Star Trek Discovery

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Pretty In Pink, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Great show, I'm enjoying the story and the rich history. Also crazy to see long scenes shot completely in Klingon. Really adds to the show.

It's also interesting to see that it's not quite the shiny Federation that we are used to. Whilst exploration and new finds are very cool and interesting, it's unusual to see that violence is the answer more than any other Star Trek TV show. I'mean enjoin the stronger personalities in the show too.

One semi-issue I have is the heavy agenda-like feel about it. Like so far I've met one ADHD cadet, two or tree gay characters, one emasculated male, and one Asian female. There is one male lead and he's a bit of an A-hole. There are two other white males in it (briefly) and they were both in prison transport.

So far I think it's great that they are pushing the diversity, but I sort of remind myself that Star Trek is known for pushing social boundaries and that if they didn't do it, nobody else would.

Although if there's an alien with 27 genders I'll stop watching :p

2. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

I have not really watched it, i put that type of thing on in the background now days, what i reduced me watchign the oringal series and some of Voyager too and the re watching of some too, the Klingons only using Klingon and requiring you to read subtiles discourages me from watching it like that, so i dont. I do how ever have soem good controversy regarding that.

Apparently the klingons are styled after trump supporters and somoen told me one fo the plot lines was taken from Voyager or something. The most amusing i got was this:anastronaut: Star Trek Discovery & Tardigrades

Also, as a fan of star trek, Blue Klingons are not good. I dont believe its pushing any boundaries though, Star Trek has already had Black and Female leads in its series. (i distinctly recall perhaps there being a homosexual line in one of the series as well, but dont quote me on it. Federation is evil though, dont belive their lies!)

Edit: The only ones i have not watched fully that i know of is, Deep space nine and orginal series.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I like it so far, although the spore/tardigrade thing was badly explained, which is annoying since the idea is genius!

I like the diversity too, it's pretty realistic considering it's the future and we'll of had a few more hundreds of years of mixing.

Think about what someone from the 1950's would make of today's society, (if you can't imagine it, just look at what trump thinks)

Although the main character Michael reminds me a little too much of a female version of moss from the It crowd.

I really hope he ends up as a guest character playing her brother.

Hannibal likes this.
  4. Dead_pool

Your not a star trek fan if you haven't watched the original series And the animated series.

End of.

Hannibal likes this.
  5. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

No true scotsman. :p

They have a animated series?

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Hand in your nerd card you just invalidated yourself....

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I don't really see it as agenda - the world population is a majority non-white and predicted to be so in the future.

It's accurate to current projection (except maybe English being the lingua franca and frankly the low number of non-white folks in the show compared to projections)

Dead_pool and Pretty In Pink like this.
  8. Pretty In Pink

That's an excellent point and a better way of thinking about it, it makes a lot of sense after eliminating worldly possessions and world hunger. As to the language barrier didn't they cover that with a translator? Like everyone could be speaking their own language but the comms unit translates?

Mangosteen and Dead_pool like this.
  9. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Jeez ..just enjoy the show ...and the brutal battle scenes ..

10. Dead_pool

Hannibal likes this.
  11. Dead_pool

Don't forget the epic rap battles

12. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I forgot about that!

The SS Shenzhou is named after the Chinese current space program which is cool

Pretty In Pink and Dead_pool like this.
  13. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

If star trek has taught me anything, double hand hammer is the best combat move. Lets not forget great fight scenes such as:

:p

(should see how much money i can get from teaching this combat sytem. )

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  14. Dead_pool

For the time The fight scenes were great, it beats TNG hands down

15. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Who can forget the heavily armed and armoured away teams consisting of one man armed with a phase rifle and 3 others with phase pistols. :p (no armour to be seen)

@Pretty In Pink We have taken over this thread in the name of the Federation, by the way. :)

16. Pretty In Pink

That. Is. AWESOME!

Also Elon Musk was mentioned in an episide which is cool.

In Stargate:SG-1 One of my favourite lines is when O'Neil is begging the General to name their first inter-galactic ship "The Enterprise".

Frodocious, Mangosteen and Dead_pool like this.
  17. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

18. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I only saw the first two episodes so far, but they were enough to make me not interested.

It's doesn't feel like Star Trek. It feels like a movie, and that's not what I like watching about Star Trek. I'm supposed to learn a lesson at the end of every episode >: O. The "no facial expression" latex Klingons kinda' weird me out too, although the culture of the Klingons represented is pretty cool.

Mangosteen likes this.
  19. Dead_pool

The first two episodes were made as a long form "exposition vehicle" it's gets a bit more episodic afterwards.

It feels more like ST mixed with BSG at the moment, I enjoy it for what it is, but it's not in the same vein as the Original Series that's for sure (not that that OS would work nowadays anyway)

20. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Captain Kirk and is brillaintjudo throws ....iconic ...

Dead_pool likes this.