Stratergies For Sparring... Please Add Your Own

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Visage, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

I have been looking at the way different people spar in the different martial arts groups i attend and have noticed lots and lots of differences in stratergy and execution of techniques. What kind of stratergies do you find most effective in free sparring, and how do you follow them up?
    Here's a couple I have started using.

(1) As your opponent moves in to attack, perform a lower side kick to their shin or just above their knee with your front foot. Then move into a volley of combination kicks

(2) Changing stance regularly helps to keep the opponent distracted. Add to this by making circling motions with your hands to create a false sense of build up in your opponent

(3) Let your opponent build up a rythm of techniques, then once your aquainted with this rythm, begin to counter it. This causes your opponent to have to rethink their stratergies, making them lose concertration on their offense as they try focusing on defense.

Please add your own! :D

2. Cain

Cain New Member

Hit hard enough to phsyche your opponent

Catch your opponent in the middle of things eg if you suddenly catch him with a kick/punch when he's changing the side of his stance it will catch him off guard, same as whenhe's just finished a punch and you catch him when he's retracting it his guard will be down unless he's aware ;)

Always block roundhouses with elbows/shins/some kind of hard bone :D

|Cain|

3. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Thanks Cain, any more?? :)

4. Cain

Cain New Member

5. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Sweet :D
    Anyone else got any idea's?

6. kansetsuhazushi

kansetsuhazushi New Member

This is a little hard to do. When your opponent punches, sway to the left/right, and hit them in the elbow or wrist with an ipponken. When your opponent kicks, again sway to the left/right, and hit them in the ankle or knee with and ipponken.

This can be quite usefull if you have the reflexes and speed. I'm working on it with my freinds, but I'm not successfull.

7. Afro

Afro New Member

my technics is to starir at your opponants eyes and noes (this gives a feeling that you have authorety ) and smile (this makes you look confident)and keep good quick footwork other than that it's up to your own technice these will make you fight alot better and your opponant alot worse

8. jwc

jwc New Member

Counterattack. Disrupt opponent's attack with an attack of your own and then follow with a flurry of attacks.

9. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Hey TeJitsuDo,

Nice thread. But I have to disagree with (or at least suggest alterations to) a couple of your ideas

Arbitrarily changing stance is a dangerous thing. Especially against a experienced opponent. Additionally, it's my opinion that stances are positions that you take in between movements. That suggests that you may stay in position too long. If your opponent is moving and you’re still in stance then you better be really good. Additionally, different stances allow and reduce the techniques that you can throw. So be careful, a good opponent can “read” a stance and know where your are both weak and strong.

It's important in sparring not to move arbitrarily. It important to move in time with your opponent. And in moving in time, move in such a way that you are controlling your angles and distance. IMHO controlling distance in a fight is as important, if not more than, the issue of speed (since distance and position can negate speed).

Perhaps a better way to state what you wrote is to try different hand and body positions.

Again, if you’re letting you opponent set the rhythm of a fight then you may have subtly lost control of the situation already. Personally I find it’s better to influence the rhythm. See if I can get my opponent to “adopt” my rhythm and then change it on them.

As for other ideas, (this one may not be a point sparring option) I like to throw out a lot of feeler techniques to try and analyze a person’s block and movement structure. Ie.:
    - Do they stay in one place when they block?
    - Are they a lead or rear blocker?
    - Do they back up in a straight line?
    This works well when you have the time (otherwise it’s important to watch the person as they work with others to see if you can pick out those traits).

Hope that helps,

- Matt

10. oni-no-gaijin

oni-no-gaijin New Member

Good old destructive blocking works for me. I can't help but smile when someone throws a low roundhouse kick, because I know that in another second he'll be rolling around clutching his shin. Stopping a left hook with the point of your elbow is also quite satisfying.