strength of baton wood?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by mewtwo55555, Jul 16, 2014.

1. mewtwo55555

mewtwo55555 Valued Member

So I went to a local hardware store and bought a 1 inch diameter dowel cut it down to 2 feet and wrapped it in electrical tape. then I wrapped one side in electrical tape to make a handle. I am just useing this for practice with sword forms and stick forms. But was wondering would this be strong enough to use in a real fight? I am not sure the type of wood that the dowel is made of.

Thanks

2. Janno

Janno Valued Member

Firstly, without knowing the material a weapon is made of, it makes it impossible to tell exactly how durable/reliable it is. In addition, the weight of the weapon plays a significant role in the impact damage it causes when swung at a target. Even with a dense material, baton-type weapons have a limited use when swung in confined spaces, as the only anatomical targets where you are guaranteed an immediate effect are strikes to the hands or head, and it takes very little time for an opponent to charge you down and get to extreme close-range (you'll get one or two licks in if you're lucky, and the stress will likely reduce your accuracy).

That said, the baton can be used in a two-handed format for barring, hooking, and thrusting at close quarters. This method is less reliant on having a dense material, due to the forces that are applied (on contact) in relation to the weapon structure. Given the limited information you have supplied, this is the method I would most favour, and the one most likely in a defensive scenario set inside your house. Do remember though that if your ability to use the weapon becomes compromised, you should not hesitate in abandoning it and transitioning to a viable contingency (ie. your fists).

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Dowel from a hardware store is likely pine or spruce, too soft for any kind of contact work.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Sure. You could use them in a real fight. Because, in all likelihood, in that moment, you wouldn't be concerned about the fate of the dowel rod. That said, if you're using them to do stick forms, I don't like your chances in a fight anyway. You need drills and sparring. For that, the dowel rods won't be much use. If you're going to take your weapon work seriously, you need to take your tools seriously as well. Invest in a good set of sticks. Rattan is the training choice for all eskrimadors, for instance.

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

We have one length of stick for a stick form, and another shorter one we use for stick techniques. My school sellls a waxwood stick for the longer one. I had a dowel from a hardware store for the shorter one. As I got more experienced, I found it was way too light. I bought another waxwood stick and had it sized down.

It makes a difference. I would suggest getting a properly weighted stick.

I agree with Ap. For sword forms, buy a sword. A stick is a poor substitute. For the stick, doesn't your school recommend a type of wood? You should use what your school suggests.

Escima uses rattan. My style of Kung Fu favors white waxwood.

You can buy these weapons from online stores. Invest in the proper weapon.

BTW, here in Califorinia, wrapping a stick with tape turns it into a weapon from a legal standpoint. My Sifu warned us that that simple wrapping changes how the stick is looked at by police. You should check into your local laws if you haven't already.

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Cudgels come in all shapes, sizes, and materials.

There isn't a real problem (from fighting-defense) working out with something that will not get the same feel as something else

Because one would not have the exact same weapon/tool with them in all situations

That all said, I prefer heavier wood (even use a pipe section) because it works out the muscle/groups

7. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Pool balls in a sock.

"cause I'm the jeffing daddy here"

And if you haven't seen Scum...it is worthy of a viewing.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I have a range of sticks in various materials - generally I use rattan because it lasts and takes a beating. Recently I have found hickory to be a phenomenally good material for kali

9. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

*BOLD* So do people on "the business end" of it