“Stop more black suspects”

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Topher, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Topher

Topher allo!

What are people’s views on this? It's interesting that this proposal has come from a black person.

Certainly, the black youths involved in the recent shootings and stabbings here in the UK are not involved because they are black (that would be an absurd claim), but if it is the case that black youths are more likely to be involved in this type of activity – for what ever reason – then would it not make sense to see a greater police presence in minority areas?

While in theory I think it can make sense, in practice it probably would do more harm than good. Even if it were to provide good results many will likely be against the mere principle of it.

2. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

LOL
    In U.S. they've been doing this for a while now without passing any laws to allow them to do so :)

3. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Surely they should just stop anyone they think may have a connection to the crime itself, without looking at colour or anything?
    Or is that too simple...

4. Terao

Terao Valued Member

I agree with rhea on this one very silly :rolleyes:

5. Buckeye Blue

Buckeye Blue Valued Member

If it were that simple, then it probably wouldn't be an issue. How often do minorities in Britain claim unfair harrassment by the police? And how do politicians treat these claims?

The article mentioned "stop and searches". In the US, these often occur when there is no crime. Instead, they are used as a deterent in high crime areas. The problem (aside from constituional issues) being that (1) the high crime areas are often minority areas, and (2) 99% + of the people stopped are not criminals.

So now you have several hundred innocent people angry that they have been treated like a criminal suspect balanced against a policy that is often effective in reducing crime.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  6. FasterStronger

FasterStronger Banned Banned

Black people don't commit more crimes because they're black, they do it because most black people in Britain are poor and poor people are much more likely to commit crimes than the rich. What would be acceptable is to stop more poor teenagers and search them rather than searching black people.

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Yeah, that's probably a sensible suggestion.

8. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Presumably, based around what was said in that article, poor black people are more likely to commit gun and knife crime than poor white people. If that's a fact then we need to be looking at why that might be but also, from a pragmatic viewpoint, perhaps the police should be focusing on particular racial groups if information shows that they're more likely to commit certain crimes. After all, the victims are often black too. If it was pure racism, the cops would be saying "Since they're only killing other black people, let 'em get on with it!".

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It's not the case in Liverpool, it is mostly white gun crime there.

10. Topher

Topher allo!

Of course. But the point is, if black youths are statistically more involved in gun and knife crime (for what ever reason; the hip hop culture appears to correlate well with this and may be something do so with it), and the police pay more attention to black youths as a result, then it will be automatically seen as racism, rather than the police following statistical probability. The police would not have focused on them because of there colour.

I agree. Now how do we identify a poor person?

11. FasterStronger

Thick eye brows, large forehead, warts, spotty, bad teeth, large chin, greesy hair, baseball cap, generally ugly and crooked nose.

12. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_search

Seems to me that so long as the reason for the stop and search is good, the race shouldn't matter. I thought it used to be that stop and search was predicated heavily on race alone which is why the policy to stop that was implemented.

13. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

QFT
    Liverpool you're more likely to get stabbed by a 15 year old white chav than shot by a "black youth"(as they seem to have been labelled). But you'd have to be stupid enough to walk around outside of the town centre at night to have it happen.

14. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Not so easy to avoid if you live there.

15. FasterStronger

I agree, you should not have to avoid a place in town because criminals like to hang out there, it should be safe for people to walk whereever they like at any time of day.

16. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Once again it's a rather short term "quick fix" idea that will fail.

I think more police should be on the beat, in areas that have more crime; you should have a higher percentage of Bobby’s. It makes perfect sense, be it a white, black, ginger or high obesity area.

People are blinded by colour too much and it's used as an excuse.

But i think in order to control these social problems it needs years and years of correct planning and careful community help. The poverty gap needs to be battled over a long term fight. Stop searches will not help the situation much at all, the problem is a deep rooted one which needs years of digging to up root.

17. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

In America we call this profiling! Truth is in certain areas it is not just black but what there record shows.

18. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

And you base this silly comment on what?

Any cop worth his salt will not look at race, age, or any other "trait' when trying to catch criminals. Let's take people that move drugs and the proceeds of drug sales around the states. When I was a cop and I looked for a black male driving a beat up old car, then I would miss the white tractor trailor driver carrying nothing but money in the walls of his truck. Or, I would miss the old folks in the RV.

If you want to talk neighborhood crime statistics, ok. If I worked the projects and I saw someone that was caucasian walking around, they were more likely to get my attention then anyone else. Why? Hell, they don't belong there and are either lost, stupid, or looking for something. Anyone that thinks cops just look at one factor, one race, one sterotype to fight crime has no idea about law enforcement.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  19. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

Might be silly, but mostly true.
    I'm sure you've heard of Racial Profiling and DWB (Driving While Black). It's different here in Midwest :)

20. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Mostly true? I'd love to see how you back that up. :confused:

I was a cop in North Carolina and yes, I have heard that phrase. But any cop that stops one segment of the population will have that fact brought up in court by a good defense attorney. I am sure that Domino will back me up on this. If a cop stops more African Americans, or has large amount of minority arrests then any other segment of society, he will have to explain that fact in court. And he had better have a darn good story or he will be discredited in the court room and open for a law suit. Does Racial Profiling occur? Heck yes, but it is a stupid way to combat crime in a meaningful manner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.