street

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by cbraves85, Aug 4, 2003.

1. cbraves85

cbraves85 Valued Member

I was thinking of joining a tae kwon do/ kickboxing school in my area. I was wondering if this would be effective in sel defence/ street fighting or just competition?

2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Depends on what they are doing and what you mean by "effective"

3. Hwoarang

Hwoarang New Member

Look, the best defense is to go away....never go to a martial art class if you want to kick some a**** it will not help.

4. mma_ryan

mma_ryan New Member

hi all i am pretty much new to this website and yehh
    i absolutly agree with the above statement
    well i am a student of kick boxing and one thing tht i ve learn is u learn the most from actuall sparring and i think tht tae kwon do/ kickboxing will help u on the street but it also will depend on how u are being trained
    and another this is i recoment any type of martial art because it also helps alot with your confidence
    Ryan

5. alcapone

alcapone New Member

cbraves85 - I currently practice TaeKwonDo and was practicing Kickboxing a few months ago. I would recommend both for self defence, but, to be honest, when it comes to defending yourself on the street, a beginner kickboxer would be more "effective" than a beginner TKD practitioner (in my opinion).

At the end of the day, if you're drunk, walking out of a pub and someone starts on you, the last thing you should do is try a flashy reverse roundhouse kick or a hook kick, the chances are you'll land on your ass, then you'll be in serious sh*t! U will get your head stamped on!!!

I believe kickboxing is brilliant for self defence, or "street fighting". TKD is also excellent, but once you have reached a certain level in your training. I say this only because of the lack of emphasis on punching at the lower grades.

Kickboxing for a quick solution. TKD if you want to be dedicated. If you stick at it, TKD is a formidable MA to be trained in.

Hope this helps

AL

6. Scott194

Scott194 New Member

look into Krav Maga

7. Snakescales

Snakescales New Member

hmm not for street fighting

I agree with some of the guys above, most martial arts are not really suited for people, especially beginners to engage in street fights. Kickboxing is more of a sport and the other guys aren't going to follow the usual rules, they'll grab your leg if you kick or they'll break a cue over your head, or pull a weapon you're not really trained for that. TKD is really meant for knocking people off of horseback so more than anything being really aware of your surroundings and being well conditioned and in great shape will contribute more to a street fight than anything. If you can get out of it without a fight of course that's the best option. And if the person in question happens to be a good enough martial artist to handle it, he won't get himself into that situation in the first place.

-Andres

8. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Training in martial arts gives confidence - which is good & will help you on the street, not to be a victim.

Training for competition will also help as you learn to face a aggresive opponant.

But if you want to be able to win in a street fight you have to train in street fighting - tha art of winning at all costs. This will mean doing things that a competition fighter cannot & perhaps does not train for. You have to learn that although it's not ok to bite the other guys face off(last resort), you are willing to do it if the situation dictates.

9. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

kickboxing should be great! It lets you use techniques at full power. True he may not deal with weapons or eye gouging..... but he is training. His punches kicks will come naturally and he will posses good evasive movement.

To trash kickboxing for street is ludicrous.
    Instead take the kickboxing and practice the "vicious" stuff on the side.

People need to incorporate the MMA perspective of full contact training with rules and the no rules "reality" fighting of TMA.

10. Shadow_Blade

Shadow_Blade New Member

I think it would depend on your instructor, how you use the methods and whether it is a purely sport type of kickboxing. In sport, you usually fight with rules, however there are no rules on the street. Nevertheless, the skills you learn in the ring such as strikes, power, reflexes, stamina can all help you in the street. But if someone aims a knife at you, or sneak attacks you, none of those skills can really help you unless you feel maybe you are good enough to perhaps kick him before gets a chance to do something. The kickboxing I take is more of a mixed martial arts system and geared more towards self-defense. It teaches you things like locks and takedowns and even how to defend against a knife attack. However, if it came down to a good ol' one on one street fight, a kickboxer is a very dangerous foe to mess with. A good idea would be to take kickboxing for a while to build the power and reflexes and then maybe supplement it with another art such as judo or jujitsu to learn the more practical self-defense aspects. In short, any martial arts will help you with self-defense it just all depends on how you apply it. Even with sport kickboxing, which is more offensive. But sometimes, the best defense is offense!

11. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

That’s ridiculous.

12. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

im all with alcapone
    in kickboxing they push you hard for strethcing/conditioning and fitness they teach a limited amount of techniques more advanced kickboxers use the same simple techniques but with better positioning and timing
    tkd teaches you a lot more techniques and is to be treated more as an interest for the style itself
    accepted that a lot is dependant on the individual most comparisons friends and i have done prove the kickboxer to be the more effective fighter after one years training

13. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

I don't understand how people can say that martial arts or kickboxing are not good for the street. Most of these arts were designed for warefare. ALso that is one of the best reasons you can take up a martial art otherwise its just a dance. I am not trying to encourage anyone to pick streetfights but

Both of your options are great but for me KB is better for the street.

I recently got into an encounter that could not have been avoided, (short of me leaving my phone car and wallet for them to steal) I put up my guard and took the fight back to the 2 lads. I blocked against a few of there punches and only had to throw 2 kicks to scare them off. If it wasnt for my MT then I would have froze and took a beating.

To me, martial arts is about learning to fight but obviously not everyone does them for the same reasons.

14. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

Depends what you want from from your training. I think MA experience will definately help you, but to what extent depends on the person. The main thing in these "street" situations is mindset anyway, fear plays the main factor.

15. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

As Assasin mentioned the main problem in street situations is fear and adrenalin. Technically brilliant martial artists have been known to throw big "haymaker" punches in fights purely because of this.

If you want to learn self defense then you must find a club that deals with adrenaline training or one that tries to simulate adrenalin as much as possible. Most martial arts do not involve any sort of training that involves the sudden rush of adrenalin resulting in F or F. How often in your class do you encounter someone snarling in your face shouting obscenities that would make Ice-T blush, holding a broken bottle, with about 30 people watching you outside the 5 star kebab Shop?

Not very often.. Obviously we can't all train this way but you need to try and recreate these scenarios as realisticly as possible, because that's what it's like. You will never completely be able to control your adrenalin but you must learn not to freeze and still be able to think clearly, if you have time...

That aside go for a club that mixes things up with combined ranges and styles, you have to be adaptable. Quick simple techniques that are easily remembered are best, not long set pieces where you go through about 4 or 5 different locks and techniques because usually they are too long to remember.

I went to one ju-jutsu club that offered self defence and when i was practising a technique on the syllabus the instructor came over to go through it with me... Anyway halfway through he says:

"Well actually if i was in the street then i wouldn't do this technique, I'd just kick him in the T-bags and gouge him"

So what was the f*^*ing point of learning it then i thought!

Use your own judgement and think to yourself, would this really work?

In the end though i still prefer Geoff Thompsons theory of pre-emptive strikes because from what I have seen 9/10 the person who get's the first blow in usually wins...

16. Chris J.

Chris J. Valued Member

Hi,
    It would probably not be as pertainent as some older arts would be. Depends on how much outside influence has been put in the style, etc. Better to go back to the source though.

If nothing older is available then go for it. You might research older styles and histories first before spending money on something like that.

Older systems use training that might sometimes not be obviously applicable at first. Be careful to find an instructor who has learned past this and knows the older meanings for the movements. Unfortunately, this may be hard to find. If an instructor is ****ing in the wind, that they can best only teach you to do the same thing. ;)

-Chris J.

17. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

i do korean kickboxing but it is a joint class with taekwondoe, we all train and fight together, if u can get a club like this it is good because it is more like muy tai with weapons than nething else and is very useful for the streets.you also get to use any weapon you like but usually we use nunchakas, carbon rod staffs, stick boxing type sticks and sai daggers.
    i have tried lots of martial arts and i would say kickboxing/muy tai is by far the most practicalm, although i havent tried wresteling, that looks quite practical too.

18. Hapkido

Hapkido New Member

pardon my french but what the hell are you thinking? if u cant defend yourself adequately by your first belt promotion leave your school. im at a loss of words for this complete stupidity. of course martial arts help you in self defense, put me up against anybody whos never had any fighting training of some sort and ill kick their ass unless their 4x my size. sounds like youve been going to the wrong schools bud

19. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

If we're talking street defence, i'd suggest Kickboxing over Tae Kwon Do, simply because of the focus on the boxing and hand techniques.

20. booj

booj New Member