Steve Morris says all forms of Karate are useless

Discussion in 'Karate' started by ronki23, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Clobbersaurus

Clobbersaurus Valued Member

Morris just dresses his "stuff" up in overcomplicated pseudo science in an effort to appear more knowledgable that he actually is. He overcomplicates something (fighing and fight training) which really isn't that complicated.

I wouldn't mind, but it's not like he's even a good teacher. The only people who seem to benefit from his approach are people who were "hard" before they ever went to him. He has pretty much said this himself.

I am not saying he isn't tough. obviously he is. Just that his claims are nonsense.

As far as me not having met him, I don't need to have met him. There is more than enough material on the net to get an accurate impression of him as a person, and in terms of what he advocates. I wouldn't want to meet him anyway. He's clearly a rude, ingracious individual.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  2. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

If it wasn't acceptable to start a new sentence w/the word "and" I would never do so.

As stated at Merriam-Webster we've been doing this at least since the 9th century.

Is it Ever Okay to Start a Sentence With 'And'?

Of course the importance of proper capitalization should never be ignored.Except of course by "artsy" writers and poets.

3. Son of Putrid

Son of Putrid New Member

I took a look at his Facebook page and things have changed since I last read it several years ago.Karate hardly gets a mention and it seems his new pet hate is Blauer.He has also changed direction and seems to be influenced by the way apes fight and advocates biting and gouging.Considering he claims to teach MMA its hard to see where this "chimp style" fits in.

4. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Maybe it should be you are.
    As in ....You are the wind beneath my wings.

5. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

So what does he actually say about these subjects?
    Post it with links.

Your just adding arms and legs , as the saying goes.
    This thread is a great example of reframing, and not in a positive way.
    An example being that Steve apparently said all his students would win in the UFC. Actually he said it about one guy.
    It’s still something a lot won’t agree on, but there’s a big difference.

People would not agree on all sorts of his views on these subjects he mentions, but it’s not just random and there is a reason for his views and often evidence if needed, to back up what he says.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The only wind I was putting forth was after 10 pints of traditional ale last night....and nobody wants that

ned likes this.
  7. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Haha.
    There’s hardly any material of yours on the internet and already your calling guys you haven’t met nutcases and idiots.
    Great. Thumbs up.
    Another guy who, on a forum, tried to claim Steve had mental issues, was Harry Cook.
    Read Steve’s response here.

The Case of Harry Cook, and Abuses by Authority Figures

The funny thing is I’d love to meet you and look you in the eye as you call me an idiot...or anyone for that matter who wants to get personal over the internet. Get together and hold each other’s hands if you like.Then you get to see if they like little boys who stand over the road shouting insults, like they appear to be , and then run off. Or genuinely say this kind of thing to people they don’t know, in every day life. Which I doubt as if guys are doing that or trying to intimidate in real life, over different views on things, then people probably thing they are a tool.

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Matt, ease up on the aggressive posting.

We are about discussion, not playground challenges.

aaradia, Dead_pool and bassai like this.
  9. Clobbersaurus

Matt F

So now you are getting all het up and ready to get all aggressive with me over a discussion on the internet about Steve Morris? All ready to defend his honour?? Is he your dad or something?

Now you're even comparing me to Harry Cook???? Oh my word.

You need to grow up mate.

Try answering some of the points I have made rather than engaging in all this childish macho posturing. It's not impressive and just reinforces the point I made some while ago that people who side with Morris are just (personal attack removed).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2018
  10. Clobbersaurus

I retract my apology by the way.

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Really?

I suppose your dad is bigger than his dad?

C'mon guys. you can do better than that.

ned, axelb and David Harrison like this.
  12. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I think Steve has it pretty spot-on regarding some people in TMA's:

Knee Rider likes this.
  13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Edit, no its not Steve's blog, but he is quoted in it, Nevermind.

14. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod Note: It is a shame that you retracted your apology Clobbersaurus. And that you threw in the term again. It is clear who you directed it at the second time. Now you need to be reminded that personal attacks are against our terms of service. Do not do it again.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    axelb likes this.
  15. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

You're blurring the line between the question "is it necessary?" and "is it beneficial?" Those are two totally different questions. Certainly, the fact that many competitive MMA fighters have never done any forms training, and are still very good fighters, shows that it's not necessary. But that doesn't mean that there's no benefit to the training.

Analogy 1: Not all athletes use kettlebells. Not all athletes use agility ladders. Does that mean that kettlebell exercises and agility ladder drills have no benefit for athletics? No.

Analogy 2: Drinking milk is not necessary for having strong bones. There are other dietary sources of calcium. Does that mean that milk is not helpful in building strong bones? Different question.

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yes but it's not beneficial enough to justify doing it every day, or even some days. Or at all. The closest comparison you could make to kata is shadow boxing and even then, shadow boxing is more beneficial.

To fight in MMA the only thing that is "necessary" is to weigh in and step into the cage. Kata just doesn't justify it's wn existence except perhaps in stick fighting arts, form competitions, and Tai Chi.

I will re-word my opinion.

"If it was BENEFICIAL enough, MMA fighters would be doing it regularly".

Van Zandt and David Harrison like this.
  17. David Harrison

I hope you don't mind, but I think we can make that more specific:

"If kata conferred any measurable advantage to fighting, all professional fighters would be doing it."

18. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

You're assuming that just because something is not hour-for-hour the best thing you can be doing if you're a professional fighter in excellent physical shape with training staff and training partners available all week long...that it's also not a pragmatic choice for a middle-aged person who may not be a natural athlete, only has three or four hours per week of in-class time with instructors and partners, where all/any other training time is solo training.

I don't think you can make that jump.

I think forms training is very useful in terms of developing body syncronization, balance, coordination, etc...assets that people who are natural athletes in their prime may already have sufficiently developed when they first walk in the gym door, but "the rest of us" may need to consciously cultivate.

Forms training is also very useful because you can get 20 minutes of forms instruction per week and train alone at 10pm each night after your kids are asleep without waking everyone in the house back up. This is not a concern that even factors into a professional fighter's analysis of what's good for them.

Forms training is very non-harmful to the body. If you take your average 42-year-old white-collar professional and have them just jump into the training curriculum of Conor McGregor, in a week they'll be so injured that they won't be able to train again for a year. Having forms practice allows them to progressively increase their weekly commitment to martial arts without the injuries they'd suffer if all that time was spent on hard padwork, hard sparring, and Crossfit-style all-out conditioning.

Forms training is also, in my subjective opinion, fun and challenging. It gives me something to focus on in development of coordination and precision that I can really visually measure from one year to the next. And if it helps motivate people to keep coming back year after year, it helps in their overall martial development. This is not a factor at all in a professional fighter's three-year professional career, but can really matter for your amateur martial artist's commitment to their thirty-year hobby.

19. David Harrison

I think you are equally guilty of assumptions here.

Plenty of people who train in combat sports, or other martial arts that do not have set forms or kata, are not natural athletes in their prime, and they aren't left behind because of a lack of kata. Also, just because intensity may vary, that does not follow that the same principles used for professional fighters cannot also work for a middle-aged potato.

The argument of solo training is often brought up in defence of kata, but to be honest I see that argument as a lack of imagination and/or instruction. People who don't practice rote sequences also have plenty to do while the kids are sleeping.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    axelb likes this.
  20. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I'm not saying anybody is being "left behind" without kata. That's not my argument AT ALL. Once again, you're confusing necessary with beneficial. I'm saying kata training can be beneficial to some people in improving their fighting ability, but I'm not saying it's a necessary part of being a good fighter.

You can be totally healthy without ever eating zucchini. And in fact, bite-for-bite, broccoli and spinach is probably more nutrient-rich. You can have an extremely healthy diet without ever eating a single zucchini. That doesn't mean that there's anything unhealthy about a diet that includes zucchini as part of its weekly rotation of vegetables, and that doesn't mean that zucchini lacks all nutritional value. And it doesn't mean that you're making dinner wrong if you enjoy zucchini and include it in your weekly rotation of meals.

You can have excellent cardio without ever using a stationary cardio machine like a stationary bike or an elliptical or a rowing machine. Minute-for-minute, running sprints is more intense than a machine. Any plenty of awesome athletes never use them at all. That doesn't mean that there's no cardio benefit to riding a stationary bike, or that you're doing fitness wrong if you enjoy riding a stationary bike and include it as part of your weekly physical conditioning.