strength and flexibility

Discussion in 'Judo' started by livingmojo, Mar 21, 2012.

1. livingmojo

livingmojo Valued Member

I am currently a month and a half into judo and enjoying it very much. I am starting to notice some major areas I need to work on(aside from judo itself). I am 6ft8in tall and weigh about 240lbs. My big issues are flexibility for being able to drop my center of gravity below my almost always shorter(but sometimes heavier) opponents. Can anyone recommend daily morning/nightly stretches for flexibility and body weight exercises to help with leg strength? (core strength might be a better focus along with legs) Really anything I can supplement my weekly classes with which i can do with my body weight at home I would really appreciate. Thank you for your time and help!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2012
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You should find all you need to know here

3. livingmojo

livingmojo Valued Member

thank you simon for the link. appreciate it.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

The Members Workout Thread has some greatbodyweight exercies for you to choose from.

Flexibility goes hand in hand with flexibility. The stronger you are the better you should be able to stretch.

Body weight squats are as good a place as any to start. Here is a video I post quite a lot here on MAP, but only because I think it is a really good exercise.

I also like this done really slowly, so rather than almost falling into the squat, try to drop down really slowly, keeping control over the muscles.
    Although I don't demonstrate it in this video I also like to drop down on just one leg, rather than replace the kicking leg then dropping. This takes more control and really help with strength.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgF2DLdtK2I&lr=1&feature=mhee"]Dynamic Hamstring Stretch.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Yoga may actually be an excellent supplement to your training also.

6. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

During partner workout, if you can grab your opponent's "center belt" and use shoulder throw (bowing throw) to throw him over your head, it will force you to drop low.

Daily low stance walking will be helpful.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  7. livingmojo

livingmojo Valued Member

and that just involves staying low and level walking in a straight line?

8. livingmojo

livingmojo Valued Member

Hey SLIPTHEJAB, would you suggest your black and white bodyweight circuit video(found in the MAP workout thread) for novice level training?

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Let me take a look at it... it's been a while since I shot that. If I recall it can be easily modified for a starting regimen... meaning... I'd take out some of the more dynamic movements and make them less explosive... so that when you start you build good form and your joints and muscles have time to experience the proper movement patterns and stresses. Then once you are accustomed to that you can then progress each drill forward by adding one of several items... like an unstable surface, a plyometric movement or resistance above and beyond bodyweight.

Let me take a look and I'll come back and post.

10. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

Can someone link me to that black and white bodyweight circuit video?

11. livingmojo

livingmojo Valued Member

Thank you slip, PK if you read up above Simon S posted a link to the members workout thread and I found the video in there,