Staff training in Atlanta

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Antipaladin, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Antipaladin

Antipaladin New Member

Anyone know of any instructors/schools that teach Jo or Hanbo without having to matriculate in a more comprehensive program? For example, Aikido schools won't train you exclusively in staff. I've done traditional Jujutsu for 10 years and want to focus on a weapon.

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Does it have to be the staff? A Japanese style? Etc.

Filipino martial arts don't teach exclusively weapons, but they start with weapons. Bit shorter than a hanbo, our sticks. But in the same family.

3. Antipaladin

Antipaladin New Member

Thanks for the reply. I'd like to train with a staff and preferentially Jo (mid) length but I'm open to other than Japanese styles with that weapon. I've been doing solo forms based on videos and books but I don't want to get too far down the path only to have to unlearn bad habits.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

What style of Jujutsu?

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, fair enough. Good luck to you. Sorry that I don't know any kobudo teachers (or anyone else for that matter) in Atlanta. Nice city though. Paid a visit a few years back.

6. rabid_wombat

rabid_wombat Valued Member

May could try contacting some of the folks from the Shuri-te Bujutsu-Kai, there are some related schools in the ATL area, and the seminars that get put on through there can yield some interesting networking opportunities as far as finding stuff like that. It may still be a long-shot, but worth looking at. I attended a small seminar and there were guys from all kinds of backgrounds there.

7. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe