Starting To Worry about Brain Trauma

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by Pretty In Pink, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Haha, well I did go to the doctors. They said don't even worry about it. Like unnervingly cool and unworried about it.

2. Stuart Gilham

Stuart Gilham Member

I’m also worried about it, nothing will make you a loser like a damaged brain.

That being said, I’ve been reading about the brains capacity to recover from damage, that’s why it’s good to take a break if in doubt.

The bans the athletic commissions in combat sports bring in actually make sense.

I’m planning on reading more about it, can’t be too careful.

3. Diagen

Diagen Banned Banned

For the brain, progress involves putting in a lot of effort that seems to do nothing then all of a sudden being able to do it. Same with loss of function. This is why people develop methods of thinking about something that uses different parts of the brain and more abstract (distributed and modular) connections. The names of familiar things is so regular and taken for granted you likely have a singular configuration of your mind associated with them, besides inflections of that singular state. The more familiar and stable something is, the more centralized it is. Putting in efforts once that centralized and familiarized territory is "shattered" or disrupted will give you the strength to pull together the pieces that you didn't originally have.
    Stay positive and put in effort. It's part of training. If you can't deal with the injuries then focus your efforts on using your brain more and stop sparring. Using the brain overall should help quite a bit, so study and exercise the mind with seemingly useless but difficult things like counting roof tiles, straining the eyes and counting sand particles until you can get it at a glance (mind-eye skill useful for gauging the number, dimension and location of anything at a glance); other exercises may include written contemplation, attempts at guessing the time and duration of things that you don't put to number often until you are accurate, eating something spicy or have someone punch you in the stomach when trying to balance on something -- as proprioception has much to do with the mind's ability to model reality, and studying western analytic logic and philosophy. Geography and those games where you are shown something and have to remember as much of it as you can before it goes away are very good.
    Most important is being able to familiarize yourself with something though - thus, geography and socializing or socially relevant things are important, but so is percieving and familiarizing yourself with your immediate and common environments. Familiarity has much to do with emotion so you need to use feeling and emotion to process and percieve. Feeling and emotion stirs and mobilizes even in the brain. Your brain is suppose to help you model your experiences and experience of reality so every part of your experience is important for brain function, and for body function of course. Focus on frequency and intensity.

4. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

I have SERIOUS concerns about this as well. As my daughter started off with a very promising career in wrestling, enjoyed boxing and was hoping to be a fighter. Then a girl who outweighed her by about 65 lbs when she was about 110 slammed her head into the mat. She got a severe concussion.

Now what bothered me was, my son had a concussion maybe six months prior. And the medical science approach somehow DRASTICALLY changed in that brief amount of time. As the instructions they gave my son were no screen time, no homework. Take it totally easy until symptoms pass.

Same clinic, different doctor. They tell my daughter Screen time is fine. Homework is fine. And they had all this exercise they wanted her to do. As apparently the new strategy is the total polar opposite of what it was when my son got his concussion. (And totally recovered...with no symptoms.)

The doctors explained to me that the NEW strategy was to do things to try and encourage my daughter to have her symptoms a bit at a time to try and like desensitize her to it? And slowly raise that threshold.

So after about three months, she was "cleared" but was never the same. And then out of nowhere developed juvenile fibromyalgia, a chronic sleep disorder, still has brain fog, still gets dizzy when standing up, and still has concussion symptoms now a couple of years later. Including issues picking words when speaking. I am starting to strongly feel that the concussion doctors are basically using people as guinea pigs. And that when it comes to this they have no damn clue what they are really doing. This situation has utterly ruined her life. Never mind the end of her sports career, now we are wondering if she can have anything resembling a normal life.