Star Wars epsiode 7

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Travess, Nov 28, 2014.

1. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

iu-2.jpeg

You keep telling yourself that and maybe, just maybe, one day you'll genuinely believe it to be true. But it's not. :evil:

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

For a flashback effect, you say? Hmm. :thinking: That is a fascinating theory. I confess that I never gave that any thought.

However ...
    QFT.

I would put the order of "goodness" as V, IV, then III and VI in either order, then II, then Jar Jar last.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Bench press stunts your growth.

Just sayin'.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The order of goodness is III, III, III, Bloodsport, III, III, III.

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

but you've done the splits so long that you got stuck that way, so by default i'm taller than you because you can't stand up.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I hate you.

7. aikiMac

LOL! :D I almost spit out my coffee, dude! :p

8. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Attached Files:

9. aikiMac

10. Fish Of Doom

:love:

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Some reading material for you nerds who don't have a life, explaining the new lightsaber. Warning - extremely technical details that will confuse some:

www.thedoghousediaries.com/5933

12. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Honestly, III was just as disappointing to me as II or even I. The whole set of prequels were a mess, with a story that didn't need to be told. Watching the myriad of shot/reverse shot conversations made the prequels impossible to enjoy. The slapstick humor was just… flat. The action sequences were overly indulgent and empty, the intrigue was hamfisted and featured characters acting against their self interest time and again with no clear agenda or plan in sight. The whole "IT'S DARK!" angle didn't mean anything to me.

Empire was dark. The rebels had to leave their base ground beneath the ceaseless and immeasurable technological might of the Empire, Han is betrayed by his friend and captured, Luke is maimed and defeated, without realizing his power as a jedi, and just as Leia realizes the extent of her feelings for Han he's taken away from her.

That is dark. Killing a bunch of cartoon characters that no one really cared about and a few kids was just cheesy. Shouting NOOOOOOO at the end, I mean, pffft c'mon. SCHLOCK I SAY!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

On the other hand, we DID get Mace Windu

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3MXkiLIFuY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3MXkiLIFuY[/ame]

Definitely would have had Palpatine without Anakin

14. aikiMac

No, that's going to far. It has serious flaws, to be sure, but what lifted it high above I and II for me were:
    1) no Jar Jar, and no Ewoks either
    2) except for Yoda in his embarrassing fight against the Emperor, I don't recall Jedi's constantly dropping or twirling their lightsabers like adolescent uncoordinated wanna-be YouTube ninjas
    3) seeing Anakin turn into Darth Vader, esp. his rampage through the Temple - come on, that was way cool!
    4) seeing the birth of the "Storm Troopers," as we called them in the originals -- the Jedi's sure looked bad, but it didn't suck, and it made sense in the context of what we knew about the clones and Palpatine
    5) the fight between Anakin and Obi -- again not perfect, but it didn't suck

"Empire" is my favorite for all the reasons you stated. :)

15. philosoraptor

I thought that was a really poor casting choice honestly. If they had wanted Samuel L. Jackson in the film, how much more awesome would he have been as a low level smuggler? He could have yelled and shouted and done all of that Samuel L. Jackson stuff he's good at and not pretend to be an absolute emotionless and boring Jedi. Work him in after the assassination attempt on Padme, get her disguised and send her across the universe in Jackson's beatdown old freighter. Bing, bang, boom, NOW we are talking about Star Wars again.

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Master of Vapad boring??? You sir, are about to be challenged to single combat!!!!

17. aikiMac

Agreed, but the way Palpatine took out the other Jedis accompanying Windu was ... well, it's one of the reason this movie is only so-so. :mad:

An excellent suggestion, but I prefer to think that this was Jackson showing that he's not a "one trick pony," that he can do more than quote a (made up) Ezekiel chapter 25.

18. Fish Of Doom

pretty sure samuel l jackson actually chose his role, as i've been told that the purple saber was a specific request from him (and probably more like a demand at gunpoint :p). if they'd tried to cast him as a smuggler, he'd probably have made like han solo and most definitely shot first :p

19. philosoraptor

Hey, I'm biased. Really, really biased. But here we go:

1) Jar Jar was in the movie and was integral to Palpatine's grab for power. It made me doubt that there was any intelligent life on Coruscant.
    2) There was the Yoda fight, there was the dorky fight between Grievous and Obi Wan, the dorky duel between Anakin and Obi at the end, blah, blah, blah. At the end of the day, I didn't care about any of the lightsaber fights, whereas each duel in the original trilogy had me on the edge of my seat. I was invested in those!
    3) It just seemed so… stupid. I mean, honestly, I just didn't buy his inner struggle. I didn't buy that he could be manipulated so very easily by Palpatine, when Palpatine's dialog was just so on the nose.
    4) This didn't really stick out to me amidst the sea of suck. I would have been pretty happy if there was a line of dialogue that said "Sir, we sent two thousand storm troopers to the death star, but it appears that we sent the defective batch of clones. These have no hand-eye coordination whatsoever!"
    5) It made lightsaber fights on top of an erupting volcano boring. I don't even know how that sentence makes any sense, it shouldn't be possible, but Lucas managed to create a square triangle.

I don't think Jackson had the range to play a convincing jedi knight. I mean, maybe it's me, but you got a sense of who Obi Wan Kenobi was in A New Hope. You had some idea what it would be to sit down and talk to him. I didn't get that with Windu. He was just a wooden prop, moved from here to there to engage in a lightsaber duel or shot/reverse shot conversation as the plot demanded it. It wasn't his fault maybe, I mean, all of the characters were wooden. But at least having some actors who had fun being who they were would have made things more exciting. Again, comparing it to A New Hope: when Luke shoots down a TIE fighter he let's out a war whoop, the entire gang is so ecstatic that they aren't crushed by a garbage disposal that they scream for joy, even Leia, when she's in her most official role dispensing medals has a smirk. These are people doing things and they have feelings about them! The fact that they have feelings means we have feelings, we can empathize with them and share in their journey. That's what it is to care about characters and their story.

By contrast the jedi, amidala, literally every character within the prequels has so little reaction to doing what they do that they just seem like… cardboard cutouts. Sure, you can find internal justifications for why the jedi need to be so passionless, but I think if your story involves stuck up aristocrats and a weird cult of inhuman sexless magicians you need to do some serious editing. Which brings me right back to my thought that Star Wars is fundamentally about the underdogs. Exiled monks, disguised princesses, scruffy smugglers, etc., etc.

20. Fish Of Doom

but i thought you were married? :evil:

@redcoat: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiabUnjU84w"]Stephen Colbert wins and lightsaber design and Star Wars - YouTube[/ame]