Standing Locks/Grappling

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Geordie Boy, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

Can someone tell me how much focus is made on Standing grappling(arm locks etc) and locks themselves in Judo. Obviously judo is famed for the groundwork, but i don't know too much of the standing stuff(except for the actual throws).

Only in some situations going to ground will be dangerous, and locking someone up whilst still standing will be better.

Thanks

2. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

i teach only a few standing arm locks and chokes in my classes. we don't tend to focus on them as it is illegal to throw with a choke or armlock on.
    the main standing armlock is when uke puts thier arm round your waste in order to do o-goshi or some other hip throw, we just trap the arm and lock it.
    other styles such as sambo or greko roman may be better for standing grappling.
    judo is very constricted by rules of competion, however some clubs do incorporate ju-jutsu in their classes.

3. saikyou

saikyou New Member

nah. we dont focus on those stuffs. well, a fellow judoka likes to do a flying juji gatame but he rarely does it. risky.

4. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

i've tried that flying juji gatame, don't think it would work in competition or on the street.
    i do do a similar thing in ground work, but as you can imagine, its not 'flying' but the principal is the same.

5. saikyou

saikyou New Member

a flying juji gatame on the street? oh dear... ;)