes they have a more balance used of quads/hammies but remember that you are always going to be working you weakest link more, which in your case is your quads. So go for it.

12. Bozza Bostik

Thanks fellas.

I am not sure if the quad is weak as such or there's just too great an imbalance between quad and ham. My brain doesn't work too well and tends to collapse then implode with too much info.

What's a single leg lockouts with bands? Nothing comes up in google that seems to fit.

Foam rolling the IT band. Yeah, I read the article some time ago. Everyone seems to have a different opinion about it.

13. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

People forget the easy one because it's 'too girly'.

Step ups, loaded to unloaded. Or farmer carries up a flight of stairs.

I have quite a few of my guys doing alternate leg step up with 1/4BW in each hand.

14. seiken steve

I would argue that step ups can be VERY hammy dominant, if you look at the movement pattern its basically hip extension which is why it is loved so much by sprinters. lower steps would be more quad dominant but only a little.

Boris, i'm some what surprised by the diagnosis, if the physio had said strong hammy weak glute that'd have been more typical. When you get better you are actually in a great position to build some awesome baseline strength. lucky bugger.

15. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

With the equipment you got...

Jefferson Squats
    (Barbell) Dumbbell - Kettlebell Hack Squats
    "Trap-Bar Style" 'Deadlifts'

Anything where the weight is:

- Lower than your centre
    - Essentially behind you or at your sides
    - You go up and down without much of a torso 'bend'

Will tap your quads like a typewriter.

Also if you bored play around with Zercher Squats, Goblet Squats and A Curl Squat (Arms at 45 degrees). Anything where you get a frontal load below your shoulders will again increase your quadanism.

Also Walking Lunges (Allow your Trailing Knee to 'Float' Just off the ground, DO NOT allow it to touch the floor) will make you cry uncle quickstyle.

Good Luck.

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

And leg extensions. :D

17. Bozza Bostik

:p

Are they as bad as people say? For y'knees an'all?

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Oh no. They're actually one of the best exercises you can get.

:D

19. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Bodybuilders go crazy for them because you can pre-exhaust or post-exhaust your quads in isolation.

They can do your knees in. Particularly IF you do too many of them. And-or do them too often.

IF in doubt - Stay away.

Good Luck

20. seiken steve

I'm fine with them but I've never had knee troubles. They tear some peoples knees to bits though.