stick-work

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Charm, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Charm

Charm New Member

Hey all...

I've recently gone back to training after coming back from holiday after uni finished and i was slightly surprised. The 3rd Kyu's and above have started using 1.3m (51") long sticks in kata's. They use this so that your body positions can be made more obvious and is a great teaching aid
    eg
    the knee should be over the foot and so when training others, if you hold the stick upright next to the foot, it shows whether the knee is in-line, over or not covering the foot
    in pinan-sandan, after the front three blocks, followed by the open hand punch then the turn, putting your hand behind your back and leaning forward, the body should be in a straight line and so by putting the stick flat against your back, you can show the pupil and the others if his legs is in line with his back (or vice versa by putting the stick on the leg) etc

after training for a bit myself, i have only just realised that kata's can also cater for weapons and the syllabus you learn since white belt can be used with some weaons too.

I was just wonderin how many others have been using this?

:cool:

2. Alex_JHH

Alex_JHH Cardboard Tube Samurai

We use it as an option, e.g. the student doesn't ever have to buy weapons. However, we do learn how to incorporate jo/bo and nunchaku into kata, and at higher levels sai.