status and how a keris is worn?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Narrue, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

I was wondering if there was a link between how the keris is worn and social status e.g. how high up on the back etc etc

Attached Files:

2. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Attached Files:

3. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Attached Files:

4. Abdullah1881

Abdullah1881 New Member

interesting question. Can anyone tell me why the malays wear the keris on the left and why the javanese wear it at the back? or if there is a difference?

i heard the kris is regarded as a spiritual weapon, surely there must be deeper spiritual reasons behind such a tradition?

5. tellner

tellner Valued Member

My Silat teacher says that his uncle (part Minangkabau) wore his in front with the hilt pointing up and to the right.

6. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

sounds like the standard position for a belt worn weapon. Easiest and fastest place to draw from, as a right hander. Its akin to wearing a pistol on your right hip.

7. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

8. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Interesting to see that the Keris Is judged on nine categories, appropriate number for a keris ;) However some of those catogroys sound the same to me for example WESI & WOJO, GUWOYO & WANGUN.

WUTUH Wholeness, completeness of the blade
    WESI The metal of the blade
    GARAP Workmanship
    SEPUH Age of the blade, the older the more valuable
    PAMOR The Damascening
    WOJO The "steel" cutting edge
    GUWOYO Appearance
    WANGUN Elegance
    MUNGGUH Appropriateness

I wonder if it’s more traditional (ancient) to wear a keris on the back then on the side? Why is there that cultural difference and what’s the symbolism behind it?

9. jameskorst

jameskorst New Member

combat type keris and symbolic type..

salams,

this is my opinion.. may be the Malays put it in front because its part of their regalia n also act as a weapon.. the Java didnt use keris as their weapon in war, mayb the keris only act as a talisman o protector n their personal reagalia.. i also heard that, peninsular keris is crafted to bcome a weapon, different to kerises of java that mainly act as a family heirloom full with gold embedded on it.. it just an opinion though.. correct me if im wrong.

10. RAMANA1

RAMANA1 New Member

keris

i beleive pendekar sanders has a book out on keris,you can also get training material from him on subject..fighting with keris etc... :Angel:

11. RAMANA1

RAMANA1 New Member

:Angel: yes -you can retreive info from pukulan cimande pusaka,pendekar sanders website on keris...few people in usa have done as much training with keris as pendekar--check him and his organization out..despite all the craziness in the silat community,hes truly a down to earth good guy....

12. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

The Balinese wear the keris on the back and Balinese keris contain the most elaborate decoration and largest amount of gold and gems. Here is an example of a Balinese keris handle. NICE ;)

Attached Files:

13. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Attached Files:

14. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Dude. You're not supposed to post pr0n on this board :)

15. Tuankaki

Tuankaki Valued Member

In a system I studied once, certain movements suggested that it was drawn from the small of the back. The pretty ones should be worn prominently at weddings though. Just a personal opinion....

16. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

I think so too.

17. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Does the blade in question need to be a keris?

Or could the movement have been equally geared towards a golok? Or kujang?

18. silatkali75

silatkali75 New Member

new to the site.

just wanna say hi to everyone, about the topic,not sure. I will ask tonite in class.

19. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

There might be a reason why the back should be reserved for holding the keris!

20. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Good point, aside from any symbolic reasons, on a practical level a kris worn at the side would simply get in the way.

This would certainly be apparent when stepping back with some langkas. It would be entirely impractical in some 'lower' styles.

Just a thought :)