Starting a HEMA club, advice?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by idols11, Jan 27, 2016.

1. idols11

idols11 Valued Member

Im going to start a HEMA club and wondered if anyone could give me some advice about training methods and being an an instructor.

I am going to focus on dagger, boxing and wrestling as I'm interested in SD and these can be trained without investing in masks and swords. I have lots of historical manuals saved on my PC for reference.

I have trained in MMA, Judo and about less than six months Krav and Ninjutsu. I reckon I should have enough knowledge to teach boxing and wrestling. There is also an established instructor who can come down sometimes to give a dagger seminar, so I can learn from him.

My questions are about training, I would like to use Matt Thorntons I-method .It always seemed the best approach to alive training. I plan to train as alive as possible. And I wonder if anyone could give me any advice about using this method.

Also any tips about instructing or HEMA in general would be welcome.

Thanks

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Are you a qualified Instructor in ANY of those disciplines?

If no, don't instruct

Are you qualified in Boxing or Wrestling?

If no you don't get to teach them either

Have you ever done any HEMA with an organised group?

If no, guess what?

Are you insured?

You know where this is going......

3. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

What Hannibal said.

And out of personal interest...what ninjutsu did you study, where, with who, what grade?

And what do you feel your prior experience brings to HEMA?

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

You want to teach an art you've never trained in?

5. Ben Gash CLF

I want to teach Aeronautical engineering. I've done car and bicycle repair, and I've done 6 months of submarine maintenance. I've got lots of manuals at home and some YouTube videos. Any advice?

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

In fairness, no living person can really be said to have trained those arts.

But of course some are more qualified to give their best guess.

7. Ben Gash CLF

However those more qualified people didn't just decide one day to teach HEMA, they got together with like minded people and trained together for years first.

8. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Having a qualification doesn't make you a good instructor. In all essence it's just a piece of paper. A tick the boxes exercise. There are terrible instructors out there, who are somehow qualified to the eyeballs, that should not be peddling their crap.

Knowledge, & knowing how to teach what they are teaching, are the most important things a teacher should have. Something you generally don't get from an instructor qualification (in my experience anyway).

Insurance is important too, though the chance of successful claims isn't that high if you write out your PAR-Q well and cover all bases. It's all about risk assessment and ticking boxes in a cover your own **** world more than actually being able to teach. Lol.

9. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I agree that having being qualified doesn't automatically make you a good instructor, but it certainly is a prerequisite before one even should attempt to start teaching.

Being good at teaching doesn't make one able to teach something if you don't know enough about the subject you want to teach.

I have a reputation for being one of the best trainers in my workplace - workplace meaning the 36 or so Branches of my workplace. And honestly, I think I deserve that reputation. (Forgive my lack of humbleness.) Being a good trainer/ teacher in my work skills does not make me qualified to teach guitar, as I am not a guitarist. Nor a drummer. Yes I played as a teenager, but not nearly long enough to teach.

I believe this is what Hannibal and others here are talking about. They aren't guaranteeing skill in teaching, but saying one has to start with qualifications (i.e. knowledge and skills) first.

You mention knowledge as important and I think saying qualified is a different way of saying the same thing.

It sounds to me like you are mixing up the ideas of qualified and certified. Especially when you reference a piece of paper. Am I mistaken?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

To the op,
    1) what experience in HEMA do you have?
    2) what experience in teaching do you have?
    3) what experience in MMA and Judo do you have?
    4) HEMA isn't really about SD as a focus, so why HEMA?

11. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Yes, they can. No-one can claim to have trained in an unbroken lineage leading directly back to, say, Fiore, but there has been a growing movement for some time of individuals who have studied other disciplines of swordwork and made it their life's goal to interpret the old training manuals, recombining them into very close approximations of their original forms. As such, if you want to teach Italian longsword (I keep using this as my example because what I'm focusing more on at present), you have two options:

• Try to reinvent the art from the historical documents, or
    • Learn within a group that has already spent years analysing the material from a framework of other martial arts knowledge and has tested it in great detail through drilling, sparring and competition
    I'd be interested to hear why the OP has elected for the former, especially if the goal is to teach these arts. After all, training in MMA won't necessarily teach many historical wrestling tactics (though obviously there will be a lot of similarities, presumably the focus will be on close range grappling with armed combatants, otherwise you might as well teach modern wrestling). It also won't teach historic boxing, which likely differs a reasonable amount from sport boxing (and in fact probably contained more wrestling moves). Nothing on the list will teach historic dagger fighting, which again will focus on using the dagger (probably a rondel dagger) to pierce armour if HEMA is the goal - if it's more about unarmoured opponents then I can't see why you'd call it HEMA rather than going for, say, one of the FMAs.

I'd also strongly suggest to the OP that if good dagger fighting is something you want to learn (or eventually teach) then masks, gloves and groin guards would be an excellent starting point for pressure testing, especially if you live in a litigious society. After all, there are a lot of strikes to the neck and eyes in HEMA dagger fighting, and if you're using even a semi-rigid training weapon for pressure testing (anything else will likely break quickly) then head protection is a must.

Why not teach the arts you have the experience to teach already and learn HEMA from the guy you want to get in periodically?

12. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

As former captain of my school's fencing team, I'm the proud owner of an actual unbroken HEMA lineage. Hell, one of my old coaches actually carried a sword into battle.

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

That's bad-ass.

14. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Oh by Thor's bollocks.

No

No

No.

Get thee to a dojo and get some substantial training done and stop trying to play silly buggers.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

If you have to go on a fairly anonymous martial art board to ask these pretty fundamental questions then you have no business opening a club.
    All of this should be answerable by talking to your instructors in the arts you wish to teach and drawing on your own experience in learning these arts.
    If you don't have instructors in the arts and experience in learning them then you are YEARS away from being able to open a club.
    Finding some instructors and actually learning some arts will answer many of the questions you've asked.

16. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

In this country, being qualified and being certified pretty much go hand in hand. In order to get insured you need that certification, or someone to vouch for you, for alot of companies to insure you.

I always said I would never teach Kickboxing until I had fought, regardless of my grade. I also know first hand that being a black belt or a qualified Instructor doesn't make you a good teacher. I've experienced that first hand too. I've seen shockingly bad black belts and instructors at clubs I've visited while being a much lower level on 'paper'.

For all the qualifications and paperwork nothing beats experience. If someone's been training for several years, had credible fights, etc, knows what they're talking about, and is dynamite, I'll take that over the one year instructor handouts any day.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah there's no magic bullet that guarantees good teaching but IMHO some years of solid training with a reputable club/association and a basic level instructor qualification is the least you should have. It's not like such things are hard to get.
    Getting some questions answered on a forum (no matter how good the answers) doesn't cut it.

Note this thread is not the same as a decently qualified beginning instructor with a new club asking for advice from people with more experience or asking for some different angles on what they are already doing.

18. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

One of the best indicators of martial arts is word of mouth. Like if you are recommended a place unanimously from different sources then it's a good place to be. If I was looking for judo I'd post up a few places and MAP would give me the best options/advice.

19. idols11

idols11 Valued Member

I have taken onboard everyones comments and am going to have a rethink about this.

20. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

No, they can't.

To say they can is entirely nonsensical, as you've now elevated HEMA to the status of a primary source, which becomes a logical ouroboros whereby HEMA need only study itself.

HEMA is, at its heart, an academic exercise, predominantly pursued by enthusiastic amateurs. Any historical investigation is only as good as its sources, and, as no source is perfect, by definition HEMA can never be said to have recreated past fighting disciplines in their entirety. This isn't meant to sound disparaging, as I personally think HEMA is great, but to bandy about statements like "I study the same art as Fiore dei Liberi" is to do a great disservice to genuine historical enquiry. For credibility's sake, as a society of experimental historians and archeologists, HEMA must remain honest and open as to its worth as a source.

This is just putting the part of my post you chose not to quote into different words:

Thinking of HEMA as a "broken lineage" of past arts sounds far too much like the thinking of a martial artist, rather than that of an experimental historian or archaeologist.

The context and intent of HEMA practitioners and historical fighters are entirely different. The moment anyone says "we are practising the same art as those we study", the death knell tolls for advancing our knowledge of the past.