Stiffness!

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Pompeythegreat, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

HI

I went to judo last night and had a great workout, but today I have a lot of stiffness in my upper body, specifically my lower back and arms. So my question is... what can I do to help lower my stiffness? I was thinking of:

• Foam Rollers
    • Stretching
    • Deadlifts

Can you give me any advice to help the pain?

This may be in the wrong section, feel free to move it!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  2. mattt

mattt Valued Member

How long after training did you wait before drinking beer? Try to get it in the system within at least 30 minutes for best results.

3. Pompeythegreat

Thanks but no im still a minor :p

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Easy stretching can help, gentle exercise like walking or jogging, foam rolling, make sure your diet is sorted and you're getting enough sleep, and a long soak in a hot bath can work wonders.

You should find that once you start going regularly the post Judo stiffness eases up somewhat.

5. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

This is SHEER BRILLIANCE -as always, miss Frodo. The only thing I'd add is a bit of icy/hot goes a long way toward increasing elasticity in the affected area.

Take a good long soak in that tub like Frodo suggested and then get someone like your mom or girlfriend to give you a good rubdown with the icy/hot. Helps me every time.

6. Frodocious

I'm too much of a wimp for icy! I tend to reserve ice for actual injuries/bruising which means the ice pack often goes onto selected areas after judo!

7. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

I meant this:

[​IMG]

8. Frodocious

Aaah! I've not heard of that. I do sometime use Tiger Balm which may have a similar effect.

9. Pompeythegreat

Is that similar to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RUB_A535 RUB A535? Because if it is it shouldn't be a problem to get.

Thanks everyone for the help

10. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Farr, I know you well enough to know that you should never be trusted with any kind of cream....ever.

:p

11. Pompeythegreat

HEY! NO! Come on man i thought we decided not to talk about that! Shhhhhhhh :p

12. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Eat a lot of protein, cycle creatine, listen to your body.

I don't like icy hot, think its a sham but thats just me, real ice is very effective on a injury if you get it there in time.

You have to get tough, build slowly and you'll be there before you know it. Right now I could back to back daily classes, a year ago I would ache too much from just twice weekly.

13. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Icy Hot, for those of us on the other side of the pond, is a balm with menthol crystals in a base that is heat type linament (?oil of wintergreen, camphor or the like). Use to use it when I played American ball in school. I think that it is essentially a distraction that allows your muscles to relax. What ever your nervous system focuses on can have a great effect on the tightness of your muscles. ANYTHING that overrides the perception of pain has the potential to help you relax. That goes for linaments, hot or cold packs, electrical stimulation or good old massage.

NONE of these are a replacement for cold packs when they are really needed.

Just my opinion (and a bit of physiology that with some effort I can give evidence for :' P )

As has been said it will take awhile for your body to get accustomed to what you are doing and then the amount of muscle activity should not be so bad.

FWIW

LFD

14. Pompeythegreat

Fair enough. By cycle creatine do you mean use the supplement? If so I don't really know enough about supplements other than Whey to be comfortable using them.

15. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Date a masseuse.

Edit: Or learn how to massage yourself. (no joke).

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  16. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Listening to your body is the most important, start with upping protein, see how that helps for a month or so, if you are still struggling consider supplimenting with the creatine etc.

Whey within 30 mins of training (since you are a minor) Casin before bed if you want to get more technical about your protein.

17. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Rolling pins, foam rollers, tennis balls, a walking stick... the list goes on and on

there are infinite ways to inflict pain upon yourself to get rid of trigger pints and the like... it hurts so good :' D

FWIW

LFD