Steroids and early MMA

Discussion in 'MMA' started by ShadowHawk, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Anabolic steriods are legal in most countries, when prescribed under a Dr whos treating you,
    they mostly not used due to the large amount of numpties abusing them (not monitored by a registered Dr. and therefore very unsafe for you) and the actual conditions they treat come from a very small list.

2. Da Lurker

Da Lurker Valued Member

funny thing though about PED: it grants you physical benefits for the present, while lowering your genetic potential in the future. natural selection at it's best.

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

whaaat...

how does one lower genetic potential...

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I'll take a stab that messing with your ability to produce testosterone does damage your potential. I appreciate that's not necessarily genetics per se, but I would think it is an important factor in natural athletic ability.

5. Mangosteen

its still not affecting genetics (or genetic potential) specifically, just gene expression (and protein production).

natural potential would be a better term or proteomic potential

yeah im being pedantic but it matters

6. Dead_pool

you switch off your own T levels, which impacts your future health and your ability to procreate later on (i.e genetic potential from a darwinian viewpoint) without extra 'help' it also means your potential partners come from the shallow end of the gene pool (see kerry katonia)

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

This is the reason I don't talk H+F with friends who've done courses.

8. Mangosteen

i understand what you're saying but it doesnt affect your actual genetics unless it has some sort of mutagenic effect (unproven) that actually changes your genetics.

it doesnt lower your genetic potential but long term usage may affect your ability to later reach your genetic potential

im just being pedantic :p

9. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

When I read that post I actually thought he was talking about passing on genetic material via offspring due to him mentioning natural selection. If you lower your Tlevels then I presume it may effect your fertility thus not passing on genetics.

Edit: saw your post about being pedantic

10. Dead_pool

You may be a pendant, but your reading comprehension is definatly Scottish, ;)
    I think were both using diffferent definitions of potential, mine being producing offspring and/or attracting a mate, i think yours may be increasing your PBs.

I'll dig out the studies later, but short to medium term abuse has a negative effect too.

but that might be a self selection bias effect.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  11. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

all drugs have risks associated with them, no?

12. Dead_pool

and those risks are minimised when treating medical conditions under the care of a medical doctor adhering to best practise / evidence based practise.

which is why theres a difference between use and abuse.