Starting training again

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Hapuka, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I have been off training for about a month and a half now because I tore my ham string. It hasn't quite recovered yet but I feel I'm gona go nuts soon If I keep missing out on training. Are there any tips on how I can get back into training?

I got myself a knee support for my hamstring and a good pair of running shoes (yes I'm going to start running again) I miss running. I'm doing walking at the moment. Any advice would be handy (Yes I have talked to my doctor and he has said I can go back to training when I feel up to it.)

2. tigs

tigs New Member

1. See a good sports physiotherapist.
    2. Start off slowly. Steady, slow progression is far better than damaging yourself again.
    3. See point 1.

3. tigs

tigs New Member

4. Change to a martial art that doesn't rely upon high kicks .... ;)

4. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Take it easy. I would start with 10 minutes of light stretching, 10 minutes of practice, 5 min warm down and 10 minutes light stretching. Don't perpetuate that injury or you'll be sorry!

5. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Since your dr has given you the all clear, I'd just start back on the weights, using a much lighter weight than you used to. Over the weeks, you can build back your squating weight to your original level, and then finally work on improving on it. Do the same with Deadlifts.

Coming back from injury is always a bitch, because you really want to go back to the weight you used before. Control yourself and work really slow, and you'll get much better results in the long run.

For running, I'd go with an easy run/fast walk cycle. For the first week, 60 seconds running/90 seconds walking is good. It gives you a nice 30 min workout, and doesnt tax you too much. Build up the distance, while decreasing the amount of walking over time.

6. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

strech a LOT. and take it easy. NO high kicks for now.

7. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

i actually don't recommend stretching, cause you're pulling the strained muscle and aggrivating it even more. if anything, stretch very lightly and not to the range that you normally stretch to. i would wait until the muscle is fully healed before doing any serious stretching exercises. of course the most important thing for you is to see the physiotherapist. and ya, no high kicks.