stances

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by rocky, Apr 26, 2004.

1. rocky

rocky Valued Member

Hi all,
    I practice Kung Fu but think this topic is best covered in the boxing section.
    I'm left-handed so should stand in a southpaw stance when i spar with kick boxers/boxers.This feels very awkward to me though and find myself standing in orthodox stance instead.Even though it is my weakest hand doing the "power shots" everything else(footwork,slipping,weaving,etc) is a lot more natural in this stance.
    Does anyone out there know any famous boxers who lead with their strongest hand?I would like to watch them to see how they fight as many of my sparring partners tell me my fighting style looks unusual.

Rocky

2. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

There are no boxers that I can think of

1. You are correct you should have a big power shot waiting (that requires your strongest hand) after a jab.

2. Also leading with your strongest hand is not always best for jabbing. Jab should not be all about power, more speed and power. The point being that jabs are quick to catch your opponent. If your jabs are more about power than speed then your opponet can avoid them.

If your punches (espec. your jab) are too slow and can be avoided then it doesnt matter how powerful they are (because they never arrive at a final destination), whereas punches that are quick are more likely to connect and the speed that they have will give them some energy anyway.

IMHO

3. rocky

rocky Valued Member

Thanks for the reply semphoon,
    The only boxers i managed to find that lead with their strongest side are Don Cockell and Henry Cooper-apparantly they were both left handers that fought orthodox.
    I have no problem with the speed of my punches,just the over reliance of my left.Would you suggest sticking to orthodox and working on my right hand or going southpaw and working on everything else(footwork,etc)?

4. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

We all know the logic behind the dominant-hand leading stance and the weaker-hand leading stance. As for your question I do not see any problem.

The jab-cross(or hook) combination is not for a jab creating an opening with the cross ultimately exploiting it. The jab also helps increase the power of the cross by stretching the waist. This gives the cross an extra zip when your hips turn to deliver. Therefore each punches after the jab actually get stronger because each turn "winds up" the next strike (this however, will depend on your fitness level and skill).

In relation to your question, you will have to use a 1-2-3 combination if your in an orthodox stance to take full advantage of your power hand.

However, for tactical reasons, it is good to train in both stances in order to confuse your opponent. However, I would advise that you train in what you are comfortable in first.

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Marvelous Marvin Hagler :D

Right handed southpaw.

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I can say that I am a right hand dominant, but i fight southpaw.
    I only write and draw with my right, i do everything else left handed. My Dad is genuinly ambidextrous, so i think thats where i get it from.
    That and in KF you supposed to be able to use both hands equally anyway.

7. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Haggler used to mix it during fights just to throw of his opponent. He's fight some rounds authordox, some south paw.

Must have been very difficult for his opponents (although it did seem to bother sugar ray :D )

EDIT- Im a right handed southpaw.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2004
  8. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

I'm a lefty as well. It gets kind of annoying reading a book (No, I don't train by book only, I just read for fun) and trying to visualize myself into the context but trying to flip the sides over. Best bet is to go "switch" and, well, switch stances from orthodox (corect spelling Semphoon) to southpaw at will.