Steves strongish log.

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by seiken steve, Aug 29, 2011.

1. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

I quite like the 531 framework - it's enough of "do this" to help me through the days of being unable to decide things for myself, and enough of "or you could do this" to allow accessory/volume variation :D

Also, thanks for the Mrs Harry program tips mate, very useful

2. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

That's exactly my thoughts.

No problem at all buddy, that's pretty much my whole job/business summed up in a few badly spelt sentences! The joys of work capacity stuff is linear progress Is less important which helps transitioning women into lifting, rather than after the second or third time they front squat they start worrying about getting massive quads, I might use 3 different squats in 3 different sessions.

Also, goblet squats are gold for women.

3. seiken steve

strict press
    my press felt like poop. annoying. might drop the training max down for it and get more reps
    bar x10
    40kg x5
    47.5kg x5
    52.5 x5

reverse grip bench
    5x10 @ 60kg, 32x1

did a circuit of TRX skull crusher, pec dec and lat raise machine.

4. seiken steve

and.... in typical fashion my shoulder got hurty.

trying to decide how long it will take to be un-hurty and if its worth doing a squat focused program for 6 weeks to give it some time....

5. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Nightmare. Does your shoulder limit the type of squat you can do?

How about 6 days per week, zerchers and fronts, 10x10@70%... See how long it lasts ;) :D

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

4 weeks of daily front and back squats (alternating) to heavy singles with 3s at 90% plus heavy pulls put my front and back squat to its current number but I was hitting my max, daily with no effort.

Those daily squat program's need mad calories. I actually got leaner cos I was swimming 4 hours a day too but I was eating 5 full meals a day.

7. seiken steve

I've had 'big texas method' by chad smith in my laptop for months and been looking forward to giving it a go.

Monday: high bar volume, Wednesday heavy fronts, Friday max out Friday, low bar

so this week ive 10x5 @95kg with 45-60 seconds rest on Monday. 5x5 fronts on Wednesday, and a 10rm on Friday...

going to be SO SORE. i'll finish each squat day with an upper back thingy and as it gets better start it with some chins/pull ups. on Tuesday and Thursday i'll do what 'push' stuff I can till it starts to get better, right now i'll be able to do machine skull crushers or pushdowns if i'm lucky when its better i'll probably just do a moderate 5x5 on press and incline each day and finish with dips. obviously something has to give, and pressing will be that something...

8. seiken steve

volume squatty day. BTM.

high bar back squat
    warm ups
    95kg x5 x10 (ten sets of five) paused at least one rep in most sets.

last set was the fastest and most explosive.

seated cable row SS cable crunch
    4x10 of each

feet elevated TRX row SS decline sit up
    3 sets each

machine preachers
    50 total reps

9. seiken steve

Heavyish fronts day.

front squats
    62.5kg x5
    67.5 x5
    72.5kg x5
    77.5kg x5
    82.5kg x5

5-8 strict chins between each set.

Pull downs 3x8
    DB shrugs 3x10 with 42kg each
    Hammer curls 50 total reps.

10. seiken steve

I can do some light incline DB bench. Yay.

incline DB bench
    20kg each x10
    28kg each x8
    34kg each x5
    24kg each 2x10

Tried other stuff but made my shoulder sad. Did 2x10 skull crushers with 30kg and some pushdowns.

11. seiken steve

squats
    Bar x5
    60kg x3
    100kg x2
    140kg x1
    120 kg x10

power clean
    60kg x3
    80kg x3,3,3
    90kg x2,2

chins
    3x8

lever practice
    preacher curls

12. seiken steve

squat stuff.

back squat
    107.5 kg 10x4 with 60-90 secinds rest, alternating high and low bar.

felt like crap today and in a foul mood.

chins, pulldowns, shrugs and curls

13. seiken steve

what press I can do with this shoulder:

warmed up to a couple sets of 6 with the 34s, then did a few sets of 20 wiith the 22s

then did some ridiculous amount of skull crushers with triple drop sets, partials, CGBP, pull over and presses. IE: 40kg 10 skulls, drop 30kg; 12 skulls, 8 partials 10 CG presses, drop 20kg : 10 skulls, 12 partials, 10 pull over and presses, 8 close grip presses. that's one set, did 4, never had a pump like it.

14. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Boo for shoulder problems :(

Is it better to rest, or just press lightly, or do active rehab stuff (band pulls and the like)?
    Are you self-diagnosing/treating or have you seen someone about it?

15. seiken steve

I work a lot in injury management and treatment, so I'm rolling with it. It feels exactly like a anterior delt strain/rotor cuff tweak. I did the same to my left when I first started lifting and did nothing with it which caused it to shorten and scar which still bugs me (not bad but annoying) I'm determined to keep it moving and maintain mobility this time, even if it takes a little longer to fully recover.

I'm not pushing for huge weight on two movements I can do (incline DB and incline hammer strength) and keeping it light (if I can't do 3 second eccentrics it's too heavy) 34s is where I've been stopping myself. My incline needed work and I'm focusing on squat/upper back at the min so it's really not a big deal for me, it's actually forcing me to work on week spots (upper chest, tris and traps)

Shrugged a set of 10 with 50kg dumbbells with no straps so my grip 'play' seems to be working and it appears my arms may actually be considering growing which is exciting.

Just did some front squats, medium weight, 5x3 working from 65 to 87.5 all felt super easy.

Doing bodybuildy stuff for my back later with another PT. Can't weight. (Lol punzzzz)

16. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

I thought that might be the case ;)
    Fingers crossed mate

17. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Could the shoulder pain be that the lat on that side isn't activating enough? The lats are big muscles I imagine they should do a lot of work.
    Knee pain is often the glute medius not being storng enough I read somewhere.

Edit:
    I just looked it up and the lats are just for pulling, I thought with lat tension needed for bench presses they might be for pushing as well.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  18. seiken steve

weak and inactive lats will never be a problem, I hurt my delt in an accident.

so yesterday I worked up to a 125kg for 8 on the squat which felt decent enough. did a ouple of not so great deadlifts with a measly 170kg I expected my pull to drop while I focused on my squat, as long as it stays at 180kg x3 which it feels like it is im happy. i'll just do some power cleans on Fridays for fun and to keep the muscle where it is needed.

today I trained arms, yeah arms. going to make Thursday a rest day and hot some arms on Saturdays becase A) it fills time on my cleaning shift at the gym
    B) I have no arms
    C) having bigger arms is cool

19. seiken steve

volume day

so, the big texas method is becoming more bearable, dunno 'm im getting used to the volume or what. legs don't look to have grown... going to finish Fridays up with power cleans as deads seem a little too much to recover from.

squats
    10x3 @120kg
    felt easy enough.

cable rows.
    something I d with clients on a pull down is 10 wide grip, shoulder width, 10 surpinated close grip. put the lat pull bar on the cable row and did the same. pumpy.

close neutral grip pull downs SS straight arm pull downs
    a bunch.

occlusion curls
    10 mins of misery. ouch.

20. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Hey, amigo-
    I've never used straps of any sort for shrugs (or anything else). What's the difference wearing them vs not wearing them?:confused: Grazi, and feel well soon!