street attacks

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by daggers, Jan 30, 2012.

1. daggers

daggers Valued Member

i am getting frustrated by the amount of martial arts v street fighting threads!

martial arts in the west is generally going to be learned as a hobby.
    so enjoy it. dont take up a martial art that doesnt appeal to you simply because you want to be "ready incase you get attacked".

you could be a world mma champ and STILL get mugged! FACT!

if you were paranoid about crashing your car everytime you drove,you probably would end up crashing it! because your not concentrating, your not driving relaxed and naturaly.
    so when your "training for the street" you could go into the street VERY aware of being attacked and owtwardly to others you may project a very tense, nervous aura which in turn could make you a target.

spend less time worrying about "what may happen". If you enjoy your training ..martial arts, rugby, swimming ..whatever.. and work hard at it, and i mean the conditioning, cardio, strength, speed, core, etc CONSISTENTLY, then you project a confident image of yourself when you walk the streets and people are more likely to leave you alone.

also dont focus on the actual combat alone, what sets..or at least SHOULD set martial artists apart from the rest when it comes down to actual battle is knowing how to win before the actual battle takes place.
    many war has been won by smaller,physicaly weaker, less equipped armys.
    you can avoid physical confrontations by way of avoiding the situation in the first place, knowing when to keep your opinions to yourself, recognising potential situations. not letting your ego get the better of you etc.( i know of someone, an undefeated pro boxer actually, got knocked out with one punch by a rugby player for shooting his mouth off.)

you will find that most people on the streets are not out to get you. the ones that ARE looking for a fight? dont give them anything to find, carry yourself tall and proud with your head held high, keep yourself to yourself and know that because you train in your chosen sport,you stand a better chance of defending yourself than if you did no training at all.

i know not all will agree and there are points to argue,and i am certainly not saying that self defence is not an issue beacuse it clearly is. and i reccomend martial arts for self defence, but i hope it gives food for thought to someone and helps them with their attitude towards gaining confidence in the correct way

2. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Street fighting threads? Where?

I mustn't of been paying attention again.

3. masterPain

masterPain Valued Member

Street fighters? There better be hadoukens.

4. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I wouldn't fret too much about those threads Daggers. There aren't very many of them and they are generally started by one person.

5. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Sorry didn't mean threads started. just many many threads end up in a street fight v something or other conversation or, how effective is such and such in the street.

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

What? We're allowed to enjoy our training? Why wasn't I told? :D

Nice post daggers.

Mitch

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Very nice post, Daggers. Well said.

8. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Besides, being able to survive a bout of fisticuffs (which, let's face it, you don't need enormous amounts of training to do- being fit will see you through 99% of the time) pales in comparison to being able to do cool things with your body. One is a an occasional survival skill, and hence boring, and the other is sheer awesomeness.

9. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

I have to agree with the physical fitness comment. That seems to me to be the most important, if you're just in good shape you can out last or out fight someone in considerably less condition. Depending on the fight of course.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

This pretty much mirrors my evolution.
    Back in the day it was all about "reality" and self defence. I wouldn't say I was paranoid but the street attack was a prime motivator in my training.
    These days I see the height of my side kick lowering almost monthly and now that is my motivation.
    I've said before and I'll say again...for most of us the threat of lifestyle induced illness (heart problems, obesity, blah blah) are a much greater risk than the boogie man street attacker.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Frankly I would be more worried about the Zombies.......

Z DAY 21 DEC 2012 - PREPARE PEOPLE!!!

12. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I am!

Milla Jovovich has been sent an invite for my New Years party.

Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :whistle: of course this means Woody Harrelson has had to be sent one too.

13. Hannibal

You only need Bruce Campbell and all is safe

14. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

I remember i watched this video somewhere here

It showed some bodyguards and asked them which type of person is more likely to be attacked in the streets from their body langauge.

And the one more confident is less likely, one less confident was more vulnerable.

so what your saying is correct. If someone knows the name and link of the video it would be cool if someone could post it :)

15. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

16. Hannibal

SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. daggers

daggers Valued Member

You wouldn't attack a zombie, not out in the street. They omit a "don't mess with me" attitude that we could all learn from.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  18. daggers

daggers Valued Member

:topic:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  19. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

I would agree with this but with one proviso. Dont be paranoid, stay in good shape. But also dont live in a fantasy world. Dont think that you can knockout an angry attacker with a spinning back kick or a flying dragon kick like in the movies. Stay in shape and stay out of trouble. and if things do kick off, remember to KISS ( keep it simple stupid)

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Though I feel like a lot of self-defense is based on a dark fantasy world. A sort of reverse over-idealization in which life is a constant struggle for survival in a concrete jungle. And my own experience simply doesn't bear that out.