Steve Babbs Lau Gar Kickboxing champion

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Stevebabbs, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Stevebabbs

Stevebabbs New Member

:p

2. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Steve was someone I looked up to when I was 16 and got into Lau Gar in Darlington,Steve was a brilliant Fighter and Martial Artist,I watched him on the Full Contact mats to where he could do the business the same as he did in semi contact,I still havent seen many people with better attributes than Steve and Frank Lynch:)

3. ned

ned Valued Member

Think he was a contemporary of my first instructor Clive Parkinson,who was
    another very successful lau gar fighter from that period.

4. Stevebabbs

Stevebabbs New Member

Steve babbs

Hi thanks Fire Cobra,
    If you have any other memories or if your MA mates can recall Steve perhaps you could let me know?
    Recently Steve has caught up with Steve Taberner ' the Wigan Hammer ' and has arranged to catch up shortly with Deadly Dicker so hopefully more will come to light.
    Thanks and Cheers
    Phil

5. Stevebabbs

Stevebabbs New Member

Steve Babbs

Thanks Ned - Perhaps Clive has some memories of Steve if your still in contact.
    Cheers.
    Phil

6. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

I remember Steve doing a Martial Arts Demo at our local nightclub I think it was the night Heatwave played live there so it was the 1970s,Steve came on in a yellow/black game of death cat suit and as I remember showed his great kicking ability and nunchakus the demo was awesome and the crowd went mad,great days great role model for me at that age:)

7. Stevebabbs

Stevebabbs New Member

Steve Babbs

Hi Fire Cobra - excellent thanks - Steve is well pleased with having responses to the blog.
    Will keep you updated.
    Cheers.
    Phil

8. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Thanks Steve,I hope Steve is in good health and is still kicking:)

9. Stevebabbs

Stevebabbs New Member

Steve Babbs

Hi Fire Cobra,
    Thanks for enquiring about Steves' Health.
    Yes Steve is alive and kicking!!
    Unfortunately over the past couple of years Steve has had kidney problems, had a twin transplant two years ago and is now thankfully on the mend.
    Still wouldn't want to face him in the ring mind!!
    Cheers.
    Phil

10. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Hi Phil,sorry to hear Steve has had health probs but glad to hear he is on the mend,he wont remember me but please send him my best wishes from Dalington,oh and ask him if he remembers Albert Maloney now there was a tough man:)

11. Stevebabbs

Stevebabbs New Member

Steve Babbs

Hi Fire Cobra,
    Steve is sitting alongside me now and sends you his regards.
    Yes, he certainly remembers Albert Maloney very well.
    He trained Steve in Taikwondo and Steve reckons Albert had hands like sledge hammers and used to break house bricks for fun - a dangerous man - an expert demolition man!! Steve considers him one of the best instructors that ever taught him - He says when you did an hour session with Albert you knew you'd done one of the hardest training sessions possible!!
    Steve was wondering if you knew how Albert was killed? and is know wondering if he'd have known you if you were training in the 70's when he was based in Catterick??
    Cheers
    Phil

12. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Hi Phil thats nice tell Steve thanks please.
    I started training in Lau Gar in Darlington with Robert Ting around 1975 and stayed for around 3 years then went into Tae Kwon Do with Albert for another 3 years or so,If Albert hadnt left Id still be training with him I think as he was everything that Steve saud he was,a very nice honest man who was as hard as they come:) I heard he was killed fighting for a cause in the Carribean when where exactly Im unsure,I sure wish I had trained with Steve as he was the man back then super skills in all areas:)

13. Stevebabbs

Stevebabbs New Member

Steve Babbs

Hi Fire Cobra,
    In the office and Steve has got me in a strangle hold - told him I wouldn't convey your last sentence as it would only make his head swell - he's refusing to let go - Any ideas?? Lol

14. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Lol Phil !d say run but Steve would only catch you :)

15. Stevebabbs

Stevebabbs New Member

Steve Babbs

I'm now on Facebook too

16. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Steve you replied to my freind request yesterday and I posted on your FB page:)

17. Stevebabbs

Stevebabbs New Member

Steve Babbs

Hi Fire cobra - Phil only set up on Friday and as you can see been inundated!! Perhaps you can make it known referring to this site and we can keep in touch - kind regards Steve

18. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Will do Steve thank you sir:)