Strengthening Legs...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by div2604, Oct 12, 2002.

1. div2604

div2604 New Member

Hi, i recently started TKD and I was wondering if anyone has tips for strengthing up my left leg which is pretty pathetic comapared to my right. I don't have access to gym facilities, i usually just do home workouts. Anyone know any good things to try?

2. waya

waya Valued Member

Do calf lifts to strengthen them a bit, stand flat and lift onto your toes.... also, if you can get some weight on your legs, do front and back curls to put some extra strength in your thighs. For TKD kicking I'd work on flexibility alot... The biggest thing is repetition. Kick alot with your left leg on your own, that's what will make it improve the most is simply doing the kicks until your leg gets used to performing.

Rob

3. darlph

darlph New Member

I'd like to add to Waya, on the calf lifts, stand on an edge and let your heel drop slowly and then raise up to work the range and to stretch your ham string. You can also do slow reps of your kicks with weighted ankle but not at speed. You will injure your self. Add some stretching for heighth. I like to put my foot on a table and bend my supporting leg in a kicking position. Slow and easy after you warm up is the best time to stretch.
    My other option is walking or bicycling.

4. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

don't worry too much div...i'll ask u to keep practicing... flexibility will not come over nite so u do repitions of front rising, side rising and circular kicks for ur stretching and make sure the quality is good... qauntity matter but not that much..
    -TkdWarrior-

5. div2604

div2604 New Member

Thanks for all your help guys!:D

6. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

your welcome... :D
    it's cool this forum has soooooooooo many TKD warriors ....
    ah i m so happy otherwise mostly i m kickin KF guys head off ...lol j/k...

-TkdWarrior-

7. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

oh damn i read strengthing as stretching ... oops.. sorry...
    anyways but u keep those streching excercise...
    u start doing hindu squats n one legged squats too...
    rise ur leg in front of u so that ur leg is parallel to ground and hold it there...if u found this too easy give it more height ...
    -TkdWarrior-

8. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Squats
    Skip Squats
    Squat & Kick
    Jump Rope
    Run , Jog

9. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

I just kick the heavy bag a lot. During sparring or class training, we are not allowed to kick our partner hard. So I go early (benifit of day class :D ) and do a bag workout. It's been a major benifit in my leg strength. It worked for me :D