Starting Wing Chun, any advice?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rakim, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

Hi ppl, I'm gonna start Wing Chun in a few weeks time, I'm looking forward to it, I'm just not quite sure what to expect. Ive done a bit of Ju-Jitsu and Judo but I really didn't like the styles. From what I've seen, Kung-Fu is what I'm looking for. Any advice?

2. hux

hux ya, whatever.

keep an open mind, remember the fighter makes the difference, not the system...and relax. Have fun.

3. Topher

Topher allo!

My advice... enjoy it ;)

4. Sifu Scotty

Sifu Scotty New Member

Buy a gum shield and a cup.

5. Wax

Wax Valued Member

Don't buy into the politics. :D

Also, when in doubt - Wedge.

6. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Yeah, if you hear slagging off of other systems try to still keep an open mind. Having said that, put your full effort into WC, then eventually you will find out if it's truly for you or not.
    (Also try not to be get put off by the rather wierd stance and form you will do early on, it will get fun, you just have to give it time.)

7. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Most importantly:

Have fun !!! ;)

8. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

Thanks ppl, what do I need the gum shield and the cup for? I thought I started off with "sticky hands" and that stuff. Any more advice? Thanks so far.......

9. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Probably because in chi sao you will end up getting hit in the face at some point.
    It will likely be a while before you do full chi sao though.

As a rough guess (it varies from school to school), you might do something like this:
    First few weeks: Stance, some punching and form.
    First few months: Moving onto the seed techniques in applications (bong, tan, fook), probably some drills, dan chi sao (single sticking hands, not fun, but worth it)
    After that, it will push off into double sticking hands (poon sao) which will take a while to get used to. Probably you will start applying some stuff from drills into chi sao, but importantly focussing on structure and energy.
    There might also be footwork taught (some schools leave it till the second form, which can take a while, others don't).

I've been intentionally vague, because schools can vary drastically in how they approach the system and the student.

Still, have fun. :)

10. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

Brilliant, thanks everyone. At least I feel a bit more prepared now!

11. Alexjediuk

Alexjediuk New Member

One of the best bits of advice for learning any system I think is use some common sence. Look at whats going on around you and think "would this really work with someone who is actually trying to smash you up?" Lots of systems spend loads of time blinding you with science and then when it comes down to it just can't cut it.

There is definately good Wing Chun and very very bad Wing chun. I think a reasonable measure is go and do some amatuer boxing first and then compare 6 months of that against 2 years plus of classical systems. If the wing chun stands up then its a good version and does have a great deal more depth than sport boxing in the long run.

Cyclone Wing Chun, Newcastle. UK.

12. Sifu Scotty

Sifu Scotty New Member

gum shield is always recomended to keep that great smile,a cup is also required to prevent that horrible feeling when you get cracked in the knackers. u will be starting at the beginning and not at the end.Enjoy it and good luck in your training

13. AuHg

AuHg McDojo Happy Meal

wing chun you like it or you dont. sometimes i dont like the stand up straight aspect of wing chun, but it is the only way to execute the technique properly. Shop around...

14. splodge

splodge New Member

Get ready to feel awkward with the stance initially but stick with it and it will make sense. There is a good reason behind everything in Wing Chun and a good instructor should be able to explain why you are doing any particular thing, if he can't and he says 'its just the way we do it in Wing Chun' then walk to the next school....................enjoy it, I have been doing Wing Chun for 12 years and have now got use to the stance lol

15. gazzthewannabe

gazzthewannabe New Member

hey, i did judo first and therefore found wing chun very different, it requires good co-ordination and strong wristes so a good idea is to start playing bass (guitar) build up wriste stregnth and also learn to play some soothing music :)

16. SpinStorm

SpinStorm Valued Member

Im starting Wing Chun soon myself, Thanks for an idea of what the early days might involve :D

17. crysis

crysis Valued Member

wing chun is good stuff. i just started and enjoy it more than other arts ive studied (this is the first art where i'll practice on my own time). I got lucky though, my instructor wants to get me to advance and learn things quickly to where i can help him better himself in wing chun and practice with him. i think at least 70% of why i enjoy this art more than other is because of my instructor. great guy.

18. ilikeitraw

ilikeitraw New Member

Protect your centerline :Angel: