Strength training programs pros and cons

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bozza Bostik, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know what everyone is going on about with these long behind posts. Deadlift and squat good sir. Deadlift twice a week, squat once, then squat twice a week and deadlift once the next. Drink milk, do a ton of reps, and you can't go wrong.

You can do those pansy pants upper body lifts some other time. Just supplement break periods between deadlifts and squats with pull ups and pushups, because that's what upper body work is . . . a break! :p

*** The word pansy in the context I mean to use it involves this definition: "a violet, Viola tricolor hortensis, cultivated in many varieties, having richly and variously colored flowers." from dictionary.com. It is in no way used to imply or insult homosexuality. I use it because there is no room for flowers in the weight room, both because you don't want it smelling good in there and there's only room for hate and flowers don't exactly put you in a hateful mood, especially pants with flower print.***

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

RaKzaroK: I do bodyweight anyways. Kinda looking to weights as you can get a lot stronger. And as a bit of a change.

Not interested in size, shape, fat loss (etc etc) in anyway, pure strength as part of "fitness" and to improve running/MA. Unlike a lot of runners I really believe in the benefits that lifting can bring to running. Of course, it will make me slow though ;)

Icefield: Thought you were like a super strong pro-olympic-lifter-strong-man-Geoff Capes-type?

I know, I know. But I have some running goals I want to get out the way first. And quite honestly I am seriously broke at the moment. Spending numerous hundred a month in the private quack shacks. Can't afford the money for weights or gym membership.

Ero: Did you meditate today? I think you should. :p

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I think I should get a bouquet of pansies to assist me, and drown out the stench going on in the kitchen I've now neglected for a week. :p

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

The rep max is the 4/5 rm. Reps are 4, sets 4 or 5. Somewhere between 16 and 25 reps in the session seems to be where the magic number lies.

5. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

Personally, I haven't taken a single good advice from people in my gym.
    Maybe in your gym where are many people who compete, there are guys you can expect a good advice. In the commercial gyms, at least in my part of the world, people can't even imagine lifting the weights some guys in MAP (yourself included:p) lift for reps..

6. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

To hit that numbers though, someone must be really serious with dieting and sleeping at least 8 hours a day.
    Good form and some knowledgeable guys to spot you is also very important IMO.
    More or less you have to see yourself as an athlete while doing these kind of programs if you want to see these kind of results and that isn't easy..

7. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I REALLY don't like west side for skinny individuals. Over focus on bench and not all that much balance in my opinion.

Very hard to go wrong with starting strength, Texas method, or the 531 full body template.

The main thing is to beleive in it and be consistent.

8. seiken steve

Also if you need any spreadsheets give a shout, I've made a fair few for a lot of programs out there.

9. Bozza Bostik

One thing I don't get is about diet.

If you want to gain bulk, you eat more. But what about pure strength with no interest in weight gain or loss? I guess you'd have to eat more to help with recovery, but do you have to eat like 300 cows a day and all that?

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Thanks free form!

Steve - 531 for someone who hasn't lifted before it got max numbers? Skinny buggers can be... Disjointed at best. Especially for a beginner trying to learn movements. But it has an in season template for people training in various other sports like running or MA that allows for sessions of their own sport.

Boris - you have to accept that some size and shape is a consequence g lifting and eating properly.

11. Mangosteen

Eat however you feel. You'll want to eat more cos you're burning more calories so do.
    But a slightly increased protein intake is recommended for recovery.

So if you normally eat 299 cows then, yes. 300 cows is recommended..

12. Bozza Bostik

I refuse to accept anything.

Seriously, yeah, I know. It's just not the aim, but it will happen on it's own. It's not an issue either which way.

I'm just curious to know about the dietary aspects. Do you have to follow that 1 thingy of protien for every pound of bodyweight or what ever it is?

13. Bozza Bostik

Ok, thanks!

14. Mangosteen

I do roughly. I eat 500g of meat, 6 eggs and two protein shakes a day with veggies, fruits and carbs on top.

15. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

protein is the main raw material used to build and repair stuff in your body, so you should be eating plenty even if you're not lifting. if you are lifting, just eat a bit more

16. seiken steve

531 full body template works for beginners lots of reps of squatting to build some technique and strength. Starts light and builds up with weekly increases, I prefere something with lower reps but that's not a huge issue.

Boris eat a bunch of protien, if your getting fat eat less carbs, if you are getting skinny and/or always sore eat more carbs.

17. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

It is for the most part. :) a very basic one.

18. Martial novice

Martial novice Valued Member

Boris,

If you want to see what Rippetoe's Starting Strength programme looked like for one month, my log from a couple of years ago is on MAP:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107418

I found it good for learning the basic movements of compound lifts, and only needing to remember about 5 exercises - you do the set you didn't do last time.

After 1 month my work made me move away, so the log stops, though I was also starting to get some slight creaks in my knees and long suffering motivation issues kicked in again.

Of course one set of figures tells you absolutely nothing statistically, but you may want to read it.

On diet the only 2 changes I really made were eating a bit more food generally, trying to swap some junk food for healthier proteins, and having something fairly quickly after the gym when the muscles need it most.

19. righty

righty Valued Member

I would really recommend avoiding this. Even if you did use the die to choose an excercise, then you still have to choose a weight, which for some relatively inexperienced is not a good idea. It will be very hard for you to choose a weight that is challenging enough to improve you but also achievable. It also does not offer an easily measureable progression.

Just go and do starting strength to get both the technique of each lift down and gain a base of strength. Follow the program and don't mess with it.

Regarding diet no one is going to be able to tell you what to eat. Well actually there are people that can, they are called dietitions and nutritionists, and they charge money for that sort of thing. If you post up what you are currently eating people can use that as a base to offer suggestions but if you are really interested in seeing how your food intake influences training then you need to start logging all that you eat.

But the most important thing is to actually start training.

20. Bozza Bostik

I'll just roll dice for the weights as well. Saves a lot of messing about.

I must remember to use smilies in the future.

No, I won't be rolling dice. TBH, weights confuse the heck out of me, so I'll choose a program and stick to it.

I forgot that my mate does the Westside thing. So I'll probably go to his for tips and pointers with the lifts.