Strange phenomena....

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Taiji_Lou, Apr 14, 2010.

1. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Just thought I would add this small caveat..

"qi" as it is used in the boxing manuals (quanpou) describes your kinesthetic feeling . And It works as a first person experiential guide and check point in practice.

The point is not to focus on the feeling(sensation feedback) in practice, but just to allow kinesthetic feeling to be there as a result of what you are doing and it follows your intent (yi) of its own accord. Some boxing manuals for example describe how this feeling should eminate from your core movement and reach your extremities.

I should probably add that this is my opinion, but I'm fairly certain this is what is being described and not some as yet undiscovered source or reservoir of energy in the body that can be cultivated. Therefore in the context of tai chi chuan practice kinesthetic feeling is the most practical translation and meaning for how "qi" is used and what is described by it in the boxing manuals and classic songs.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/kinesthesia

http://academics.tjhsst.edu/psych/oldPsych/senses/kinesthesia/intro.html

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  2. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

It looks like those "doctors" from the philipines that claim to be able to rip a tumor out of someone with out breaking the skin. What they are actually doing is using slight of hand to simulate the act. What they pull out is not a tumor but likely some pig parts. Maybe dog even.

3. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

This is me being interviewed after reading this thread and trying some chi excersises

[​IMG]

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

It's just like the psychic surgery BS they used to fake.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxMGxz6-oTs"]YouTube- Jamies Randi Debunking Psychic Surgery[/ame]

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

6. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

I dunno... he wasn't exactly ripping out pig guts, there. He was shrinking a tooomah.

He shrunk tha tooomah.

Canyoo shrinkuh tooomah?

I didn't think so.

7. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9JxW7Jhf-0&feature=related"]YouTube- Chi Lel Chi Kung disolves tumor[/ame]

Hah hah hah, I can do that please send me small used bills unmarked in a brown envelope with "I'm a mug please take my money" written on it.

Seriously this isn't evidence. We have no infomation on the patient, tumor type; even whether that the video feed is live or a recording.

The Bear.

8. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Help, i've frozen my body in Snake creeps down! I'm typing with my nose.

9. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

And also.... what if the feed is real?

That'd be awesome.

10. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

So would unicorns be AWESUM. Oh and wizzards an goblins .... oooohh ... DRAGONS!!!

The Bear.

11. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Dude, only dorks get into RPGs. You're not a dork, are you?

I'm a taiji dork, so that's just fine.

But role playing games? Dude... grow up.

12. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

And until someone performs such a feat under controlled conditions,the general consensus,excluding those of a gullible mindset,is.......

NEITHER CAN THOSE WHO MAKE SUCH CLAIMS

or make videos purporting to "prove" such.

Welcome to Logic 101,where we exercise reason,and stretch the legs of a healthy skepticism.

13. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

What is a T'ai Chi dork,pray tell?

One who accepts videos of questionable practices as proof of same?

14. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

The difference between you and a roleplayer is that the roleplayer doesn't really think wizards exist.

15. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

I'm a taiji dork. I'm a guy with glasses who practices taiji. Like a guitar dork, the guy who knows all the scales and riffs and licks and really enjoys talking guitar stuff.

I don't think wizards exist. But I'm sure open to qi awareness. I'm down with anything that can be spelled more than one way..... qi... ki.... chi... ji.... makes my life a little more simple. I love simplicity.

I don't really think that the video is straight up.... but I'm open to the possibility that it could be, sure. That'd be freaking neat. It'd be like, you know... score 1 for the inevitable evolution of the human. What if we ALL at some point had increased capacities to use things like chi? That'd be so cool. It'd be like.... Q in Star Trek!

16. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

I sense much anger in you. :hat:

17. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Then your senses ain't up to snuff today.

As to this- " Like a guitar dork, the guy who knows all the scales and riffs and licks and really enjoys talking guitar stuff."

Where I come from we call those musicians.

But I guess by your definition of dork most of the folks on here are MA dorks.Or must they wear glasses? (Which would include most folks over 40- who weren't dorks 'til they had to wear specs then, I guess).

I'm open to possibilities- but I have tendency to look askance at the same old same old which never submits itself to an acid test.

Disclaimer-no anger was exhibited nor felt in the writing of this post.Really.

18. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Dork: Anyone who has anything to say authoritatively about anything, anywhere, ever. Glasses only enhance the "nessedness" of said dork.

I take it you might be a musician? Rock and roll.

19. Yuen Fen

Yuen Fen Valued Member

I'm now taking bets as to how long before this troll gets banned. :ban:

20. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

I'm not a troll! I'm just at school... got nothing better to do for the next hour than waste time on this forum.

Yuen Fen... what are you talking about?