Standing JUDO is Kurash

Discussion in 'Judo' started by ravikurash, Jul 20, 2015.

1. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Perhaps, but what you can find in Kurash you'd be just as able to find in sambo, so it seems moot to offer it when there are more dynamic alternatives available.

2. ravikurash

ravikurash Valued Member

In what way Kurash is similar to Sambo? Please explain. Thanks

3. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

It's not, it's another competitive format that is similar to judo, but one which has more depth, both in technique and competition, so while i agree that a person should pursue as many sports as they have the time and desire for, i can't really understand why someone would stop competing in judo at a high level to take up Kurash when there are other sports that are much easier to find, and would offer more development and challenge.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Yes.
    I don't know of any elite level judoka who also compete in wrestling, but I suppose its possible that some of the eastern judoka who were originally wrestlers keep their hand in.

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I think elite level players are effectively employees of the IJF and if your employer says you can't work for anyone else whilst also working for them, you can like it or lump it.

6. ravikurash

ravikurash Valued Member

Winning medal for the country is the greatest motivation. Suppose you are playing in Olympic and you know that you can participate both in Judo and Kurash or any other martial art. Your chances of winning medal for your country increases. Isn't that a great motivation?

7. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

So, in effect, you think Judoka who are not confident in their ability to win against the current competitive Judo field, should rally support behind Kurash so they can exploit the lack of talent in the field, comparatively of course, in the name of glory, both personal and nationalistic?

8. ravikurash

ravikurash Valued Member

On the contrary, Judoka or any other martial art player who is very very confident of their own discipline can only play in other martial art sports. After all, they have to appear for the trials.

9. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

But why would a high level Judoka train in something more restrictive than Judo itself, what do they have to benefit beyond glory?

10. ravikurash

ravikurash Valued Member

Pride of the nation is beyond anything else. It's my personal opinion though, one can object to this.

11. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Wouldn't pride, for either the nation or for oneself, be better sought through the hardship of expanding one's abilities and powers via new and difficult challenges?

12. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I don't get the attitude in this thread.

I would have presumed people would be happy to see another folk-wrestling style gain in popularity, and want to support it :confused:

It's pretty fun to watch too:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RClQIaEHLbk"]Kurash Uzbekistan - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  13. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I'm not against the style, i just don't understand why someone would advocate Judoka crossing over into a style that seems to be a technical regression, outside of cynical reasoning.

14. David Harrison

So winning at sports is cynical now?

15. ravikurash

ravikurash Valued Member

Qazaqwe,

You have misunderstood me friend. I am not advocating for Judoka's to play Kurash. It is just the other way round. I am just against Judoka's being prevented from playing in other martial art sports. I am advocating that like "Athletics", martial art should also be treated as one where a 400 metre runner can also play in 100 metre race.

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It's looks like fun to me...not sure about the lack of groundwork but let's be honest that isn't unique in the grappling world

17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Playing a devils advocate here. But wouldn't that also come across in other sports....say....MMA and BJJ?

Josh Barnett is a very active fighter within the UFC but goes out and submits unsubmittable people in Metamoris.

Muay Thai guys fight in San Shou comps, as well as kickboxing.

Freestylers also compete in Greco.

18. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Not at all, but jumping from a big pond into a small pond for the sake of national pride is.

19. David Harrison

Well, if you can't get to the top in the big pond, why not?

I've never been involved in sports of any kind, but I would imagine it's nice to have a chance at winning every now and then.

Wouldn't those people also be raising the game of the small pond and developing the sport?

20. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

But someone leaving high level judo to compete in the relatively unknown sport with questionable talent is very different from a professional fighter engaging in a contest with another professional who is expected (usually) to present a challenge to them.

As far as i can see, the only reason for a Judoka of note or ability to cross over into the sport is to develop a very good record, become an ambassador of the sport, and ultimately grow the sport and it's associations, to the point of getting on the Olympic band wagon, i'm not really bothered by it, but it is cynical.