Starting your own Dojang Pointers PLEASE

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Hapkido Student, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Hapkido Student

Hapkido Student New Member

Even tho i am only 17 and i only been into hapkido for about 4 months id really like to take my martial arts lifestyle further then just learning and appreciating the art i would love to start my own dojang in the future as in few years -10 years like how much capitol i should have and is there ways to get small buisness loans and should i buy the area or should i rent any1 who has any expirience or advise for me please help my master says if i dont give up hell keep watching me and to never give up my dreams will come true as long as i dont give up and i also took judo for a few years as well im acceling(spelling?) well im getting and learning very fast im very smart when it comes to buisness and im currently taking a bunch of courses in buisness and i would really appreciate some positive and negitive feedback thanks in advance and right now even tho i am only a beginner i am currently practicing at home and i just spent about 700.00 dollars on my room my room is completely empty on the inside except i have the korean flag and the american flag and i have bought the dojang martial arts flooring which covers the whole room i have kicking pads dummies training gear and protection and i always every day have friends come over who are in my hapkido class and others who take martial arts and i train with them im very hyper and i am always training so im excelling faster then most of the people in my class whith my forms and everything i also have rip cords which i love can some1 please give me some feedback and even email me or something thank you all in advance im glad i found this site and i wish to continue helping and reciving help from you all and making friends here thanks everyone

2. Hapkido Student

And..

and if anyone started their own dojang please feel free to tell us how u did it and im also good with the nunchaku ill give u all a video when im done

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

For a person who is serious about martial arts and who is looking to someday set up his/her own school, 17 isn't a bad age to start thinking about it. Here's a few things I would recommend:

(1) Keep a journal on how your instructor runs classes and operates the business side. Ask questions about various situations and write down the advice. Assist your instructor as much as you can and try to become his/her "apprentice" to help groom you into becoming a greta instructor

(2) Train hard and work towards "mastering" one style. Expect that in 10 years you may not have learned enough or be high enough ranked to open your own school.

(3) Get around and visit other schools and see what they do, what works for them, and what doesn't work for them. Begin building contacts with the area martial artists and learn from them as well.

(4) Get educated on teaching skills and business skills, especially if you are thinking about going to college

4. Hapkido Student

Thomas

Thomas..Thank you very much you are a very smart man in martial arts i always see ur name everywhere and i appreciate you taking time out of your schedule to help me out i appreciate it greatly ive also done some of what u said ive helped my instructor with the little kids and the other students and ive also asked him to help me achieve that goal and he said hed tell me about he got started and help me out i might even try to go into buisness with him hes a great man and works weelll with everyone

5. Ren-shi-shin

Ren-shi-shin New Member

Thomas is giving you great advice. I'd reiterate the taking teaching and business skills at a college... Ultimately, it's a business, and you need to be professional to be able to run it. That means using correct spelling and grammar when writing! People will take you more seriously and you'll get more help if you use correct punctuation! Your run-on sentence is very difficult to read!

6. mike-IHF

mike-IHF Valued Member

Hapkido Student,

I replied to one of your other post, and I was asking you if you go to the Um's martial arts school in Annandale VA? I'm an instructor with the IHF, and about a month ago I stopped by one night and worked out with you guys. I did not meet with anyone other than the instructor, so I did not meet any of the students. But I might have seen you when I was there. If it is not the same school, disregard this post. Thanks.

7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

The first lesson:

Making one long post with no capitalization, leetspeak, no punctuation, and free-flowing thoughts will not get you a loan.

Tips I'd give:

1. Go to college and neaten up your verbal and written communication skills.
    2. Take as many business courses as you can: accounting, business law, etc. If you want to run a business, you need to be familiar with the laws, how to balaance books, etc.
    3. I definitely recommend first aid training and certification or sports science as a background as well.
    4. Take a few education classes, just to learn something.
    5. Get your black belt and higher. Don't get 1st Dan then run out and open your new school. Train past that. Ask to assist your instructor. Watch your instructor. Teaching isn't as easy as it seems, there's a lot more to it than just showing a few techniques.

8. Hapkido Student

Excellent

Yeah thats the one its over by Little River Turnpike, its underneath the mattress shop thats in the shopping centre. Thats cool Hmm..Do you know which day it was?

9. Hapkido Student

Thanks

Thanks Ren and Bai. Im sorry about the punctuation its maily because im so used to typing like that even though i dont write like that. Ill start to change up on it thought and thank you and everyone that posted I appreciate your help. :)

10. mike-IHF

mike-IHF Valued Member

Hapkido Student,

I don't remember exactly what night it was. It was about a month ago, I think it might have been a Tuesday, or Thursday. But, anytime you want to stop by and train with us feel free. I'm at Providence rec center right off Annandale road. Right now classes are Mon.-Fri. nights from 6:30-8:30. Take care.

11. Hapkido Student

Excellent

Excellent, I might try that out. I think that it was our dojang that you visited becuase thats the night's we do our hapkido classe's. That's excellent man. :cool: