Starting a private Dojo

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Nettey04, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Nettey04

Nettey04 Valued Member

I need a little help with some ideas about starting a private dojo. Right now I study with an instructor and 2 other student. We workout at the gym where I work. We have a little open space and are thinking about moving to my garage. How many of you have a private studio out of your house? How many students do you have and how many classes do you teach? I have some bags sheilds and tragets. What are some things you find you can not do with out at your dojo? Right now I am trying to come up with a cheap (low cost) padded floor does any one have any good ideas? I thank any and all of you how take the time to read and responed to my post. Thank you again and have a great day.

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Well . . .

If you are doing judo, you will probably want good quality mats. Currently, no puzzle mats are approved by the olympic commision/IJF (international judo federation). Take that as you will.

Puzzle mats are probably a good cheap solution.

Wrestling or judo mats are probably the best solution, but will be much more expensive. If I could choose, I would put down puzzle mats, then buy some judo/wrestling mats to go over that for throwing practice (this is what we have at my MMA school).

I have no experience with this stuff, so can't recommend any brands.

3. Nettey04

Nettey04 Valued Member

Thanks Yohan. We will be doing a TKD,Jiu-Jitsu,and Kickboxing blend with TKD being the foundation and eventually we will be adding Judo.

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

What a great opportunity, we should always support others wanting to spread the word about martial arts. Check online, you can find some great used mats for a good price.

5. GeeMac

GeeMac Valued Member

Insurance! Your homeowners may cover accidental injury to students, I know mine did even when I taught at another location than my home, but a claim against you could drive your homeowners premium up or lose your insurance entirely. Don't rely on injury waiver forms, either. They don't hold much weight in the case of a claim against you. Otherwise, good luck on your endeavor. I taught for 25 years and enjoyed it tremendously. :)

6. Nettey04

Nettey04 Valued Member

Kwajman and GeeMac thank you both for your input.