Steve Morris says all forms of Karate are useless

Discussion in 'Karate' started by ronki23, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

Well yes, if you are simply researching, but bunkai could be used in either one.
    A straight punch is a straight punch, regardless of where it comes from. As is a front kick.

Bunkai is simply a combination of techniques (strikes, throws, etc.) You can use only one move from bunkai or a few. These strike patterns are not set in stone.

2. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

Curious, who here has fought in the UFC, it sounds as if a few are speaking from personal experience and it would afford me an experienced opinion concerning MMA, if that is what was used.

3. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

Curious, who here has fought in the UFC, it sounds as if a few are speaking from personal experience and it would afford me an experienced opinion concerning MMA, if that is what was used.

4. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

Well that would be competition, I would be required to train according to the rulesets. But yes, there would be some kata training, it helps to maintain focus.

Would I use the Kata, no, would I use the individual technique from the kata, if it is allowed under the ruleset, yes. I would use what I could and would train accordingly.

But I would have to train according to the 'minimal' rulesets, if I want to win, its competition. If there are rules, regardless how minimal it is competition.

If I went outside those rulesets and defeated my opponent, would I be the winner, or would I be the loser?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You missed the other point which was minimal rule set. Conor McGregor wins in a no rules fight and an MMA fight.

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

You don't know that.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

In 100 MMA matches between Conor Mc and Mayweather I would bet on a Conor win every single time.
    He wouldn't win all 100...a puncher's chance is still a thing...but if you bet on Conor you'd be quids in overall.

Dead_pool likes this.
  8. Pretty In Pink

I mean, I don't know that in the sense that it is not a pre-determined outcome but because Conor McGregor can grapple and shoot for a takedown and Mayweather can't.... I'd be strongly inclined to bet on Conor. As in like he would be a betting favourite by about 1/100.

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Conor got those karate angles.

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. Grond

Grond Valued Member

In my head? Many, many times, as a boxer and karateka with no grappling training to speak of. I know my limitations in a random fight, but honestly the only reason I feel any confidence if that were to happen is I've boxed a lot, not because I know some karate. To me karate is just another name for boxing a certain way. And there are many karateka who are as swift and agile and powerful as any UFC competitor. Occasionally, they even compete in UFC. So I still don't get the "sport artist" vs. "street artist" thing.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  11. Pretty In Pink

None of us have fought in the UFC at the highest levels. I have fought MMA before. It's not easy.

axelb, Dead_pool and icefield like this.
  12. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Bunkai is a short combination contained within a form, I get that. What I didn't like about kata-and-bunkai-focused Shotokan training I did for a few years is that I personally didn't feel that the program I was part of had a great way of pressure-testing the bunkai we came up with, or learning to actually successfully apply them against a resisting opponent in an unscripted situation.

I don't bring up this concern every single time someone says that they enjoy kata and bunkai training. I'm not in the business of judging other people's pasttimes most of the time. It is, however, a concern I raised when people start claiming that it's the most effective way of learning to fight and condemning or belittling other people's approaches to martial arts, particularly those approaches that have an indisputable track record of turning out very competent fighters.

13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

No UFC fighter would be caught posting here they have more important things to do, but many here have fought amateur or pro rules MMA PIP probably has the most experience there, and a number of us regularly train at gyms which produce UFC fighters including title contenders.

In that regard we know how athletically gifted they are, how skillful and tough they are,

Also some of us are old enough to have been in MMA gyms when old school challenges went down with minimal rules between coaches and TMA practitioners and can tell you thay challenging a fighter when you yourself haven't had a lot of full contact experience isn't the best thing to do.

neither is relying on techniques that are usually not allowed in an MMA fight because now both you and the MMA fighter can use them and 9/10 times the MMA fighter is the one in the position to break the knee, take out an eye and so on.

Fish Of Doom, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Lol at thinking any of us might be one of the few hundred people that have fought in the ufc. )

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've rolled with Conor Mc's coach John Kavanagh (didn't go well...for me) and trained at a seminar with Iain Freeman (like being held down by a sentient wardrobe).
    People who are good can really feel on another level if you're an average schlubb.

World class athletes competing against other world class athletes can sometimes give a false impression of how good they are because they sort of nullify each other.

Grond, axelb, Dead_pool and 1 other person like this.
  16. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I was lucky enough to compete against bisping years ago, and help prepare the likes of hardy, Semtex, Osipczak when they came over to shoot fighters for fight prep.

I also spent years in the same class as wallhead and winner before they both fought in the UFC watching them destroy people in local comps and even national events.

Technically I could hold my own with most of them grappling wise, I'd never want to actually fight any of them in or out the cage with strikes, what people don't realise is the athletic ability those at the top have and more importantly the hard nasty streak you have to have in order to physically want to dominate and destroy an opponent at that level.

Grond, axelb, Mitlov and 3 others like this.
  17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Us average schlubbs aren't equally average. :D

Grond, axelb, bassai and 1 other person like this.
  18. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I was due to enter the UFC, but at the last minute they changed the rule about using a magical staff in the Octagon. I thought that was very unsporting of them and no way to treat the Keeper of the Peach Garden of Immortality.

Grond, axelb, Dead_pool and 1 other person like this.
  19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah I was going to enter the UFC but I can only win fights by biting, eye gouging or groin kicks so my techniques are outlawed.
    I mean...I do an art that also does kicks, blocks, punches, elbows, knees, takedowns and throws but for some reason I forget about them when people point out my art doesn't produce functional fighters.

Grond, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  20. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I heard you tried on the gloves.... But they were just "too tight,too tight!!!

Grond and Monkey_Magic like this.