Standards for a BJJ training facility?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by GracieFan, Aug 26, 2010.

1. GracieFan

GracieFan Valued Member

I've been checking around my area for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and there's a ton of places who claim to offer training.

Thing is, BJJ is a relatively new martial art, and too many places figure offering MMA training is the same as specifically training BJJ BY ITSELF.

I keep finding places who offer a "fighting system" which "incorporates" BJJ, along with wrestling and striking....but I don't want to become a professional fighter.

Is there some kind of universal standard I could look for before choosing a place to train?

I'm not in a hurry or anything; it would just be nice to have the information.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

3. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

There's a ranking system, right?
    If you want a straight up orthodox gi BJJ school, that might be a little difficult, but BJJ (especially nogi) is everywhere.

4. Stanislovas

Stanislovas Valued Member

I've been doing BJJ for a little while, but I can tell this place checks out. OP, if you can shake it, I would at least recommend you visit this place.

5. Killa_Gorillas

It appears to be Rafael Lovato Jr's school. Thats a pretty solid guarantee of quality right there.

6. Killa_Gorillas

Have managed to get to a class ot OKBJJ yet graciefan? If so how's it working out? :)

7. GracieFan

GracieFan Valued Member

Weell, I've pretty much decided on Lovato's school, but my wife and I are both still in college, so at the moment we're trying to figure out a time when we could both attend at least two beginner's classes a week.

They have a really cool class setup.
    You basically go to beginner's classes until they feel you're ready to move up.
    You can go to as many or as few per week as you want (no attendance requirement or contract setup).

Main reason we want to go to two per week is to really dive in headfirst.
    Plus that would make it harder to procrastinate. :p

8. Killa_Gorillas

Fair enough :)

One session a week might still be good though and the two of you could drill/roll with what you've learnt together at home? I could only make one session a week when I first started, and although it's not ideal it still was better than nothing. Just a thought. Hope you get a chance to train soon! :cool: