Stick taping tips?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Guitar Nado, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I see that a lot of folks tape the business end of their sticks - with electrical tape. Online some people recommend duct tape.

Any recommendations? Anyone have a particular method? I assume the different colors of electrical tape are just a personal thing, and don't signify anything in particular.

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

I tape up the business end of my bastons because I am cheap and good rattan is hard to come by. Any tape will do. My favorite kind of tape is the clear type of packing tape. Most of my bastons are taped up with duct tape.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I just tape mine when the fibres start to break up and use black insulation tape.

It definately prolongs the life of the stick.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

A few reasons for tape:

1) Tell your sticks apart from everyone else's. I started in a fairly big school, and once people started putting their sticks down, having the different tape patterns really helped with sorting everything out again afterward.

2) Holding the stick together when it begins to fray apart. Enough said.

3) Improved grip. I used hockey tape personally. Meant I could hold onto the stick better as I sweated (profusely). It also wore on the hands a lot, which (in the long run) served me better. You want those callouses, eventually.

5. frownland

frownland 【ツ】

Anyone ever tried heatshrink?

6. Simon

Never tried it, but overtaping does dull the sensation, so I'm not sure what sort of feedback you'd get from heatshrink.

7. shootodog

That's another good point. You shouldn't overtape your baston. Maybe one or two layers will be enough.

8. Simon

I start an inch or so away from the weak spot and spiral the tape down, then overlap back up. Two layers and it lasts for ages.

9. shootodog

Exactly!

10. ryan4nayr

ryan4nayr New Member

Hi, new to these forums.

After prolonged, repeated exposure to moisture (e.g., sweat, skin oils from hands), the dye and adhesive got all over the hands and made gripping anything afterwards rather challenging. I switched sticks whenever it happened (thankfully it takes a while), but all that gunk was already all over me. Just as bad when I hit my training partner and gunk was all over him/her as well. For classes, I am au naturel.

I am also tape-less on my bahi sticks. They are slippery but no way would I mar their beautiful finish when it can be avoided.

For my tournament sticks (28" and longer), I use colored tennis head guard tape religiously. I hit very hard and fast; the extra layer does make a difference. Making sure I have as much range on my stick as possible, I can look if my gloves are still on black tape through the limited view within the WEKAF helmet while striking air.

11. Simon

I've just shot a real basic tutorial on how I tape my sticks.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPoxSur3mtI"]Eskrima Stick Repair - YouTube[/ame]

12. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Simon - I somehow missed this when you posted this and just now saw it. Thanks for taking the time to do it!