Started No GI BJJ/Wrestling. Hygiene concerns

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by EdiSco, Aug 20, 2019.

1. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

So basically I've just started nogi/Wrestling and am really enjoying it! But since it involves rolling around on floor a lot and getting opponents' sweat all over you, just wondering what the best practices are as regards to hygiene?

apart from Shower straight after the session with teatree oil soap and obviously putting all the kit in the washing machine, is there any clothing I can buy or other precaution I can take against infections etc.?
    I just wear a normal tshirt and MMA shorts with brief underneath - doesn't seem like much protection? Is it possible to catch STDs in BJJ/Nogi?

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I use long sleeve rash guard and rash guard spats/leggings to cover up and lessen the chance of ringworm/impatigo etc.

I also use head and shoulders to shower in as it has a mild antifungal in it.

Wash everything straight away too, don't leave it in the machine for days before washing it.

You can't get stds but you can get a few minor skin conditions, in a clean academy this will be rare, but everywhere has breakouts occasionally.

EdiSco and axelb like this.
  3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Whaaat, where are you at man?

Pretty much what Deadpool said. Common is ringworm and then staph. Staph isn't likely especially in colder climates like ours. The only other thing I can think of is mat herpes but it's so rare. I've never heard of a case in the UK.

Wear rash guard and long spats, wash your face and hands after the class then get a shower at home, you'll be fine.

EdiSco, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  4. Dead_pool

If your hitting an hour plus class, bring a spare rash guard for rolling afterwards, it's much more pleasent.

You don't need branded rash guards, Nike or under armour compression tops are almost the same, sports direct do cheap ones too.

Don't wear your gear to and from the gym, change there, put your dirty stuff in a plastic bag inside your training bag, otherwise your bag will stink in a few weeks.

5. Dead_pool

Nogi special move when your tired, wear a rash guard with a t shirt on top, it'll make it much harder for people to post on you to keep posture/stand up/break guard backwards.

As a bonus when people catch on, they'll pull guard on you, so you get to work top more too!

axelb likes this.
  6. EdiSco

Is it OK to wash the kit with other clothes or does it have to be a separate run on its own?

7. Dead_pool

If it's just nogi, I put other things in too, but keep it separate with a mesh bag and put a scoop of oxy clean in too for good measure.

axelb and Mushroom like this.
  8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Lomg sleeve rashguards. I do wear shortsleeve ones too.
    Rarely wear spats, but I do so in comps where they allow it.

Just be sensible.

If Im going to training via home, I tend to wash my feet before going to class. Cos no one wants that sour stank. Especially when its toe holds and heel hook class.

Nails trimmed. Good lordy. I've had new guys come in, and I'm going through stuff with them, and I find a cut somewhere on me and I look down and see they got black talons and my blood on it...and I just want to throw up.

I actually had really long hair in a ponytail once, when I trained a bit of Sambo like 20yrs ago.

I had it cut when I rolled with a guy who had really bad B.O. and it was in my hair. I literally called my Mum to open the door in prep of me coming in and I dove straight into the shower. And even afyer like 3 washes, it wouldnt go.

So I had it shaved off the next day, cos it lingered.

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  9. Dead_pool

^ good call on the nail trimming!

10. EdiSco

I've moved to London from Edin beginning of year bro.

axelb, Dead_pool and Pretty In Pink like this.
  11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Ah that's great man, I hope you're having a blast!

12. Dead_pool

There's loads of great training in London, and plenty of friendly open mats dotted around too,
    Hope you enjoy it!!

axelb likes this.