Stamping Motion

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Mandras, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Mandras

Mandras Eats Ninjas For Breakfast

Hello all,
    I've always been told that the reason for stamping motion was 1. to check the balance and 2.to increase the mass at the moment the strike/block/whatever lands.

However I can't quite get my head around this idea of ''increasing the mass''. Increasing the power, sure, no problem, but I've been unable to find anything that explains how the mass itself is increased by the motion.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated :)

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I think the answer is that it doesn't, it's just a poor translation of why the technique is performed that way. It's the same with the theory of power really isn't it? You don't increase "mass" as part of ToP, but that's how it is phrased.

Mitch

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Mass isn't increased by the motion. It's not true.

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I'm not a TKD guy but stamping is stamping. If you get your opponent a wrist lock, you then stamp on the ground (by pulling your leading leg back and land your back leg forward). This will create a fast jerking motion on your opponent's body. Before your opponent figures out what has just happened, your next punch already land on his face. It's good distraction IMO.

You can see that stamping at 0.24, 0.53, and 1.07.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwZOqQ49rGM"]燕é’è…¿ - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  5. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Ok it really depends on what the movement is. For example in the W shape blocks in Toi Gye tul, the stamping indicates that the attack is from 1 side, the side you are stamping. This can be contrasted with some of the W Shape blocks in the final pattern learned by 6th degrees. Some of those have stamping & others don't. The ones that do not involve a stamping motion are for defense against 2 attacks as compared to the 1 with stamping.

Now also movement #38 has a twin vertical punch done with stamping motion. This however has a different reason & significance. It is done during this 38th movement or count, & done with the stamping motion to signify Gen Choi's anger at his beloved homeland is still artifically divided. This is why the twin vertical punch is used as well, to punch both sides. The stamping here indicates his anger & desire to smash through the world's most heavily foritified border on the 38th paralell. This final pattern named Tong Il - which means reunification in Korean to signify the anger that Gen Choi had that Korea was still in 2

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

just came across this thread and a thought popped into my head: has anyone tried to blend TKD with bajiquan or xingyiquan (both are hard kung fu styles that make wide use of heavy stepping and stamping motions to generate structure for their techniques).

7. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

i might be getting a bit off topic here but i'd like to know a bit of explination for the purpose of stamping in bajiquan and the like? i've seen a lot of stamping going on in baji.

8. Fish Of Doom

it's the same thing as when you push off the rear leg but explosive instead of sustained, basically. for a more detailed explanation you'd have to ask someone who does the style and is well-versed in physics and biomechanics.

also bajiquan ftw

9. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

Also..... guess what i found....
    well i'll link it here =P

Its a manga ABOUT bajiquan and kung fu in general. i read like the first ten chaps. pretty good.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  10. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

In western swordsmanship it's called an appel. It is used as a distraction against your opponent. Especially useful in feints.

The Bear.

11. Fish Of Doom

WAY ahead of you dude, i suggested it in the graphic novels thread ages ago :p

also, you might want to remove that link as it's against the TOS.

12. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

darn. is a nice manga. and complete too. =D

Removed the link. sorry. can anyone link me to the tos. i wanna read it over again, and cant find it -_- -_- -_-

Oh wait. found it.

13. Fish Of Doom

it's not the TOS, it's the scanlations that are illegal in the first place

14. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

ahhhh. sorry about that =(.
    Third world country mate. Piracy's like eating and sleeping here.

15. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

That was TKD??

It looked like one of those dances from the cultural revolution.

Victorious flowers fight the evil capitalists to deliver bountiful honey for Chairman Mao.

16. Taizu

Taizu Valued Member

Nope, not even close to TKD. Great control though.

And those were Nationalist flags in the background.(the other side of the civil war) ;)

As for the stamping, I agree with Polar Bear, use as a distraction or as an attack(stamp on foot).

17. YoungMan68

YoungMan68 Valued Member

Styomping motions serve several purposes in Tae Kwon Do, depending largely on the context.

In Palgue Yook and Chil, the stomp serves as a way to prevent the opponent from retreating and also to crush the foot.

In a larger context, Kumgang for example, the stomp serves as a way to strengthen and create density for the musculoskeletal system. One of the primary purposes of forms is to make the body strong, and foot stomps serve as a way to help accomplish this.

18. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Hard to say on this one.

In sword work a stamp can be executed coming out of, say, a one-legged stance so as to add velocity and commitment to a particularly dynamic technique such as Straight-Descending Cut. And, of course, there is also the matter of coming down on something such as an opponent's foot. Some recent thoughts I have run across also cited the idea of setting one's foot on questionable terrain prior to executing a technique.

As far as increasing the density of the bone, or challenging the integrity of joints so as to develop them, I think this might be a more modern consideration. I don't think sports medicine was developed to this level when TKD was first thought up. OTOH, though, Chinese Medicine has often looked towards major points on the bottoms of the feet that may be stimulated by regular pounding. Just a thought.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

19. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Stamping motions in patterns are something I considered when writting CHTKDHS Vol2.. and IMO (and Id love to cross reference this with Shotokan Kata.. but never seem to have the time), they are simply stamping kicks.

You will notice that a great many stamps occur on 2 handed moves, such a twin vertical fist and twin upset fist etc.. in realistic application terms, these are often moves that have seen both wrists grabbed.. hence you stamp the opponents knee etc. as you hands are tied up.

On single technique moves, they are mostly perfromed in side on stances (L-stance, sitting stance etc.) and sometimes while turning rearwards as well (back fist in Kwang-Gae), where either the front leg is closer to the opponent than the rear hand so a stamp is used or it is used as a prerequisiue to the strike when you turn. This I`m only considering at the moment as it may simply be a "take" on other stamping motions used prior to TKD, but I feel pretty positive about the double handed stamps, because it simply makes sense, and the applications seem to indicate.

Take it as you will, but food for thought I hope. Notice the stamps in Toi-Gye also involve two handed motions!!!

Stuart

20. YoungMan68

YoungMan68 Valued Member

My theory on that is that modern science explains what traditional students observed over generations of performing techniques a certain way. For example, my instructor told us for years that certain techniques like stomps built up the body and joints and made the body and legs stronger. But without a scientific background, he could not explain why. Modern science can tell you whay that happens.