Street Boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by GoldenTiger, Jan 2, 2006.

1. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

Korea and China. lol.
    But I still get your point. So don't take that the wrong way. :D
    True. I think he also did bits of boxing and used boxing as a reference also because as opposed to some martial arts. Boxing has more predominantley focused on effeciency, rather than tradition.

2. addiwei

addiwei New Member

regarding that comment about using no gloves to hit a bag...I have an interesting personal story to share on that.. When I first began martial arts training, I had developed a strong wrist to hitting the bag full-strength without any protection! (granted, I was ALOT younger).. I stopped practicing heavy bag during a period I had moved over to "other" martial arts, wushu, taichi, etc. Now, last year, I came to start boxing, and I trained with wraps and gloves, and lo' and hold! I injured my right wrist (probably too cold outside and I was punching way too hard)...now I have to be super careful when power punching with my right, especially hooks.

but the point of this is...maybe if you condition yourself very well, it's not necessarily a bad idea to train without protection. In a real fight, you're going to execute 200+ lbs punches into your wrist and forearm... i don't know..just my .02

3. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Every so often you could try doing LIGHT punching without gloves on just to build up. However, when you are doing full speed and power punches, wrap your tool you fool :D.

4. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

You know....the guys at yellow bamboo think they can throw fire balls.

5. ZXNing

ZXNing New Member

i agree that pretty much, EVERYTHING has been done before, and that whatever youre coming up with right now, is nothing new.. but dont get discouraged.. this kind of thinking is really healthy and shows you have a creative mind

boxing/martial arts/fighting sports are not discretized as some would have you believe, it all exists on a gradient, finding your own spot which you are most comfroatble in is very crucial... do not let other people define your style.. if you only listen to what your instructors tell you, you'll get nowhere

6. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

The only thing you can do is fashion your own unique style of fighting. It may not be a new martial art, but everyone fights differently.

2 guys that have been training in kickboxing under the same coach, at the same gym, for the same length of time, will fight completly differently. One might be a totally technical fighter with a conservative defence. The other may have a wide open style of fighting that is aggressive.

7. shootodog

shootodog restless native

boxing for self defense is a very old idea. basically you take boxing and then take away the rules for sport.

let me tell you first hand that boxers know how to use elbows and they know how to use the clinch and know how to throw a decent headbutt and they also know how to footstomp and do the knee pop/ break (using a knee).

it's all in there. you just can't use it in the ring legally (though you see a lot of it being used in the ring when the ref's not looking).

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

err... I must have missed the part where the PLA (Peoples Liberation Army) has taken up Wing Chun. :D

I severely doubt this to be the case. Do you have any more information on when they started training their troops in Wing Chun? :rolleyes:

9. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

I don't, and I was only kidding. Hence the "lol" after my statement.

10. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Valued Member

I see what your saying now.

11. James Smith

James Smith Banned Banned

Matsui does it why can't someone else.

12. JKDrei64

JKDrei64 New Member

boxing with joint locks?..isn't that called panatukan?? :confused:

13. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Valued Member

Well I guess I should have done my reasearch before posting this.