Still the best? ...

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Diego_Vega, Jun 25, 2004.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Huh. Allysa Patalinghug. Must be my first teacher's kid. (Guess I've been out of touch longer than I thought.)

Edit: Struth! He had the whole gang in that competition, by the looks of it.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2004
  2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I just got off the phone this morning and have been reliably informed that Great Britain's (Sorry not England - GB is England Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland) medal tally was 9 gold and I think 7 silver and 5 Bronze.

My source is the father of a young 12 year old student of mine who has Dispraxia who won the Gold in the forms and cam 4th if the sparring competition.
    Having partaken in the event in Cebu in the past I know full well that the newspapers over their can sometimes get their figures wrong as in 1998 when GB came 2nd with 13 Golds, the Philippines had 22 and US had 12, within 2 days the papers were saying that the Philippines bagged an astonishing 28 golds, GB had 6 and US had 18. Yes that was astonishing, especially to the GB team. So when I find out the real medal tally I will let you know.

Mabuhay

Pat O'Malley :Angel:

3. Pat OMalley

Big Family

The Patalinghug family is very big, I remember Judging Carlos Patalinghug Jnr way back in 1994 and he was teching and coaching some of the Kid's of the US team. And since then I seem to have come across more Patalinghug's at every world championships, they always do well. :)

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I was a student of his in 1994, actually.

I haven't seen him in a couple of years. But when I visited the school then, he kept pointing to students and saying "he's mine, she's mine, he's mine... "

:)

5. Pat OMalley

What do your think that means?

I think you now know what he really means when he say's he's mine. A true Filipino, loves his kids, lots of them, bit like my Scottish / Irish family I have the 2nd on the way and who knows in a few years time I may too say the same.

If you see CP Jnr give him my regards as I had to miss this years World Champs.

Mabuhay

Pat O'Malley ;)

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I certainly do. He's working on a whole gang over there. :)

The Patalinghugs are a great family, the whole lot of them.

I'll do that, yeah. I dropped him an email yesterday. I'll have to plan a trip up to Baltimore in the near future for a visit.

Take care Pat!

Stuart

7. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Valued Member

When I have mentioned I train in the FMA's to Filipino's some get upset, and deny that there a national art. Some are surprised that an American cares about the natural arts of the Phillipines, as most of the instructors had bad reps or taught out of back yards or extra rooms, and not schools like the CMA's or KMA's or JMA's so.

I have found it an issue here in the US, so I do not think it only in the PI.

Is there a cultural issues that looks down on the FMA's as beign too violent, or poor class, or ... ?

This is not an insult to anyone, just asking.

Thank You

8. Roman_Rapido

Roman_Rapido New Member

Cultural Issue on FMA.....

Hello Mr. Parsons,

I'm not surprised that some Filipinos deny that Arnis is a native art of the Philippines. I met some Filipinos and some Fil-Ams who said that Arnis is a Spanish Martial Art :eek: . I would like to ask you why were those Filipinos you've met were upset that you're taking FMA? I could guess, that it hit right smack on their disregard for their own culture and realizing that a foreigner is more knowledgable and more appreciative of their own culture. :cry:

Here in the Philippines, I think it is more of a class issue than a cultural issue as to why some Filipinos tend to look down on FMA here. Those that are from the rich and upper middle class don't usually take Arnis because it is baduy (tacky) since in their minds it is a "poor man's art". Who are the one's that take the FMA? The poor soldiers, the local tanods, students that are studying in public schools. What martial arts do these rich kids study, Tae Kwon Do, BJJ, and Kendo :eek: because in their minds, they are "cool". Besides, the true masters of Arnis don't have their own air-conditioned schools and teach in public parks and their backyards.

9. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

I agree about it being a class issue but also see the changes as to who continues to train FMA. It no longer is limited to the poorer and middle class because those that do support it are also those that have had the opportunity to see FMA from a perspective abroad. Like we have mentioned many have heard of the proliferation and improved if not unique development of their own arts elsewhere but in their own homeland. The truth does hurt when you see foreigners who appreciate and even are far more developed in FMA because we ourselves don't support it thus loosing the opportunities to improve. It is a luxury to train Martial arts, other countries can do so 7 times a week and for several hours whereas here going to a class would require lot's of sacrifices and adjustments, In other countries they can affford to intermingle or compare systems and arts to further improve upon their skills (something almost impossible to do back in the Philippines).
    Many times you will find it is the Balikbayans who search out these Masters who teach secretly or import these Masters to come abroad and teach FMA because they have seen how good their art is elsewhere and the Masters will come out if sponsored to be paid in $$ for what they know. Filipinos tend to be very giving and sharing if asked to demo their art to foreigners but secretive and will guard their stuff if teaching locally back home :confused: but these very foreigners taught will share with anyone willing to learn and may not care to be involved with all the politics about who's system is better when it comes to Martial Arts further improving upon their skills while we with the "Crab mentality" and colonial mentality further head the wrong way.

Possible solution? Nothing speaks louder than showing your skills, it's the best way to do your art justice, get good at FMA then share it, But GET GOOD AT IT the best way you can! Because what ever impresssion you leave behind may be judged on the quality of your developed skills. You become the ambasador of your art to those that have never seen FMA and may sway to try it when they see what you have to offer. Educate them. Then as Diego mentioned do your best to give back to those who taught you in whatever way you can.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2004
  10. deCadena

deCadena New Member

It's ok guys. Don't you like it that way fewer people can kill you? And when the time comes that you face this jacks without training you'll simply be smiling and saying to yourself. YOU'RE MINE. just kidding. :)

Anyhow, I have met a lot of people and the desire to learn MA here is pretty slim... There's no demand thus the supply isn't aggressive (though we have them).

11. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

unfortunately, these Jacks or "jologs" do know how to use homemade weapons...doesn't take much to do damage with that plus the fact that they engage in frequent "rambols" and criminal elements they DO know how to use their weapons of choice be it simple but effective. the ever so present "anong gagawin mo kapag'..what would you do if...is constantly being played to develop skills to get their job done. Not a martial art but a fighting skill of the streets. I guess now that i think about it, fewer people can kill me with martial arts they probably have the discipline not to kil me) Many could kill me in the streets easily, In Pinas your skill does nt mean a thing in the streets, we just don't care...traidoran (dirty fighting) is the name of the game. It makes use of the element of surprise with weapons. Sorry to stray off topic :eek:
    We should use the marketing strategies of the Canetes since they are able to draw so much support for their version of FMA. Be it wekaf rules or not more power to them , Hope we find similar solutions to support the other systems who have different approaches or ideas about FMA.

12. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

The WEKAF Championships were actually televised last Saturday on IBC (one of the smaller networks here in the Philippines.) I only caught the last hour, but from what I saw, they only showed the sparring, no forms. (Could be wrong on this.) Upon discovering it, I immediately texted all of my friends and students to watch it. They texted back asking how the winner was chosen because all they saw was two people whacking away at each other. Kudos to the Canetes for being able to get it on tv for national exposure. For me it had the same problem as when I watch URCC (Ultimate Reality Combat Championship - our version of Pride FC/UFC) on Solar Channel. In URCC, Alvin Aguilar, the promoter of the event, always comes up with intelligent insights on what is happening in the ring. Unfortunately, his broadcast partner QH comes up with the most innane comments making it obvious he knows nothing about mma. The commentators for the WEKAF event didn't do anything to enlighten me as to what was happening and why. One guy was supposed to be an arnisador, but he acted more like a roving reporter than a commentator. The commentator was out of his element completely. There was one match where the combatants whacked and hacked at each other for 2 rounds. Then they announced at an overtime would be needed. The commentator, in all seriousness, said "okay, overtime, first hit wins!" Luckily one of the Canetes sitting at the table said that there was actually a time limit for the overtime round.

A couple of interesting things. There were roughly 400 competitors, and 150 of those came from the U.S. team. Most of the competitors for the Philippines, in the sparring competition, tended to be soldiers.

13. Pat OMalley

Phew, nothing changes then, it has always been the same, in good luck to the Canete's they have always managed to get the even on TV and in the paper, even though that many comenting and writing have not got a clue on about what exactley they are talking about.
    It is true, unless you know the format of the sparring competitions it is hard to follow.

Mabuhay

Pat O'Malley
    Former 3 times WEKAF World Champion. :woo:

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It's the same scoring system as boxing. 10-10 is an even round. 10-9 someone dominated the round. 10-8 someone REALLY dominated the round. 10-7 someone forgot to show up.

15. neokensei

neokensei New Member

Two centavos...

Just my two centavos on the topic:

I tend to frown on generalizations as some of the above statement seems to be. Having practiced Kendo, not because it was "cool", but because I was exposed to certain philosophical works (and those who aren't serious, those who take the blunt of the generalization, tend not to last long when the practice gets hard); which I had first tried to implement in arnis (the first martial art I took seriously...Doce Pares in Southridge HS by a Mr. Bong Canete...I eventually left because Quezon City was too far from Muntinlupa, and I lost contact with my arnis teacher).
    Furthermore, I don't think the venue of practice is not a good point of argument as far as indicating/determining a person's ability to teach. Although they would never refer to themselves as masters, my instructors in the Chinese martial arts have never had a venue of their own outside of their homes or a public park, would that, in any way, degrade or improve their ability to teach or perform their art?
    Lastly, I have always also frowned at any attempts to place any margins/borders between 'classes'. I find such attempts to be divisive and, thus, not helpful. Perhaps I'm being too idealistic in thinking that the so-called poor, who strive hard and may or may not get what is their due, should work hand in hand with the so-called rich, who have greater responsibilities in helping their fellow men, having been blessed more... (or maybe its just been a long day and I'm just ranting at 3am...)

Regardless...lets not have generalizations (its a big no-no in debates!)...and Long Live ALL Martial Arts, whether they be Filipino, Korean, Japanese, Indian, Chinese, Indonesian, European, or wherever.

Peace,

J. :Angel:
    -Kendo (prov. Ikkyu), Hsing-I, Tai Chi, Pa Kua (basic), Basic Wushu, Modern Cruzada Arnis, Doce Pares Escrima, (basic) Karate, (basic) Tae Kwon Do, Chinese weapons, pistol

16. Roman_Rapido

Roman_Rapido New Member

Hello Neokensei,

I agree on putting an effort to remove generalizations in the martial arts and I commend you on raising the issue on breaking the borders between classes (rich vs. poor). As much as I appreciate the idealism that you have shown, the issue still remains as why FMA is not as popular in the Philippines as compared to other foreign arts. I'm glad that you have reached a level of maturity and enlightenment in the approach of the martial arts, but a lot of other practioners might not be sharing the same attitude. More often than not, I have encountered incidents where fellow MA practitioners would bad-mouth FMA simply because it's Filipino. "Arnis? 'Wag yan galing sa pinas yan. Try Tae Kwon Do instead" (this is a direct quote by an acquaintance). It is not to say that all rich people look down on FMA, but I could tell you, a good number of them do say it. As for the poor, well they see FMA as what it is, a way to learn self-defence. Since they don't have much choice as to what MA they wanted to learn, FMA is the closest that they could afford. They don't have to buy the gi, belts, gloves, armor, mats etc. just come with your P25.00 stick. :)

The example I gave on the venue of practice is not to use it as a point of reference in determining a person's ability to teach, but I use it as an example of how wide the difference is in regards to the support and development that each martial art have been given. Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Aikido and Muai Thai have their strong organization, the benefit of their government that supports the practioners and big private companies to invest in the art. In Arnis, we don't have that. Those and many others are what contributed to the present state of FMA here.

17. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

The example I gave on the venue of practice is not to use it as a point of reference in determining a person's ability to teach, but I use it as an example of how wide the difference is in regards to the support and development that each martial art have been given. Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Aikido and Muai Thai have their strong organization, the benefit of their government that supports the practioners and big private companies to invest in the art. In Arnis, we don't have that. Those and many others are what contributed to the present state of FMA here.....

Very good point,
    Martial arts IS a luxury in the Philippines. We're being honest about WHY Fma is the way it is. Because of limited support, even some of the very teachers of the art are unable to DEVELOP the art to it's highest standards becasue of lack of funding and support. There are some but in a minority of us who are able to educate ourselves with different arts so as to be able to better understand our own and find better ways to train and teach the art so that it can keep up with the quality that is being developed else where.

Not that it is not there but you seriously have to look for it whereas abroad you can find it. More foreigners are aware or educated about FMA than Filipinos in the Philippines. What most Filipinos do know is quite limited plus the colonial mentality thereby making them go toward the more common Ma that you can find. but it's not that readily available for all to see. Those that are very good teach it abroad where because of their quality and skill have been asked to do seminars and are well paid for it. They few that do practice it have to do so when they can afford to find the time, train in A specific system rather than be able to cross train systems, have limited access to materials which will further improve their own skills (books, shared info like these forums, video cameras to watch themselves perform, scientific, safety equiptment so as not to constantly be injured to be able to train and experiements with realtime application vs a resisting partner) all these require some sort of funding.
    Elsewhere abroad where MA is a full time buisness for some, they are able to get the above. BUT there is some support developing...FMA is slowly being inducted officially into the Military and Law enforcement...Pekiti Tirsia Kali leads the way in every BALIKATAN joint U.S. And Philippine Military training especially now with the reality of urban and Close quarter combat. It was once reserved for just the Special Forces like the Recon, SAF comandos, rangers and SWAG but now will become a basic part of the Philippine Marines training. All the TKD, KARATE, JUDO even our own kickboxing will slowly give way to what they feel is more applicable to what they have to do...weapons fighting. YY though still has a good following in the AFTAC group , hope it melds in nicely with the weapons and with Ardigma being formed looks like good things are coming. I am talking about official programs and not limited training regiments for certain people.
    As time goes on and as long as it continues to be supported by able practitioners of the FMA (the Masters and their skilled followers) then Pinoys will be educated then hopefully a good demand for the art will fall into place.
    The above statements may be taken as generalizations. Sorry if it appears to be so . I know of no other way to call a spade a spade...they are statements based on my experiences and affiliations. They are said to hopefully help promote and further the Filipino Fighting Arts among it's people (of course to everyone willing to study it). becasue as you can see...there IS a hurdle we need to overcome in the Philippines.

Mabuhay!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2004
  18. Roman_Rapido

Roman_Rapido New Member

When I learned that the Armed Forces of the Philippines has expanded the training of Pekiti Tersia not just for the Force Recon but to the entire Marine Corps I was very happy even if I'm not a PTK practitioner because at least now the government has recongnized the combat effectivity of FMA. But I'm also filled with dread because with the continuing increase in demand for FMA in the Armed Forces as well as Police and Civilian Militia, there could be a shortage of qualified FMA instructors. This was echoed by Tuhon Gaje because all of his top students are overseas. He has been working double time in training Filipino students (and Guro Rommel Tortal) that could teach PTK to the other branches of the AFP.

But apart from showing FMA as a combative art, we can also show that it is a good cardio excercise (for health buffs), a great cultural and artistic piece (for culture vultures and movie buffs) or a historical and sociological reference (for historians, social antropologist and other academics). All in all, there's more to FMA than meets the eye, all we have to do is be open to its posiblities and potential.......

19. kayumanggi

kayumanggi New Member

What people that are reading this thread should realize is that the general status of FMA in the Philippines is behind in regards to the number of Filipinos actively practicing the art, compared to the U.S. and Europe. But the problem really is what the general public learns, both internationally and in the P.I. is really generic, and therefore many foreigners are running in circles inventing what Filipino's think are superior techniques and training methodologies. This is false.

All of the Masters in the P.I. have closely guarded techniques and training methods that very few have been priveleged to see, and of those few individuals NONE are foolish enough to teach what they really know to the public, and that includes other Filipinos.

I guarantee you that what I have seen taught abroad pales in comparison to what I have seen taught privately in closed door sessions. And all of these techniques are directly from the P.I., and is not openly taught to even their highest ranking instructors.

IMHO this method of secrecy has been purposely set in place to make sure that the Philippine Masters are always the best in the world.

What happens in sporting events is not true combat, and the only way to find out who really has superior skills is in a true match without rules, and safety precautions, fought with real weaponry not rattan or padded sticks.

Mabuhay ang Arnis sa Pilipinas

Last edited: Jul 29, 2004
  20. Mr.Gordo

Mr.Gordo New Member

Gee, that's a new one. Haven't heard someone say the old "We Have Secret Techniques that We don't Show Anyone, Not Even Our Own Intructors" line in a while. Let me guess, they're so deadly they can't enter NHB events either. :rolleyes:

Mr. Gordo