Stiffness in the Mornings

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Victoria, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

Does anyone else suffer from stiffness when they wake up?

Obvious jokes aside. I know everyones a little stiff when they first wake up, but this is so bad I can't get out of bed at first and it seems to be getting progressively worse. I feel like an 80 year old.

Does anyone know of anything that could help, more flexibility work, cod liver oil supplements...?

:confused:

2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I often have a similar thing V, especially my legs ,ankles and back. I take Omega 3 oil every day and that does seem to help. I always have to have a little stretch before getting up so I can just get my ankles moving.

3. Victoria

I'm hoping the Omega 3 will help, when I put them somewhere I'll remember to take them!

(do you take them in the morning or the evening?)

4. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I take mine in the evening as it's just a routine I find really helps, although perhaps it would be better taking them with food? I just keep them by my bed and it's just become habit now.

5. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

My neck and shoulders feel a bit stiff sometimes when I wake up, but I noticed it all depends on what position I sleep in, the more contorted, the stiffer.

I also notice that it takes much longer for me to get in to various stretch positions in the mornings as opposed to the evenings, I'm guessing it has something to do with the long period of inactivity during sleep not stimulating and pushing all the fluids around in your joints.

Also, my mattress is really soft and I think that may also have something to do with is, as I noticed when I sleep on a hard surface like floor or tent bedding, my body is much more loose in the mornings. I'm thinking that if your bed is soft, then your body does not have to adjust to it and can remain stiff, on the other hand is your bed is hard, then your body has to be soft or soften up in order for you to be comfortable enough to sleep.... or not.. :)

6. Victoria

Interesting points! I should sleep on the floor tonight and see if it helps ;)

I imagine it's easier to stretch in the evening rather than morning as your body is a bit more warmed up from the days activities. Stretching in the morning is good for warming yourself up before work though - if you can manage anything at that early hour! (I can't)

I'll try making it routine to take the vits etc before bed, or maybe when I get in from work would be better. I think it depends on what you're taking, some work better with food but some work better when you're resting/sleeping.

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I have definitely noticed a marked improvement in my back (though it's crap again at the moment) from taking the fish oils over the last year or so. I would love to say it has eased my general aches from training but it hasn't really. I don't really get much oily fish in my diet as I hate the taste of it generally.
    Also I find a quick massage with something like white flower oil or that kind of thing at night can help me feel less stiff in a morning.

8. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Rofl. That's hilarious. You are such a posher Lou.

I've found as my general flexibility has gone up the less stiff I wake up in the morning. After lifting weights or doing conditioning I tend to get very stiff if I don't stretch between the activity and the sleep.

Also get enteric coated fish oil pills - no fish burps!!

9. Victoria

Fish burps can't be as bad as the mackerel I bring into work occasionally. Nobody will mind :D

I'll stick the tub somewhere I won't forget to take them...

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Oi watch it you! :D It works though, just seems to heat the muscles up, I didn't mean I employ my own masseuse to come in an evening and give me a good going over before bed ! :D

11. Yohan

They live on my desk next to my monitor. Haven't got them today. BOOOOO!!

12. Yohan

I know it was still funny though. I figured you either upgraded your boyfriend or did it yourself.

13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Lol! :D I do get a proper deep tissue/pressure point massage about every 3 weeks or so though, can really tell when it's time for another. :( I get Holland and Barrett omega 3 V, not noticed fish burps. Though I do have my own office.....no one seems to want to share. Odd! :D