Strange hamstring pain

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Moosey, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Hi dudes,

I've got something of a recurring problem with what I assume is my hamstring on my left leg. The reason I think it's strange is that it's only really painful when I kick with the opposite leg. If I do a side kick, back kick or round kick (any of the kicks that involves pivoting the standing leg so your toes point away from the opponent) the left leg hamstring twinges really strongly at the point when my right leg straightens.

This seems bizarre to me as I thought that there were no muscles that cross from one leg to the other, so why straightening my right leg would hurt my left hamstring is a bit of a mystery.

The other weird thing is that it doesn't seem to stop me doing any of the traditional hamstring stretches. It doesn't hurt when I touch my toes, for example. I can also kick fine with that leg - it only hurts when I kick with the other leg.

Anyone else had similar problems or suggest any good exercises/stretches to get to the problem or prevent it happening again once I've rested up?

2. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Doesn't have to mean the right leg is connected to the left leg. If you raise one leg, you also put a stress on the pelvis and the muscles keeping everything properly aligned. It might be due to a problem with your alignment or the muscles you use for that. And that may also be why you don't notice during regular stretches. Aside from going to a physiologist, you could try filming yourself doing kicks both left and right, and seeing if your alignment is different between one and the other.

Or perhaps you're just old and decrepit.

:p

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Well, yes, I know that! :hat:

But one of my sources of enjoyment is being old and decrepit and able to kick dudes in the head when they least expect it. :D